It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise of The Drones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
The Nova series on PBS had a new episode tonight called rise of The Drones, It was a pretty amazing show.

You can watch it here on the PBS website.

www.pbs.org...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I wasn`t aware of the level of development that they have currently reached in drone development, it was truly amazing.

Program Description

Drones. These unmanned flying robots–some as large as jumbo jets, others as small as birds–do things straight out of science fiction. Much of what it takes to get these robotic airplanes to fly, sense, and kill has remained secret. But now, with rare access to drone engineers and those who fly them for the U.S. military, NOVA reveals the amazing technologies that make drones so powerful as we see how a remotely-piloted drone strike looks and feels from inside the command center. From cameras that can capture every detail of an entire city at a glance to swarming robots that can make decisions on their own to giant air frames that can stay aloft for days on end, drones are changing our relationship to war, surveillance, and each other. And it's just the beginning. Discover the cutting edge technologies that are propelling us toward a new chapter in aviation history as NOVA gets ready for "Rise of the Drones."

Some of these drones are so small you could hold one in one hand.The small ones can fly in formations completely on their own without any input from humans.
It`s kind of scary how these things could be used to spy on civilians and we would never know it.

The way the little ones zipped around in formations reminded me a lot of the UFO orb videos I have seen on here.
If I heard them correctly they said that a drone flying at 17,500 feet could see and identify an object on the ground as small as 6X6 inches.
What seems really amazing is that a drone can video and save 1 million terabytes of video every day.

near the end of the program was the most amazing thing, a full size aircraft that looks like half of a flying disk with no vertical tail fins, that can fly and land itself with no input from humans.
They said their ultimate goal is to create drones that can think for themselves and it seems that they are getting very close to doing it.I`m guessing that within 10-15 years we will have drones that think for themselves.

edit on 24-1-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Welp... that settles it.

Somebody needs to stop the military industrial complex before it makes so many drones that just a flew elites could kill everyone in the world.

There's no more question about it... the verdict is in.

These war-lovin' mofos gotta be stopped!

I laugh but I'm really not joking.

We got the WRONG people in charge and almost anybody would be better suited for the job.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Reminiscient of The Terminator: The time when machines can fly, think and kill on their own.

I'm surprised the show did highlight the criticism of drone use. But, drones used for assassinations while violating national sovereignty and international law are the issues I would have liked to see more of. I feel as if the farther away from the scene, the easier it becomes to maintain. No one is harmed. It's tidy. It's surgical. Is there a connection that a human's life has just been obliterated into red?

I agree with the dude above me about this being in the wrong hands. Imagine Corporations building these--for business, surveillance, killing (without due process)--I feel as if the line between them and governments will evaporate even more so.

This reminds me, I saw a news segment the other day about drones as toys for children. Could you believe it if we saw miniature drones in every stocking next Christmas. If I could just find the list of children who have died from drone use in Yemen, Pakistan, Somalia, etc. and insert it here. How awful.
edit on 24-1-2013 by Jess117 because:

top topics

join