It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sorry, its all I got" = I am too lazy to go to the bank.....

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
So the things you sell are indeed not available in large chain stores?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

At least the owners don't care, I guess. Then again, they don't have to deal with the hassle firsthand. I wonder why they don't want to maximize sales by making sure it progresses past the first five unfortunate payers.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Those look awesome! I know how hard it is to take photos of food too!

If you have a panini press (or even an cheap foreman grill) try this:

-sourdough bread
-pesto (both insides of bread)
-marinated onions
-marinated green/red peppers
-thin sliced real turkey
-provolone

You can use some good butter like Kerrygold on the outside, or go cheap like me and use mayonaise. I swear people can't tell the diff. when you use mayonaise vs. butter on a grilled sandwich.

Just don't use low-fat mayo...I made that mistake once. Just don't do it...it's not pretty!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I guess the people saying it's ok to hand over a large note for a small purchase have never worked in retail before.

I worked for some years in a supermarket and a year in a regular store, all I can say is I will never work in retail again.

If even 2 or 3 people hand in a large note for one small item that's all the change gone from the till and then your screwed.

Seriosly if you hand over a large note for somthing small the retailer will hate your guts, back when I worked in the regular grocery store to start the day I was only given £60 in change and the boss used to have a go at me if I ran out of change and the customers would have a go at me for refusing small sales with large notes, I could not win so I eventually quit one day, I had enough.

I remember one guy first customer of the day at 6 in the morning kicking the counter and swearing and shouting at me because I told him to go to the bank for change, He asked for 35p gum, after I rang it up in the till he hands me a £50 note and askes for all his change in £1 coins.

edit on 19-2-2013 by NeoSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I figured it out, OP. You're not lazy, you're just unprepared.

If this is a pattern, then why aren't you compensating for it? If it only happens certain times during the month, prepare yourself. Instead of having to go to the bank 3-4 times a day, go once and get how much you estimate will cover the days influx of large bills. Simply having more money won't make you a target for robbery more than you already would be, but going back and forth to the bank does. It only makes sense to eliminate as much of that risk as you can, and it solves your "problem" as a bonus. If you don't, which is fine, you are making the choice to deal with the "problem" you have.

Yes, this is a rant, and I guess it could be therapeutic to pretend this is all the customer's fault; to imagine they must be lazy for having large bills on them; to imagine you know their banking habits or have the right to judge those imagined habits; but just don't let yourself truly believe the delusion. At the end of the day it's your job to please the customer, not their job to please you.

And yes, the law is on your side insofar as letting you decide who to serve and who not to serve. It's a needed protection for business owners. But you can not force someone to go get certain types of bills, change, etc. to use in your store. You refuse them service and they can leave. If they come back with different change, it is their choice. It is not against the law to attempt to pay for something with money.

But it's good as a food service worker that you don't actually tell these things or act this way to your customers. People can always go to other places to get something to eat.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoSpace
I guess the people saying it's ok to hand over a large note for a small purchase have never worked in retail before.

I have

I worked for some years in a supermarket and a year in a regular store, all I can say is I will never work in retail again.

Neither will I.

If even 2 or 3 people hand in a large note for one small item that's all the change gone from the till and then your screwed.

In the stores I worked in, we just called an office employee to get more cash out of the safe for our till. Quick, simple, no hassle.

Seriosly if you hand over a large note for somthing small the retailer will hate your guts,

Not in my experience. Stores don't hate taking in money.

back when I worked in the regular grocery store to start the day I was only given £60 in change and the boss used to have a go at me if I ran out of change and the customers would have a go at me for refusing small sales with large notes, I could not win so I eventually quit one day, I had enough.

It's unfortunate, but all it really means is you worked for an idiot and it's a good thing you quit working for such an unreasonable person.

I remember one guy first customer of the day at 6 in the morning kicking the counter and swearing and shouting at me because I told him to go to the bank for change, He asked for 35p gum, after I rang it up in the till he hands me a £50 note and askes for all his change in £1 coins.

Maybe he was in a hurry trying to get to work and didn't have time for a lippy clerk?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by MaMaa

yeah that does sound a little weird. I think maybe he had some sort of offer that month where for every dollar on the machine he gets a dollar matched from the bank back to his personal account, or what ever.

They try and hook you so you push the debit or credit card transactions. I refuse. They can give away a boat for all I care, I will not use the machine unless it is absolutely necessary....

I wired it in through a drawer and just whip it out (wireless) when a customer asks for it....I dont like even seeing it.

I have seen all sorts of scams the banks use to offer you...they want a cashless society.

but yeah, change for a 20 is not unreasonable.

edit on 19-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

Yeah I figured he was getting something out of me using a debit card/credit card over cash. That or he had put all his money into the puppies he has and didn't actually have any money left to make change. It is a dumpy dirty little pet shop that has been around since I was a kid. The guy was my parents neighbor back in the 70s and I worked for him in high school. He is a really weird guy and despite working for him I never could get a good read on him.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I've worked retail years ago and I know it's frustrating when you don't have much change and receive big bills.

