It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 85
<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by theabsolutetruth

To me...the illusion of 2 trails can be related to a ballistics gel and the shockwave of a bullet hitting. The meteor tumbles when hitting our atmosphere and creating a similar resemblance.......

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatedobserver
reply to post by Human_Alien

Craters on the moon. I've asked the same. If the moon has no atmosphere or a small one, then the asteroid would still be in the crater. But it's not. No where to be found. Nothing to slow the asteroid. It makes me wonder.....

Take a rock, give it a lot of velocity. It now has a lot of kinetic energy.

Now make that rock suddenly stop (strikes the surface of the moon). That energy has go go somewhere, as you can not destroy energy.

So it does, the surface of the moon, and the rock itself.

Take a good look at car wrecks......then look at some plane wrecks, especially ones that were traveling fast when they hit. In many cases you don't see a plane (or a car for that mater) any more.

You see pieces of it scattered all around. That's is what all that energy does.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Saw this headline on The Watchers website, "Meteor shower hits Russia and Kazahstan, over 1000 people injured."
The damage sounds widespread and extensive.

"During the morning Russian military
discovered a 6-meter crater from Urals
meteorite, normal background radiation was
reported at the crater. Russian Academy of
Science said the meteorite weighed 10 tons
before it entered Earth’s atmosphere.
Lifenews reported, quoting a source in
Emergencies Ministry, that before falling to
earth, the meteorite exploded nine times,
starting at an altitude of 55 kilometers.
Meteorite fragments have damaged 2,962
buildings including 34 healthcare facilities, 11
social security institutions and 361 school and
pre-school educational institutions. The damage
from the meteor shower is estimated at more
than $13 million.
Nature Magazine said that this fireball was the
largest rock to strike the planet since 1908
(Tunguska).

Russian space agency Roskosmos said:
“According to preliminary estimates, this space
object is of non-technogenic origin and qualifies
as a meteorite. It was moving at a low trajectory
with a speed of about 30 km/s.”
RT reported that according to unconfirmed
reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air
defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near
Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the
meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20
kilometers. The military had nothing to do with
the aerial meteorite explosion, the Urals
Emergency Ministry said: “Russia’s defense
ministry took no action connected to the
incident. No aircrafts has been registered in the
air at the given period of time.”

Residents of the town of Emanzhilinsk, some 50
kilometers from Chelyabinsk, said they saw a
flying object that suddenly burst into flames,
broke apart and fell to earth, and that a black
cloud had been seen hanging above the town.
Witnesses in Chelyabinsk said the city’s air
smells like gunpowder.
The regional Emergency Ministry said the
phenomenon was a meteorite shower, but
locals have speculated that it was a military
fighter jet crash or a missile explosion."

So from what I understand of meteors vs. Earth's atmosphere, they usually burn up, break apart, disintegrate, upon entry, unless they come in at a very low trajectory and at a low rate of speed. In which case, they can remain intact, and impact the earth's surface. I always hear that standard reassurance that "Most burn up upon entry" but they leave off "unless, of course, they're low and slow." It's always pointed out that they're relatively small in size, but I seldom hear reference to the likely weight. Knowing that meteorites are typically heavier than the "average" earth rock is one the ways to differentiate when meteorite hunting.
So when I read it was estimated at 10 tons, began exploding at 55km up, but they blew it up at 20km up, and the only referenced crater is 6 meters, but it's the largest to hit earth since Tunguska, I am confused to say the least. How big was it to begin with? 10 meters across or 10 kilometers? If it exploded 9 times, which piece did they blow up at 20km up? And the rest?
What's an "air defense unit" vs. the military or defense ministry?
I'm starting to question the supposed "disintegrating weather balloon" answer that was given by authorities here in the U.S., regarding a recent video that captured an unknown falling object in the sky that appeared to circled by another object shortly before it exploded.
Sounds like we used a similar "air defense unit" and the MSM and TPTB are keeping it quiet (as usual).
Should I be comforted thinking we have a system in place, or pissed I'm being lied to, or uncomfortable knowing they don't know at which point upon entry to blow it up safely?

And, I apologize ahead of time if this has all been discussed and answered by the time I post this, I see that the replies and pages on this are adding up at light speed...

edit on 15-2-2013 by gemdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

When a meteoroid then becomes a meteor and hits the earth is it called a meteorite.

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

Small pieces of space debris (usually parts of comets or asteroids) that are on a collision course with the Earth are called meteoroids.
When meteoroids enter the Earth's atmosphere they are called meteors.
Most meteors burn up in the atmosphere, but if they survive the frictional heating and strike the surface of the Earth they are called meteorites.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Darkphoenix77

Two words.
Chainsaw.

Oh, it's one word.

You do realize I was joking? At least I hope you would.....come on.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by theabsolutetruth

When a meteoroid then becomes a meteor and hits the earth is it called a meteorite.

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

Small pieces of space debris (usually parts of comets or asteroids) that are on a collision course with the Earth are called meteoroids.
When meteoroids enter the Earth's atmosphere they are called meteors.
Most meteors burn up in the atmosphere, but if they survive the frictional heating and strike the surface of the Earth they are called meteorites.

