It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 83
<< 80  81  82    84  85  86 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jvdas
reply to post by eriktheawful

They are very similar though, perhaps not identical

That could be because they are both being created by similar objects, composed of similar elements, travelling at similar speeds, on a similar trajectory.

link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

Look at the whole length of the trail. The photographer pans it. It starts as a single trail, splits, then rejoins.
There are no two "identical" trails. Yes at one point there are parallel trails but that is what you would expect from a single object producing two trails, isn't it?

edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Such exactitude isn't expected especially on a natural phenomena, it would require exactly the same burning and vapourisation rates on objects of the same mass and shape, this is the statistical anomaly.

You still do not seem to understand that the contrails are side by side at the same altitude for currents and temps. Literally side by side.

This will result is some simularity, but not an exact match, and again, is not impossible.

Just ask any actual physicist.....they will tell you that both streams are being molded and shaped by the same air currents, density and temps since they are literally side by side.

link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Originally posted by jvdas

They are very similar though, perhaps not identical

That could be because they are both being created by similar objects, composed of similar elements, travelling at similar speeds, on a similar trajectory.

Correct!

Star for you!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
A large chunk... Heats up, cracks in twain. Still together-ish. 1 Boom. 2 smoke trails.

1 boom? Are we discussing the same event?

Here.....I'll even point out the minute marks.
1.20 and maybe even a couple more as the camera pulled away.

So I count at least nine explosions. Not sure where you're getting one boom from.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Agreed.

Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I live in Florida and when the space shuttle would be coming back we would here 2 or 3 booms depending on where you were. Always at least two booms and that is from 1 object.

I do not know why but a guess is that the second was an echo because it was not as loud.

edit on 15-2-2013 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
From I F#$king Love Science on Facebook:-
I know it seems like too much of a coincidence, but please be aware that there is almost certainly NO connection between the meteor that hit Russia this morning and the asteroid that is due to pass Earth in a few hours.

To quote Phil Plait: "For one thing, this occurred about 16 hours before DA14 passes. At 8 kilometers per second that’s nearly half a million kilometers away from DA14. That puts it on a totally different orbit. For another, from the lighting, time of day, and videos showing the rising Sun, it looks like this was moving mostly east-to-west. I may be off, but that’s how it looks. DA14 is approaching Earth from the south, so any fragment of that rock would also appear to move south-to-north."

We live in a very big universe, and sometimes strange coincidences happen.
So not connected at all.

link   

Sound travels.

When there is a sound it is heard first by those closest to it, the longer it takes to hear it the farther you are from the source.

It isn't 9 different booms, it's the same boom being recorded 9 times during it's lifetime.

link   

err, did you read my next few sentences? I then said each bit proceeded to break into smaller parts which themselves turned "bolide" which are meteors exploding. I am saying YES there are multiple explosions, from it breaking up. Settle kettle!

link   

The loud boom was when it exploded, shattered, etc. In the videos this is when it goes from being at it's brightest to suddenly dimming down, as it was no longer 1 or 2 very large pieces, but was now in many pieces clustered together.

I too heard all the popping sounds after that initial boom in the videos and I think we're hearing many of the remaining fragments undergoing the same process (heated and then exploding), as if you watch the videos, you'll see the light flicker a lot (imagine a bunch of fire crackers popping). That is what I think we're hearing right after the big boom.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I am with Human_Alien on this one..

I hear multiple booms also...

Hmmmmm.......

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zoomer72

I'm talking about this...my friend.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Correct me if I'm wrong....we never experienced an exploding asteroid before.

You are wrong.

Here's a smaller one last year.
www.space.com...

Here's a really big one in 1947. Much larger than the one today.
en.wikipedia.org...

More or less: meteors are alive. Asteroids are dead. Meteors whiz through the cosmos.

A meteor is an object (asteroid, grain of sand) which enters the Earth's atmosphere and becomes visible as it vaporizes.

I am wrong about what? You gave me a page consisting of meteors and another, with found meteorites. I asked whether we ever witnessed an exploding asteroid before.

