It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF developing terrifying swarms of tiny unmanned drones that can hover, crawl and even kill target

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

You're only focusing on the negative aspects of the Military Industry. For a change, can you focus on the positive aspects and the benefits of the R&D that has gone into the sector since the Wars? (WW1, WW2)? You'll be surprised how much of it you personally depend upon or utilize in your day to day life

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zarniwoop
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I wouldn't attack the developers. There is nothing wrong technology development or making a profit. It's the people who want to use the technology for the wrong reasons that should be targeted. Take away the market and the supplier will work on something else.
Agree with you completely. I love technology which has benefited billions around the world with its good uses compared to millions with its bad uses.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Under Water

It was the first thing that came to mind when I read the op. every time I've ever come across the description of the locusts, it always seemed like something that just made no sense at all.... Until now.

As far as the tormenting part.... Imagine them being armed with non lethal weapons and being used against the public to enforce certain, distasteful laws that we might otherwise rebel against.

Imagine swarms of these things being used to attack and disperse a crowd, or mob of protesters, or even rebels once the SHTF!

Nova had an episode on a few weeks ago called Rise of the Drones. In that episode they showed declassified technology of a small swarm of tiny drones being controlled by only 1 operator. The operator controls one drone and all the other drones in the swarm fly in perfect formation following the lead drone wherever it goes.
They showed a demonstration of the lead drone flying a figure 8 pattern and all the other drones followed it without even crashing into each other when they crossed the center point of the figure 8.

There is no need to have thousands of operators to operate a swarm of these things, one operator can control an entire swarm.

The technology that was demonstrated in the show was declassified so you can only imagine what the classified stuff must be like.

www.pbs.org...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TardacusI`m pretty sure that they already have these things so it`s just a matter of time before our enemies also get these things.I wonder if china has hacked our computers and stolen the technology for this yet?
havn't you seen the toy planes, helicopters etc etc at shops around the US (Made In China)?
They're about the same size these days which can easily be modified to do the same thing...remote surveillance and/or offensive purposes. I'm sure they have their military version(s) blueprints waiting to be produced in mass quantities for exports

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Such a great story OP... I love watching the advancements of technology, it's truly fascinating... I get why some are paranoid, but don't hate on the people for being geniuses and coming up with this stuff, just hate on the people who use the technology for bad things...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by Northwarden

They are certainly no more dangerous than a nuclear weapon is.

The Russians stole the technology and it actually issued in an era of peace by the two superpowers who instead chose to fight their proxy wars instead of annihilating the planet.

By your logic, should we mass produce hellfire missles because they are far less dangerous than bunker buster bombs? How about buying a handgun because rocket launchers are "more dangerous"? Besides, mutually assured destruction applies to accountable entities (the US, Russia, etc) who own weapons of mass production such as chemical weapons or nukes. By direct contrast, drones, especially micro-drones, are a stealth weapon. This means they are the proxy method by which the military will circumvent wmds.

They are far from a deterrent to other countries, rather, they are all lined up for candidacy as a frontline weapon of choice!

And odds are that both Russia and China already have their own programs for these well under way. It would be foolish of us not to pursue the technology.

A few unlaced examples : If a country uses depleted uranium for their weaponry, should other countries use them to keep up with the Jones, or aim at outlawing them because they leave permanent radiation damage on our planet? If a country decides to chip as many residents of our country as they can for identification purposes, should we retaliate by chipping all their citizens, or simply try to prevent the plan from succeeding? If Russia decides to fly their planes over our Arctic, should we retaliate by flying fleets over Siberia, or should we negotiate with Russia to prevent the intrusion?

What if kids start playing with them and prick their finger on the business end?

Are you also against the technology of land mines which children walk over every single day?

What?? Yes, I'm against it. What would you say if it was your child, trusting to walk on someone elses military tech who is intent on killing your citizens? Should we spread poison vaccines all over their land because their land mines are more dangerous than squaline?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I want to see tiny MANNED drones. They will be flown by babies. Much better.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I WANT ONE!!!!

They already exist though and they are WAY better then this crap they even have ones that are as big as a wasp that can sting you with poison and kill you then fly away. With the nano technology they can do some crazy stuff, there are video of them on youtube I saw a while back.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Poor creatures who end up eating the "insects" and other animals who prey on "birds".

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Wasn't there an old Scifi movie about an old lady fighting little robot like critters that came in a saucer that had a USA flag on it. I think it was on twilight zone.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The real problem is not the tech it is that we as a species are not ready for this kind of power. We will reap what we sow and our arrogance will be our downfall.

