It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is there a severe obesity epidemic?!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Silent Koala

People are not machines and scientists DO NOT understand metabolism. If only it was as easy as calories in and calories out mathematics! No one would be overwieght

But human metabolism is affected by hormones. Spikes in insulin cause fat to accumulate in the belly area. Thyroid hormones can be low for decades before being diagnosed. Excess androgens in woman cause weight gain.

You see - human bodies are conditioned to store fat in the event of a famine. This is a vital and crucial survival mechanism. There are many many undiagnosed conditions that will cause extreme wieght gain, even in the face of calorie deprevation.

Someone made a very very good point here.

Please question the assumptions that the OP and everybody else is making

news.yahoo.com...

US Kids Consuming Fewer Calories

Between 1999 and 2010, children's average energy intake dropped from 2,258 calories per day to 2,100 calories per day for boys; and from 1,831 calories per day to 1,755 calories per day for girls. The study included U.S. children ages 2 to 19. The most significant drops in energy intake were for boys ages 2 to 11, and for girls ages 12 to 19. The findings are surprising considering that childhood obesity levels in the country as a whole have not declined, said study researcher R. Bethene Ervin, of the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Think what you want but look around it speaks for itself.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by fireysnowman29

I have been a long time lurker, but never joined until I saw your post. Did not read all the replies, but food in the US is something I find really troubling. The food we find at the average grocery store is a recipe for disease and obesity. It is very costly to eat healthy, whole, real foods that are not genetically modified or packed with unhealthy additives. Combine that with a general laziness, and boom - obesity. Add to that the many meds that we are put on. I know too many people who are pumped full of meds that make them lethargic.

It is very hard to eat healthy. I mean real healthy, not like a slim fast shake for breakfast and a microwave Lean Cuisine for lunch. Everywhere you look there are temptations, TV, radio, internet ads, friends posting stuff on Facebook, driving though town. If you are into food, you are going to have a hard time, strong will or not. I am really passionate about this stuff, but still have troubles saying no to foods that I know are harmful.

Plus, more and more young kids are occupied with Ipads and whatnot, instead of actually experiencing real life....you know, like moving around outside and picking up a real basketball (god forbid), or riding a real skate board.

I was an 80's child, and my parents, although divorced, had plenty of time to take me out and play sports, go to the beach, go camping, and such. I have to wonder if today parents are so busy trying to make ends meet that they do not have time for these things, and do not have time to cook healthy, and that could contribute to obesity in children. Just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Here's a thought:

I recently learnt that in America, places like walmart provide fat people with powered vehicles to travel around the shop in...

Here in australia, the fat people walk. A very few people own their own, but usually they are people who are truely disabled.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I believe the BMI chart you see at the doctors office if for just an average person in height and weight 4 foot nothing and weighing in at 130 lbs. A person who is much taller will ofcourse be heavier so the bmi will no match their chart unless he weighing 200 lbs at 6'3". One ounce more and you are obese. Someone should make a better chart. I also explained this to my doctor but ofcourse he didn't say anything.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
the BMI is a ratio of height to weight, hence why they can apply it to someone of any height. obviously there are more subtle differences in body builds than just size, but it does cater for height.
edit on 22-2-2013 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Almost every single professional athlete is considered obese.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I know exactly whats happening its really not rocket science and i know im right about this.

First the BMI scale is BS we need a new scale, it does not take muscle mass or a persons frame into account. A much better tool is Body Fat % to determine body composition. Even the guy who invented it did not intend it to be used this way. Their are a ton of fat people in the States but id say only about 40% are truly overweight.

That BMI scale puts a lot of people in the overweight category who arent. With that said we still have way to many overweight people here for sure!! So im not downplaying it. America is still indeed fat.

Processed foods with tons of calories and little nutrition with a lack of any physical exercise is why people are so fat. Most people do not realize how many calories they are taking in. Go to a Golden Corral buffet and see people pile 4-5 plates several inches high of food. These people are taking in 3000 calories in one sitting!

