It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broken brain filters - it's time to get serious

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Another weird thing is, people USED to talk to others where ever they went but now it is odd to have anyone talk to you. Getting tired the other day, I sat in the waiting room and two guys came in together and sat, I said hi...they each looked at me but said nothing, they then sat down next to one another and got out their phones and started texting...I was there a long time and they never said a word to each other or me...this is the new NORMAL.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by jiggerj

Another weird thing is, people USED to talk to others where ever they went...

This has never been my experience. I've seen waiting rooms full of people with no one uttering a sound. In restaurants, people keep to themselves or talk only to the people they came in with. The only time this is different is when a beautiful female is about and one dumb, horny dude babbles on in the hopes of vomiting up just the right words that will unlock her panties. But, even horny dudes have some logic or reason for spewing a bunch of BS.

Again, I'm not talking about people with genuine questions and statements (asking directions or a quick complaint about the weather...). I'm talking about one woman that actually told me that it was raining because the clouds overhead were full of water. I mean, come on! What person with a fully functional brain would say that!? This isn't a stupid statement like when someone informed me that the sky is blue due to the ocean's reflection upon it - that is mistaken information. Claiming that clouds are full of water is an egregious statement of the obvious on a level that doesn't even register as stupid. People just don't say things like that if their brain is functioning properly. It is obvious to me that her brain filter has been damaged in some way.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by jiggerj

Another weird thing is, people USED to talk to others where ever they went...

This has never been my experience. I've seen waiting rooms full of people with no one uttering a sound. In restaurants, people keep to themselves or talk only to the people they came in with. The only time this is different is when a beautiful female is about and one dumb, horny dude babbles on in the hopes of vomiting up just the right words that will unlock her panties. But, even horny dudes have some logic or reason for spewing a bunch of BS.

Again, I'm not talking about people with genuine questions and statements (asking directions or a quick complaint about the weather...). I'm talking about one woman that actually told me that it was raining because the clouds overhead were full of water. I mean, come on! What person with a fully functional brain would say that!? This isn't a stupid statement like when someone informed me that the sky is blue due to the ocean's reflection upon it - that is mistaken information. Claiming that clouds are full of water is an egregious statement of the obvious on a level that doesn't even register as stupid. People just don't say things like that if their brain is functioning properly. It is obvious to me that her brain filter has been damaged in some way.

Well I am in a small town, I hate cities and avoid them at all costs could that be the difference?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I have bad news, you're highly anti social, a loner etc.

Being social has its advantage and just hating someone for talking to you is a serious cause for concern. If you don't like it you could always move into the top of a mountain and live there.

The only acceptable form of communication that you can hate is what comes from fat chicks with annoying high pitched voices. You can hate that.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I guess I don't see the problem here, some people are more sociable than others I guess. Have you ever heard the phrase "He never met a stranger"? That's me. I like to talk to people, I don't go telling my life story to everyone I see or anything like that, I just like to meet new people. Next time somebody you don't know tries to start a conversation with you join in, be polite, you might make a friend in the deal. They must have had a reason for wanting to talk to you.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Well, I made the mistake of posting before I read the rest of the thread. After you gave some examples, I'd have to agree with you. The funny ones are the people who you said hi to, in passing, and they follow you to your car as you're leaving, I just smile and nod as I close the car door and wave goodbye.

Some people are annoying, the complete strangers wanting to bum a smoke are the worst. In Fact, earlier today I was sitting at a red light and a car pulled up next to me, the guy rolls down his window and asked to bum a smoke. Who does that? He literally said, without pause: "Hey nice car, can I get a smoke off you?". I always thought it was kind of an unwritten law not to bum off people you don't know.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You are right, JiggerJ, and I believe some studies have attributed this kind of behavior to technology like texting and Facebook and internet surfing. We talked a while ago about how friends were more like acquaintances or something. So it goes to show that since you are in the same store together, you are friends.

I actually moved into a house with some older friends and none of us use texting or Facebook much and we basically spend our time talking to each other in person, and I can tell you it is strikingly different.

Besides my room-mates, I am texting two girls at the moment (neither of which will commit to hanging out in person)
]
When my cell phone is down to one person texting me, I like to pretend like my cell phone is my friend. I sure get a lot more face time with it. I tell it stories or write it poetry and it appreciates it., apparently... and it gave itself a name!
edit on 19-2-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

hi, man,, i know what you are talking about,, but it is sometimes fun to treat complete strangers like your best friend,, the other day i was staring at a pond because there was a weird looking bird,, so some dude passed me with his bicycle and stopped next to me an identified the bird for me,, and i didnt ask or anything, then we had a brief discussion and went on with our days, it was entertaining.

and about brain filters,, i do not believe anything unless i have experienced it myself,,
thats a good rule for everything,,

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

This is what happens when facebook and twitter spill over into real life. People tend to think "hey I can post my worthless life all over these sites, and it's generally accepted," so why not put it out into the real world.