It is only a matter of time before we reach the tech limit and fall over the edge.
edit on 20-2-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WormwoodSquirm

How sad for you.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

It reminds me of a terrifying dream I had as a teen. I'm in my early sixties. Never thought I'd see the day when it might become all too real. TKS for the post.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Interesting and frightening at the same time. I wonder how they will be controlled. Like if each drone will be controlled by one individual or if they will be networked together so that many can be commanded at one time, sort of like Red Alert?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hp1229

You're only focusing on the negative aspects of the Military Industry. For a change, can you focus on the positive aspects and the benefits of the R&D that has gone into the sector since the Wars? (WW1, WW2)? You'll be surprised how much of it you personally depend upon or utilize in your day to day life

No, I wouldn't be surprised at all. BUT... why was war required for those advancements? Why couldn't they have come from peaceful research rather than trying to find new, better ways of killing people? It's not like NASA, where the microgravitic environment of space was a necessity for certain advancements. And does anyone in, say, Somalia benefit from those advancements? No; they're poor. Somalians don't have what "They" want, so they "can't afford" those benefits. All those who put money ahead of people think Somalians are "useless" and treat them accordingly. And you wonder why they had to resort to piracy... who could seriously think they want to be pirates? "They" are stealing from most of humanity to benefit Themselves. America is just one of the next targets. Hope everyone's ready for it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thought Provoker

Originally posted by hp1229

No, I wouldn't be surprised at all. BUT... why was war required for those advancements? Why couldn't they have come from peaceful research rather than trying to find new, better ways of killing people?

Because that is not what happened and humans are not lovey dovey flower grasping hippies who kiss other nations. We must fight for ours so that is why these developments have taken place during and for war.

I repeat Humans are not flowers. Look at history. I am appalled when I hear terms like, "why didnt we", "we could've", etc. There is no going back to change a gun blast to a kiss. Humans will fight for what they want and need for their families. The planet is made up of many nations who do not always agree and the further ahead we (US and Canada) are at war strategies and technologies the better we will be able to defend our choices of life.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Man has an awesome ability to create things.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxinfidelxXx
reply to post by WormwoodSquirm

How sad for you.

really now? You make me laugh. If you could live in a mountain ocean town near Vancouver (which for many years ranks as the highest and best overall quality of life city in the world) having dual citizenship and raise your kids with healthcare and a multicultural education in a relatively crime free place you would not choose to?

I see you are CDN so perhaps you are saying so sorry I was born in America. Well thats not how I see it. North America is my home. I have experienced the States and Canada from coast to coast and southern BC is the best place to live by far.
edit on 20-2-2013 by WormwoodSquirm because: to add

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

No, I wouldn't be surprised at all. BUT... why was war required for those advancements? Why couldn't they have come from peaceful research rather than trying to find new, better ways of killing people? It's not like NASA, where the microgravitic environment of space was a necessity for certain advancements. And does anyone in, say, Somalia benefit from those advancements? No; they're poor. Somalians don't have what "They" want, so they "can't afford" those benefits. All those who put money ahead of people think Somalians are "useless" and treat them accordingly. And you wonder why they had to resort to piracy... who could seriously think they want to be pirates? "They" are stealing from most of humanity to benefit Themselves. America is just one of the next targets. Hope everyone's ready for it.

Are you speaking on behalf of humanity and all the nations?
Many of the innovations were accidental and/or a byproduct of other related work/R&D. Nobody decided to have a war just so they can invent technologies
War is a byproduct of politics. R&D is a necessity regardless of Wars though many accidental and stumbled upon innovations during wars were just that..a technology whose benefits were not visuallized until the population growth around the globe or until other methods and technologies were able to sufficiently mass produce the goods for consumers.
LINK1
LINK2
Somalians have a government. It is another nation which was squandered but needs to start fresh like many other countries which arose from dust and have made much better advancements than somalia. If the people of somalia and the government of somalia wants to progress, then they can certainly do so. Nobody is stopping them. It is not upto NASA or anyone else to shove their findings down the throats of somalians and make them available. I'm sure the somalian government has a lot to do with the countries progress. If they need help and genuinely seek international help then I'm sure the doors are wide open for negotiations by their Government.
edit on 20-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
lol, like they wouldn't harden them against EMP too?

But good comment.

I'm not sure there is a way that you can block a magnetic field. Especially one that is strong enough to overload electrical circuits at large distances. I could be wrong though.

Magnetic fields don't overload electrical circuits. Don't do much of anything at all. A big time-varying magnetic field could induce some currents in long conductors but remember, these things are small and not trailing wires. Also a free-space mag field like that will fall off as the sixth power of the distance, so not very effective.

EMP is a radio surge. Not a magnetic field. There's a magnetic component to it, but it's not a straight h-field.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join