Then no one wants to exercise. Oh they have time to watch dumb reality TV shows, surf the web and get on Facebook or play Xbox. But no no no time to exercise. :/ Wanna lose weight? Whole foods fruits and vegetables and lean meats and water water water. Go in a 500 calories deficit per day and exercise 4-5 days a week for 45 minutes. Thats really all it takes for most people to lose weight as 99% do not have a medical condition but a excuse condition.

I weighed 248 in Oct of 2012 4 months later im down to 205 and getting buff as hell. If i sit around and play video games and eat processed junk i get fat as crap. But i dont blame my thyroid i know its due to me sitting on my ass and consuming large amounts of calories from processed garbage.

My 16 y/o son has to be forcefully dragged out the house to exercise or he would play XBox 24/7! And there are tons of kids and adults just like this.

He wants to be military and doesn't even have the drive to get off his ass and go running. Its sad at 38 years old im in better shape than 90% of people half my age at least!

The excuse about thyroid, healthy food is to expensive, i have no time to exercise, etc etc are that JUST EXCUSES!

And most people get mad when you call them out on their excuses. But the saying the truth hurts is so true.

People will work for a nice house or car but wont work for good health the most important thing one can have.

So to sum it up easily accessible high calorie low nutrition addictive processed foods in combination with lack of real physical activity is the reason America is so fat.
edit on 22-2-2013 by hellbjorn012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
My problem with BMI is that weighing 175lbs and 5'9" it was claimed by my physician that I as obese. This was unbelievable due to the fact that my pant size was 30 and had switched to the older child shirts (also some older child pants) because the size small adult shirts are more like nightgowns on me. He claimed I needed to lose about 40lbs. BMI (at least at the time) did not take into consideration that my bone structure is significantly larger than a lot of people. Heck I can see my wrist joint bones protruding out. My high school ring is size 13.

I also think that we have over-simplified diets because what works for one will not work for another. Certain food even what is considered light do not metabolize well for me. I learned a long time ago what worked well for me and what did not. Also I broke from the 3 meal dinner table. Nothing was worse than feeling hungry all day and sitting at a dinner table. It worked so much better for me just to lightly snack all day with maybe one light regular meal just to fulfill family obligations of spending some time together.

Unhealthy food besides cost as some used I would say it is TASTE. Healthy food is never going to compete in taste with greasy unhealthy food that many times is enhanced to be more flavorful. That is something that one has to learn to live with. I grew up in the south where everything is fried or boiled in oil and that was the best tasting stuff you can put in your mouth but, it really isn't very good for you. I suspect several deaths in the family could be attributed to this way of cooking.
edit on 22/2/13 by toochaos4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myomistress
I agree with posts above about the average income of Americans to date. Many don't have the money to buy fresh foods or healthy foods because that whatever pack of ramen (I wouldn't know, I don't like Ramen so don't eat it plus when I do, it makes my heart act up) are only a few cents and huzzah!

Eating healthy is not as expensive as people make it out to be. Everyone claims its about money but people seem to have no problems with lining up Black Friday and buying a new LCD TV they don't even need. Go to the shopping malls they are packed during the day with people spending and racking up credit card debt.

These people can certainly afford healthier food they just dont want it.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by hellbjorn012

I agree...they just don't want to and perhaps a lot of it has to do with the taste issue that was mentioned in the last few posts. Many people I'm sure have never even experienced the taste of real whole natural food, so when they do have the chance (or are forced) to eat it, it's bound to taste very strange, without all the fat and flavour enhancers and other artificial additives. Their sense of taste has been ruined, badly trained by lifetimes of rubbish commercial junk, so it's should be no surprise that they can't stand the healthy stuff with cleaner softer flavours. With time, our palates are re-educated to appreciate real food if we give them a chance. I know from experience that a mouthful of ice cream after a few weeks on a vegan diet will feel like I've just drunk a pint of double cream.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I see many on the first page saying it's the foods that are available at the Markets fault?