I think as people get more involved with technologies such as social media, they often become more lonely, and that's why they think to reach out in real life, without thinking it will have no consequence just like facebook doesn't.

For those people I say....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I think you all are weird for finding it strange that someone talks to you..

Do you distrust humans? Do you dislike people and social interaction? Are you a grumpy bum so caught up thinking about your own day? If someone talks to me I'm happy. if they say something stupid so what? If I never listened to anyone I'd not know all that I know, and I'd not have met many people who I now consider friends.. and that alone is something so hard to do today when everyone walks around with headphones on, eyes glued to the screen in the palm of their hand... heck on a train or a bus you see one person sitting in a 3-4 seated area and everyone is too afraid to sit there because someone is already there...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Look, this may come off as insulting, but I'm dead serious. More and more people aren't able to stop the flow of trivial and downright meaningless thoughts from vomiting out of their mouth. I believe I've mentioned this before, but it's so prevalent now that I can't ignore it any longer.

I can't go anywhere without total strangers talking to me as if we were lifelong buddies, and what they have to say has no conversation value whatsoever.

Yes, I'm calling them stupid and utterly boring, but is it possible that these people are suffering from some kind of brain malfunction? We talk here about genetically altered food and about chemicals being sprayed via the contrails of planes. Are we being poisoned? Are we devolving as a species?

Something is going on. All of my life I've witnessed stupid people being very quiet because they were at least smart enough to know that were stupid. Now it's a matter of fewer and fewer people are using their brain filters to weed out the interesting thoughts against the uninteresting - just open mouth and puke up a bunch of stinking nonsense, all day, everyday.

I'll say it again: Something is wrong!

I think your post fits your definition of vomit. What is the point with this thread? You all scrooged up and pissed off at something or just bored and pessimistic?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Frankly, I'm skeptical such folks exist...

Though it might be the connectivity we "enjoy" with the internet. The regurgitation of life's common trivialities constantly flowing by might give people a false (relatively) sense of closeness with strangers.

It could be the "photon belt" glibberizing the actentuizing moronoziner.

Or, some people might just be a tad socially thick.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Maybe it's not people getting dumber, but you getting smarter by the day.

Never thought of that huh.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
When that happens to me OP (a stranger just walks up to me and
starts talking like they know me) I look around to make sure no one
is looking and then I look at them shocked and say "You can see me!"

Rebel 5

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Thanks for the ray of sunshine, bumped.
I'm quite sure you're right on almost all counts ... poisoning, education,
technology based isolation and even infoverload. I'm old enough to re-
member a time when verbal interaction was practiced, and had at least
a sense of mutual interest to get things going... briefly. It DOES depend
some on which part of the country, age bracket, and other demographics.
But when everything encountered everywhere you go locally looks like
people have just shook off a lobotomy pick, and sound it too.. Hmmmm.
I'll take a pass on that prescription, thanks. Great wood deal, reminded me
too much of Twin Peaks' log lady.
Maybe the destination they intend for us is just to eventually someday be
helpless totally disconnected large amoebae with vocal cords bouncing
off each another with predictable frequency. Gormpfh. Or better yet after
a Stephen King reset, a listless Rast.BreeElahhh, no exclamation points.
But you're still aces, Doc... that's the best raisin jack I ever had.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebelv
When that happens to me OP (a stranger just walks up to me and
starts talking like they know me) I look around to make sure no one
is looking and then I look at them shocked and say "You can see me!"

Rebel 5

That is hilarious!

Love it!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MagesticEsoteric

[smiles graciously]

thanks.

Rebel 5

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The funny thing is that here everyone just walked into a room full of strangers and started talking to anyone who was there who would listen to their opinion.

Imagine a forum where everyone was so reserved that they didn't speak to anyone else.

Being opinionated and letting others know is the new norm in society; from facebook post about the inanities of your daily life to forum posts to tweets it's what we do.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

It's called "Idiocracy" and it's actually a pretty funny movie.

Basically, the intelligent people breed selectively (or not at all) and become a minority while the stupid people reproduce at amazing rates. Eventually, everyone is stupid. The story revolves around a guy who is considered stupid in our time, but in the future he's a genius; not because he got smarter, but because everyone else is really really dumb.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WormwoodSquirm

I think your post fits your definition of vomit. What is the point with this thread? You all scrooged up and pissed off at something or just bored and pessimistic?

I'm telling you, something is going on. Most likely we are devolving. Look, how do primitive tribes try to look attractive? They mark their bodies with tattoos and piercings; and now this practice has gone mainstream in civilized society. If that isn't enough for you, have a look at this thread:

Human intelligence is declining according to Stanford geneticist,

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join