It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broken brain filters - it's time to get serious

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I tend to think it is more self-centeredness then stupidity and this I attribute to the twitter/sound bite/media culture. When the every mundane event in the life of a 'celebrity' becomes news, it teachs us that minutia of our daily lives is truly important for others to know. Being self-centered, we are a celebrity in our own minds and need to feed our adoring public with endless drivel.

I was raised to keep my mouth shut unless what I had to say would be of interest and or use to another. And, I'd better be d****d sure that the other person would think it was interesting and useful as well.

We are all self-centered to a degree, but if that's all we think about we condemn ourselves to very lonely lives.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR
I have bad news, you're highly anti social, a loner etc.

The only acceptable form of communication that you can hate is what comes from fat chicks with annoying high pitched voices. You can hate that.

LOL Fat chicks, gotcha.

Now, as for my unwanted friends, maybe you'd be interested in listening to some of their drivel for a few hours.

Did I tell you about my mother's neighbor's daughter? She went into the hospital for...? Wait. It's not her daughter. It's her son; I remember my mother calling him Robert. Well, Robert went into the hospital. He was suffering from...
ROBERTA! It's Roberta - definitely my mother's neighbor's daughter.
Ummm, no she didn't go into the hospital. It was her sick dog. Roberta took her dog to the veterinary hospital and the vet there charged her $4.74 for one can of special dog food. Now that I think of it, it wasn't $4.74 a can. It was $7.44 a can. Can you just imagine! $7.44 for a can of ZZzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzZZZzzzzzzzzz

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
You know op, the more you think about, how everytime you go to the store someone stupid has something to say to you, the more it will happen. Law Of Attraction my friend.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I think these people are starving for real non-computer human contact and are trying to make a network. See, they see the people on TV making conversation with other people really easily, and they are trying to reproduce that reality in public, forgetting about all the pre-planning, market research and editing that happens in the TV world. The idea is, if you both live in the same neighborhood, you should be able to converse with people to create the semblance of a community.

It's important when you get someone in reality trying to make small talk, to make nice and keep the small talk going until you both get to the goodbye moment. You might learn something from the other human being. It's called being sociable. It's what people used to do before the technology boom of telephones, TV, and computers. You might not have developed the social skills to accept what comes out of other people that you can see, but it's what people did a hundred years ago, before we learned how to push a button to get out of something unfamiliar or unappealing to us.

This is going to be your biggest survival skill over the long run when you learn to meet people that you haven't previously been introduced to on the Internet. It brings neighborhood, useful when the Internet gets wiped out by a catastrophe. This means, yes, talking to strangers, without putting up your defense mechanisms of snobbery and acting repulsed. Sure, you can mentally star, vote up or vote down what the person says in the real world, but it's important to practice courtesy when you meet these people.

Sure they might start talking to you like Forrest Gump on a park bench, but just listen. It probably won't hurt you. They might even be wearing clothing that isn't in the latest magazines and they might have some sort of human odor about them, but that is your neighborhood, your society, your fellow country people. Let them drivel; do you know how entertaining that can be? Yes you're allowed to be amused by real people and not just digital media. They probably aren't dumb, but are thinking you are dumb, and are keeping the subject matter low for your sake.

The best kinds of random social exchange one could get is the guy who just starts playing guitar at a bus stop. It changes the whole day.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Jigger, We are from New England, old schoolers, born and bred here, it is not in our nature to be overly social with strangers and I totally understand this. I think alot of it is due to an influx of people not born and raised here that have oved here and are more social and outgoing whereas we are more reserved.

Also, I gotta ask, do you look like a cigarette vending machine? I thought those were illegal now?

That would get on my nerves, I would probably respond with "Sorry, I only have a few left and can't spare them" and as far as money goes it depends on the situation, but I tend to not be overly generous with giving strangers money just based on the fact that I can't afford it being disabled and in most situations (unless they are homeless) need it more than they do.

@ klassified LMAO, thanks for the Carlin clip, I was laughing so hard I started crying.
I have never seen that one.

@ rebelv Thanks for the "You can see me!" comment that had me laughing as well!

@ britelite Just wanted to say I love your avatar and don't be such a stranger, post more often!

P.S. No, I am not one of those people that engage in mindless babble with people I do not personally know at convenience stores striking up conversations about the merits of the different types of firewood.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkphoenix77
Jigger, We are from New England, old schoolers, born and bred here, it is not in our nature to be overly social with strangers and I totally understand this. I think alot of it is due to an influx of people not born and raised here that have oved here and are more social and outgoing whereas we are more reserved.

Also, I gotta ask, do you look like a cigarette vending machine? I thought those were illegal now?

That would get on my nerves, I would probably respond with "Sorry, I only have a few left and can't spare them" and as far as money goes it depends on the situation, but I tend to not be overly generous with giving strangers money just based on the fact that I can't afford it being disabled and in most situations (unless they are homeless) need it more than they do.

@ klassified LMAO, thanks for the Carlin clip, I was laughing so hard I started crying.
I have never seen that one.

@ rebelv Thanks for the "You can see me!" comment that had me laughing as well!

@ britelite Just wanted to say I love your avatar and don't be such a stranger, post more often!

P.S. No, I am not one of those people that engage in mindless babble with people I do not personally know at convenience stores striking up conversations about the merits of the different types of firewood.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

*** It should say MOVED here in my post up above, I cannot believe I did not catch that typo last night *sigh* DOH!!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

"@ rebelv Thanks for the "You can see me!" comment that had me laughing as well! "

np. I have to admit, I've never actually done that, but am waiting for the perfect
opportunity....

Rebel 5

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebelv
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

"@ rebelv Thanks for the "You can see me!" comment that had me laughing as well! "

np. I have to admit, I've never actually done that, but am waiting for the perfect
opportunity....

Rebel 5

I'd love to have a camera for when that happens.....the picture would I am sure be worth a thousand words, or laughs in this case

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join