I guess some avoid the produce Dept?
I wonder how many actually prepare their own food from scratch instead of unwrapping or opening a box for dinner?

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I will never be a total vegan as I love my lean meats and the protein sources for building muscle. Egg whites, chicken breast, sirloin, roast beef, salmon etc.

Ive never liked green veggies but i just got hooked on juicing. Someone mentioned earlier that the fruits hide the taste of the green veggies and i find that true.

Me and the wife got a juicer last week and ive been drinking at least 1-2 juices a day. Ill put kale, cucumber, celery, oranges, strawberry, kiwi, apples etc in it .

Really cant get much healthier than this. I recommend it. Ive found that even in the past when i ate better and got fit before I still was tired more than I am now. This juice is really helping my energy levels. Ive lost and gained weight a 100 times over the years and im big into strength training and running so i know my body. The juice is def helping with the energy levels!!!!!!

So this is a good way for people who dont like veggies to get them.

I drink the juice along with my lean meats for most my nutrition.

I know some people are totally against meat. But imo you cant go wrong with nuts, fruits, veggies, and lean meats. Unmodified If it grows, swims, flys or walks its ok.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

I was one of six children. As adults, we range from thin to medium to fat. There is more than calorie in = calorie out going on, whatever it is. Now more and more babies are fat, which is really interesting.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   
You make some very good points. Cooking in lard is better than cooking in corn or soybean oil. And different people thrive on different diets, even among siblings.

Originally posted by toochaos4u
My problem with BMI is that weighing 175lbs and 5'9" it was claimed by my physician that I as obese. This was unbelievable due to the fact that my pant size was 30 and had switched to the older child shirts (also some older child pants) because the size small adult shirts are more like nightgowns on me. He claimed I needed to lose about 40lbs. BMI (at least at the time) did not take into consideration that my bone structure is significantly larger than a lot of people. Heck I can see my wrist joint bones protruding out. My high school ring is size 13.

I also think that we have over-simplified diets because what works for one will not work for another. Certain food even what is considered light do not metabolize well for me. I learned a long time ago what worked well for me and what did not. Also I broke from the 3 meal dinner table. Nothing was worse than feeling hungry all day and sitting at a dinner table. It worked so much better for me just to lightly snack all day with maybe one light regular meal just to fulfill family obligations of spending some time together.

Unhealthy food besides cost as some used I would say it is TASTE. Healthy food is never going to compete in taste with greasy unhealthy food that many times is enhanced to be more flavorful. That is something that one has to learn to live with. I grew up in the south where everything is fried or boiled in oil and that was the best tasting stuff you can put in your mouth but, it really isn't very good for you. I suspect several deaths in the family could be attributed to this way of cooking.
edit on 22/2/13 by toochaos4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by hellbjorn012

Thyroid is not an excuse, it is an epidemic, especially for women. Low body temperature is one clue.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I completely agree with you. Eating habits and exercise habits are both so important. I saw an image awhile back that would have a box of junk food and a box of fruits/vegetables, the point was to show what you could buy in place of the crap you are eating.It showed, frozen pizza and a bag of chips and a contatiner ofcookies, for instance, beside a container of fresh fruit, a fresh vegetable and a package of chicken breast. Everyone is full of excuses, same with working out....I can't afford a gym member ship. That doesn't matter there are workouts you can do at home, with no equipment. No one wants to accept the responsibility, and we are passing on these bad behaviors to our children. Just my 2 cents worth!
edit on 22-2-2013 by cappy85 because: None

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Matt1951

I have Primary (Hashimotos) and Secondary (Pituitary)Hypothyroidism, very hard to control and I am of normal weight. But I eat healthy and am very active. Turns out the activity, helps to give me more energy, once you get started!
edit on 22-2-2013 by cappy85 because: None

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Now this is definitely true.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join