It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I am going to say it was a meteor that broke up. Safe call now, I know. But look at the 10-11 sec mark of this video and you can actually see what looks like the shockwave from the boom radiating outwards somewhat parallel to the ground. My opinion that is when the smoke trail is in two twin trails on the other videos and the source of the big boom. As for the delay in video that sets off the car alarm and you hear broken glass, it takes time for the sound to travel that distance.

Still very cool to see this despite the damage/injuries that happened.

edit on 15-2-2013 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

And I find it amusing how its the government claiming meteor shower while the public is saying something else, you'd think it would be the other way around heh.

You'd think. Except it's Russia. And they don't like being embarrassed.
But airplane or missile debris is sort of hard to cover up if it's falling all over the countryside. So if they are trying to cover it up it probably won't work very well. Unless, maybe that's what the 20,000...whatever they are...is about.

It is a really wild situation though!
edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

link   
I am worried about going to sleep.

link   
Meteor"s" Watch the sky (Im in Canada same hemisphere) this is crazy what a f'n week for being an ATS member.

BtW RT not loading for me, overloaded?
edit on 15-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by fleabit

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jollyjollyjolly

Yeah. Pretty amazingly quick response time.

Unless of course, they knew it was coming.

or they were already prepared for DA14 and possible debris associated

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

reply to post by fleabit

Well, like I was saying.. these could have been happy, peaceful bits of rock floating on the fringe of our solar system.
2012 DA14 is a NEO. It's orbit actually sort of parallels (I guess concentric would be a better word) that of Earth. It's a close neighbor we say "hi" to on a fairly regular basis.

When is the last time it passed by? I was under the impression this is the first time.

link   
reply to post by fleabit

The closest. Not the first.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

link   

Originally posted by canucks555
Meteor"s" Watch the sky (Im in Canada same hemisphere) this is crazy what a f'n week for being an ATS member.

Welcome to the world of sleepless night.....

Des

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Creepy. My friend said she's watching history2 channel and Comets: PROPHETS OF DOOM is on. RIGHT NOW!? Come on. Really?

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hijinx
A slingshot, the putin I know would just shoot it a menacing glare and it would explode into a puddle of shameful urine.

Menacing glares...

do you think?? Maybe....

O.o

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Here are some questions, because I know almost zero about meteors, and the probability of what would happen if one was shot down entering earths atmosphere.

1) Would it make things worse by shooting it down and fragmenting it?

2) Could it possibly cause a worse explosion overhead and cause more damage over a wider area of earth?

3) And can they actually accurately hit an object moving that fast?
edit on 15-2-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

link   
Well radar and radio does work outside the ionosphere so I do believe that tomorrow even they will be using radar @ nasa to track DA, It just seems from the video that was one of the brightest fireballs that has been captured ever. So it must have been fairly large regardless I don't think shooting it down sounds realistic, but hey could have been a crazy lucky shot.

But it was moving so fast, with variable speed after entry, I dunno. I am not saying it couldnt be shot down...but I would bet against counting on it. Its prolly extra debris travelling along with DA, but that was a fairly good sized chunk of material any which way.

I am gonna head back outside for a bit and do some 30 sec DSLR shots and see if I catch anything. I did that earlier tonight for like 30 mins but dang its cold.

link   
I have never witnessed a missle or fighter jet blowing up, however I was in my yard one summer day when a meteorite hit the atmosphere somewhere over Maryland (and was caught on video at a women's son's baseball game), and witnesses around here i recall describing it as this in the news. All my mother and I heard was that loud "BOOOOM!" (the 2nd video of the boom is how we heard it, it lasted for several seconds). I'm leaning towards this was a meteorite, and it is probably related to the one that will pass tomorrow in some way. Maybe it's even space junk that was thrown off, all I know is that was just what we heard, and what other locals around me described a meteorite as.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Indeed, the timing of this speaks volumes.
At the very least, one freaking weird coincidence.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Excuse me while I register my awe!

WOW!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

reply to post by fleabit

The closest. Not the first.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

So I can only lean on the "it hit something and sent debris ahead of it" theory (and possibly behind). Thanks for the link.

I still think it's too coincidental - I couldn't even being to fathom the odds of this happening within 24 hours of the very close flyby of a mildly sizable meteoroid.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

reply to post by fleabit

Well, like I was saying.. these could have been happy, peaceful bits of rock floating on the fringe of our solar system.
2012 DA14 is a NEO. It's orbit actually sort of parallels (I guess concentric would be a better word) that of Earth. It's a close neighbor we say "hi" to on a fairly regular basis.

When is the last time it passed by? I was under the impression this is the first time.

It is very newly found asteroid, thus name 2012 DA14. But it has been longer time here already. That asteroid is so small, that it took so long time to find. And I bet we still have asteroids of same size that remain hidden. How you detect something very dim that moves fast? Now for the first time we are actually prepared for that so we can make calculations about its orbit. Closer it gets, easier is to calculate its orbit.

And if you are going to track 2012 DA14 with bare eyes, you are going to have bad time. Its too dim for naked eye, and its almost impossible to find with telescope or binoculars since it moves very fast, and no one knows which part of sky it appears.
edit on 15-2-2013 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I've seen lot's of meteors in my time. One of my favorite past-times, when I'm at the beach is to camp out at night under the stars and just star-gaze, I can usually catch a handful if not more in a couple hours.

Anyway, I can tell you my personal experience with a really big meteor. I was about 11 years old and walking through my neighborhood at night with my older brothers when all of the sudden the who night sky lit up. It was like daylight. I remember seeing everything clearly, the houses, the trees, the grass, just like it was day time, with all of the vivid colors and everything. Just for a brief second. Then we turned to gaze skyward and a huge meteor was whizzing by, and it left a huge track in its wake. It was night out so you couldn't see it except by the light of the meteor that was shining on it. And afterwards there was a huge booming sound.

It was not unlike this event right here. Quite spectacular. Also, I am guessing when that meteor in the video lit up, if it was night, it would have lit up the sky just like when I saw it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoyfullMustard
I am worried about going to sleep.

Just thinking that- and I've got work in eight hours!

I don't want to miss anything good.

Coffee!

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join