BUT..... It is the responsibility of the store to make change for whatever denomination bill is handed to you unless you have it posted that you won't take $50 or $100 bills.

If you are running short on change the manager / owner is not doing their job.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

There are some of us who do not and will not set foot in a bank for any reason.I don't like banks nor do I trust them.I understand your rant but you know what?I can easily take my money,and my business elsewhere.So deal with it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
My thoughts, having been on both sides of the fence of patron VS service worker are simply

Don't be a jerk.
It's quite easy really.
Don't be a jerk.
One more time...
Doesn't matter if you are the shopowner or the patron.
Place yourself in others shoes, or empathize.
Be a little more conscious of how even your small actions might be affecting some one else.

I've been the customer and have been the girl jockeying the register, I've been the restuarant patron and I've been the waitress, and so forth...

Whichever side one find themselves on is moot.

There just so happens to exist a certain culture of taking the easy way, taking all the convience at others expense without ever "taking one for the team"...ya know, the people that are always doing the skipping and cheating and cutting off without it ever seeming to happen to them. However there are a vast number of individuals that recognize this and strive to do the opposite, who have their money ready and signal before changing lanes and hold doors and enact other small under-rated acts of common decency and class.

Class, decency, common sense, respect, savvy, panache, tact

Used to be cool to posses the above traits...now it seems the trend is to be self righteous, entitled, aloof, indifferent, bored, unaffected, and cynical...

I digress...

It shouldn't have to be patron VS provider...
The "customer is always right" axiom sucks.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mardukiscoming

There are some of us who do not and will not set foot in a bank for any reason.I don't like banks nor do I trust them.I understand your rant but you know what?I can easily take my money,and my business elsewhere.So deal with it.

So basically you won't enter a bank, so you hire a proxy, the retailer, to do it for you. He must enter the bank in order to serve you. You're one step removed so you can pretend you don't deal with banks.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

I've worked retail years ago and I know it's frustrating when you don't have much change and receive big bills.

BUT..... It is the responsibility of the store to make change for whatever denomination bill is handed to you unless you have it posted that you won't take $50 or $100 bills.

If you are running short on change the manager / owner is not doing their job.

And the employees are just outta luck! They get to deal with pissed customers and a pissed owner/manager! YAY what fun!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Simply put: The customer is always right.

how far has the idea of service declined when workers actually COMPLAIN about having to take money

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Damn.I honestly never looked at it that way.
I guess you are right.It doesn't magically change my mind about banks though.
If that bothers you,that would be your problem.Have a nice day.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by forgetmenot

considering that I already said I DO HAVE CHANGE. That I bought a safe and had to spend allot of money on it, and have to have allot of money on site which is dangerous, the entire premise of what you are saying is faulty.

You can refuse to see the logic behind what I am saying. If you notice everyone who has worked behind a counter for the most part with few exceptions agrees, it is a wrench in normal operations......

after that you can listen or not....like when my doctor tells me to not smoke and drink so much coffee. I say ok, and light up as soon as I leave, heading for the nearest coffee shop.....

you dont have to listen, but then again, I would be better off not smoking. It is your choice.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mardukiscoming

neither do I like going to a bank. I have made that clear, I really dont trust them....but I do. And I am forced to go more often than I like because it seems I run payroll for several hundred people.....even though I dont have employees.... I shouldnt have to keep several grand in a safe at work when I have a little cafe selling coffee and sandwiches at 1-4 bucks....Like I said use your logic.

I am not saying that you shouldnt be able to pay with what ever you like. I will accpet it and give you your change no doubt. JUST dont make a habit of doing something illogical. I wouldnt ask the guy running a tourism booth to use his bathroom everyday just because I had an emergency one day and he accommodated me. I wouldnt ask the bank teller for a bag every time I go for change because he gave it to me once or a couple times even though he had to really look for one since they dont offer them. ect....

In the end it is your choice, but just know that you are choosing to make life a little more difficult. No big deal,

but next time some one cuts you off at an exit or that lady at the DMV refuses to allow you to get a pen and keep your place in line, or the girl behind the counter says that your return period ended a few hours ago, or someone takes your cab or what ever minor inconvenience that really is not necessary and just makes life that much more sucky, just deal with it. Dont gripe about it, dont even notice the backwards nature of being like that.

Just deal with it.

edit on 20-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by forgetmenot

considering that I already said I DO HAVE CHANGE.

You're the one who said you have to go back and forth to the bank because of it. I'm just saying go once and save some time.

If you notice everyone who has worked behind a counter for the most part with few exceptions agrees

So in other words, not everyone agrees. Even if it was unanimous either way, it would still be too small of a sample size to really determine much.

edit on 20-2-2013 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join