We don't know the diameter of a meteor. Unlike an asteroid that has no 'noise' surrounding it, we can get a better guesstimate of its size but a meteor is moving SO incredibly fast and sucked in a vacuum with other debris/tail that you can't say how large or small it is.

I liked my explanation better. A meteor is alive and moving on its own volition whereas an asteroid is a dead rock tumbling through space. The asteroid belt bests represents the deadness of said-rocks. You don't see a meteor-belt anywhere do ya?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

reply to post by zoomer72

I'm talking about this...my friend.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I really think you're wasting your time here.

He's either being intentionally obtuse or he will never grasp the concept, either way it's a wasted effort imho.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I have studied physics.

You don't seem to understand that for two parallel contrails following the same peaks and troughs would have to have the same mass and shape for such an exact contrail match, in addition to velocity, friction etc. This is the statistical anomaly.

If they were more irregular or if one of the trails vapourised first it would be more normal but for a randomly shaped meteorite undergoing random stress and fracturing, the resultant contrails would be more random. Superheated fragmenting iron and rock flying at immense velocity doesn't normally produce such evenly matched trails.

link   

Oh. Did you mean an asteroid exploding in space? I thought you meant in the atmosphere.
Yes, "we" think we have seen that. But it must have been a collision, not a spontaneous explosion.
www.nasa.gov...

But an asteroid, having entered the atmosphere and become a meteor, can explode due to heating and aerodynamic pressures.

A meteor is alive and moving on its own volition whereas an asteroid is a dead rock tumbling through space.
A meteor is an asteroid (or grain of space dust) which enters the Earth's atmosphere. But if you want to call it something else you're gonna do it.

link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Sound travels.

When there is a sound it is heard first by those closest to it, the longer it takes to hear it the farther you are from the source.

It isn't 9 different booms, it's the same boom being recorded 9 times during it's lifetime.

Really?
Yeah. Okay. Whatever.
I am so not buying what you're selling. Sorry my friend.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Correct me if I'm wrong....we never experienced an exploding asteroid before.

You are wrong.

Here's a smaller one last year.
www.space.com...

Here's a really big one in 1947. Much larger than the one today.
en.wikipedia.org...

More or less: meteors are alive. Asteroids are dead. Meteors whiz through the cosmos.

A meteor is an object (asteroid, grain of sand) which enters the Earth's atmosphere and becomes visible as it vaporizes.

I am wrong about what? You gave me a page consisting of meteors and another, with found meteorites. I asked whether we ever witnessed an exploding asteroid before.

We don't know the diameter of a meteor. Unlike an asteroid that has no 'noise' surrounding it, we can get a better guesstimate of its size but a meteor is moving SO incredibly fast and sucked in a vacuum with other debris/tail that you can't say how large or small it is.

I liked my explanation better. A meteor is alive and moving on its own volition whereas an asteroid is a dead rock tumbling through space. The asteroid belt bests represents the deadness of said-rocks. You don't see a meteor-belt anywhere do ya?

ROFL!

Ah me oh my. HA, you do put out some provocative posts!

Of course their are no meteor belts silly!

that's because they are not meteors until they are IN our atmosphere burning up!

On the other hand it is possible to have a "Meteoroid Belt".......look at Saturn's rings. Objects that are as small as dust, but some up to several meters wide......and in space.

So techincally that fits the bill for a Meteoroid.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
if im not mistaken, when a missle hits a building the explosive element is what causes said damage not force of the missle

meanwhile you launch a golf ball at like 200mph out of an air cannon and it impacts on a tin roof or some sheet metal, most likely would pierce through leaving the rest of the roof untouched

go ahead and scale it up a few thousand times to include absurd speeds, the supposesed weight of said meteor and i think you'll come to realize it's extremely plausible that you can destroy partial roofs/walls/buildings

just my thoughts

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Easy quote on meteorites.

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

Small pieces of space debris (usually parts of comets or asteroids) that are on a collision course with the Earth are called meteoroids. When meteoroids enter the Earth's atmosphere they are called meteors. Most meteors burn up in the atmosphere, but if they survive the frictional heating and strike the surface of the Earth they are called meteorites.

new topics

top topics

<< 80  81  82    84  85  86 >>

join