Yes, very good.

I already said that, here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
A kinetic wepon is a cone shaped heavy metal object which is dropped from a great height from space,,usually tungsten,the speed can reach upto 10kms, need no propulsion and are capable of great destruction. They just need lifting into space, simples. Effective if multiples are used.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by gemdog

Should I be comforted thinking we have a system in place, or pissed I'm being lied to, or uncomfortable knowing they don't know at which point upon entry to blow it up safely?

Theres no need to be mad or afraid. Its over. The once every hundred year rock has come. As far as we know, nobody died.

About shooting it down? Nothing but nothing comes into the atmosphere as fast as objects from space. Since science hadn't foreseen this one nobody had time to point let alone shoot any kind of interceptor at it. If they had it would have been tracked as a launch (or multiple launches) from somewhere. Which it wasn't.

So we can relax about it now. Enjoy it even... what a marvel. Who can say in their lifetime that they witnessed something so awesome? I only got to see it on video and I am dumbstruck.

Checked this one off my bucket list.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
HAAAAAAA, ATS deny ignorance. Nice to see this thread about an anomalous space rock disintegrating in the Earths upper atmosphere has now degraded to the definition between stalagmite and stalactite, or is it tomato and tomato now, or meteor and asteroid, that's the ticket! Either way. Funny how the invention of the internet has only made people more ignorant and uneducated. Don't worry people, go back to your Happy Meals, people who are actually educated in the subject (we call them scientist) are looking at everything now and will publish their findings after peer review months from now in publications you have never even heard of, and cannot find at Walmart.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

You said this on the previous page and on another post. You described a meteor. Technically the recent event in Russia is called a METEORITE.

Today's event in Russia was a Meteoroid that entered our atmosphere.......

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gemdog

I wouldn't be surprised if it had been intercepted, it would account for the anomalies.

Either way, it would be nice for the TRUTH.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Yes. Because parts of it hit the ground. While it was blazing across the sky it was a meteor. While it was in space it was a meteoroid (or small asteroid if you like). Once it hit the ground it was a meteorite.
edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

You said this on the previous page and on another post. You described a meteor. Technically the recent event in Russia is called a METEORITE.

Today's event in Russia was a Meteoroid that entered our atmosphere.......

There is absolute NOTHING wrong with the statement that you quoted. It WAS a meteoroid that entered the atmosphere.

Due to it's size, and just before it actually entered our atmosphere, it was a meteoroid.

Once it did enter the atmosphere, it became a meteor.

The fragments that reached the ground are now meteorites.

So again, there is nothing wrong with my statment:

Today a Meteoroid entered our atmosphere, where it streaked over the Russian skies as a meteor, blew up into fragments that are now meteorites on the ground (and in a lake).

now.....exactly what is your problem with my statement?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   

reply to post by gemdog

I wouldn't be surprised if it had been intercepted, it would account for the anomalies.

Either way, it would be nice for the TRUTH.

Remember those videos of the AA guns firing on the planes over Iraq in the first gulf war?

Those gomers were shooting miles behind the attacking aircraft.

If they had even tried an intercept, the result would have been the same.

We were able to destroy some space debris a while back, but it was not moving at these speeds, and they knew it's trajectory.

It would be like firing a BB gun at a 30 caliber bullet as it passed by.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
All this petty stuff is exactly why I cringe when I read threads...lighten up

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Obviously.

Here's the thing, imagine a conversation, you are telling a physicist that ''today there was a meteoride that entered the atmosphere'' AKA Meteor, it passed the line where it technically called a Meteor. It implies it didn't hit base AKA Earth where in doing so makes it a Meteorite.

It is like calling a baby an ''embryo that passed through the cervix'' or toffee ''warm sugar'', it missing out valid terms that denotes valid stages that are essential to the relaying of accurate information, for example that the embryo developed full term or that the sugar underwent caremalisation.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7

To me...the illusion of 2 trails can be related to a ballistics gel and the shockwave of a bullet hitting. The meteor tumbles when hitting our atmosphere and creating a similar resemblance.......

I was thinking about that myself. Especially since the material and smoke ejected will fill those twisting voids and displaced air currents.

I think alot of people (and its understandable since its something we all just dont think about) dont realize that our atmosphere is 'there' and acts very much like a fluid when things move through it, Its just so un-noticed on a personal level yet it effects so much.

Other thing is, how many meteor trails have people been able to get so close to with cameras where you can be right under it. Most look like the dash board cam vids which just look like a single trail from those distances.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Closed for awhile....to allow folks to chill a bit....

This is at lest the second time staff has asked members to post within the rules.

This is the final request.

You are responsible for your own posts.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics

--Off Topic, One Liners and General Back Scratching Posts--

Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review
edit on Fri Feb 15 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

reopened 10:35 PM, EDT
edit on Fri Feb 15 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

new topics

top topics

<< 82  83  84    86  87  88 >>

join