It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Crashes in Russia

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

and you are tied with the superman guy for the most awesome post in this thread. XD

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by maoklein
reply to post by Screwed

Indeed, the timing of this speaks volumes.
At the very least, one freaking weird coincidence.

I am inclined to agree.
I think that I could go either way right now.

My mentor and instructor taught me that

One time is luck
twice is coincidence
three times is skill.

I remember this and translate it when things like this happen.
I will reluctantly go with coincidence on THIS ONE but if there is another within the next few days then my mind is made up.
edit on 15-2-2013 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
Here is my question because I know almost zero about meteors and the probability of what would happen if one was shot down entering earths atmosphere.

1) Would it make things worse by shooting it down and fragmenting it?

2) Could it possibly cause a worse explosion overhead and cause more damage over a wider area of earth?

3) And can they actually accurately hit an object moving that fast?

Seriously, I think this is a rumor spread by some people hearing the sonic booms and claiming it is "gun shots" from the Russian air defense. As far as I know, meteors are extremely fast, there is no way to target and shoot them.
Unless I see real proof that they shot the meteor into pieces I don't buy that at all. (The "benefit" of this would also be questionable, you are correct that ONE larger chunk would probably be less dangerous than splitting it up into many smaller pieces with the result them raining down and doing broad damage).

The more I think about it, the more absurd the idea becomes to me they shot at the meteor.

IF (and only IF) they really shot at it and actually hit it, then heads off to the Russian air defense

edit on 15-2-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

but phage has spoken!
and that's all there is to it.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

You mean I stated my opinion?
Yes. Yes I did.
I do that sometimes.

edit on 2/15/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by yubiaden

Luckily I got called into work 4 hours early today, can't pass up that double time
. So, I am catching all the excitement as it unfolds

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubAce
I've seen lot's of meteors in my time. One of my favorite past-times, when I'm at the beach is to camp out at night under the stars and just star-gaze, I can usually catch a handful if not more in a couple hours.

Anyway, I can tell you my personal experience with a really big meteor. I was about 11 years old and walking through my neighborhood at night with my older brothers when all of the sudden the who night sky lit up. It was like daylight. I remember seeing everything clearly, the houses, the trees, the grass, just like it was day time, with all of the vivid colors and everything. Just for a brief second. Then we turned to gaze skyward and a huge meteor was whizzing by, and it left a huge track in its wake. It was night out so you couldn't see it except by the light of the meteor that was shining on it. And afterwards there was a huge booming sound.

It was not unlike this event right here. Quite spectacular. Also, I am guessing when that meteor in the video lit up, if it was night, it would have lit up the sky just like when I saw it.

Was this in PA or New Jersey? My father said when my mother and him were first married and living out in this area they were watching tv late at night in bed and saw the same thing through their window. Said they were almost asleep and it was so bright they could see it with eyes shut, followed by a huge sonic boom.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SixX18

No, it wasn't on the east coast. I grew up in Denver, Colorado.

link   
reply to post by fleabit

You are aware that they don't know every asteroid that is near to earth right?
You are aware that unknown asteroids enter our atmosphere all the time right?

Its not part of tomorrows asteroid. If anything MAYBE its some debris that travels the same path as it.
Think of a large area of asteroid debris, some ahead, some behind, off to the sides.

I would think though, that since they are aware of tomorrows asteroid, they would have also noticed debris traveling with it, but who knows.

At any rate, I believe we are lucky to witness this event and have it on video.

+9 more 
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
reply to post by Screwed

but phage has spoken!
and that's all there is to it.

I know YOU are joking but honestly, this IS the way alot of people here think.
It is a very dangerous phenomenon.
There are people who take his often times screwed up and biased, often egotistical and arrogant opinions as gospel.

I would encourage everyone to listen to SEVERAL sources and opinions.

This is one of those times.

This very well MAY be related to the coming asteroid.

WE JUST DON'T KNOW right now.
After it passes with no more strikes THEN we can have this discussion but to come out and put your balls on the dinner table and declare definitively that it is only a coincidence is the height of ignorance and arrogance.

edit to add:
strike that, the people who look to the guy who just slapped his balls on the dinner table and declared something they could not possibly know, based on ZERO evidence, and believe him unquestioningly,.....THAT is the height of ignorance.

link   

Originally posted by Phage
You'd think. Except it's Russia. And they don't like being embarrassed.
But airplane or missile debris is sort of hard to cover up if it's falling all over the countryside. So if they are trying to cover it up it probably won't work very well. Unless, maybe that's what the 20,000...whatever they are...is about.

It is a really wild situation though!

Heh, don't have to tell me about Russia
we adopted my sisters from Russia at the time of the coup in 93(?), was a nice window into the bureaucratic bizzaro land of that country

No offense to any Russians here on ATS.

Just have to wait i guess and see what goes on from here...

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhySoBlinded
Wow Wow,
I find this very weird !

" According to unconfirmed reports, the meteorite was intercepted by an air defense unit at the Urzhumka settlement near Chelyabinsk. A missile salvo reportedly blew the meteorite to pieces at an altitude of 20 kilometers !! ""

It made me think of what Carol Rosin said

First it wil be the evil russians ! then there wil be terrorist !! then the third world countries ( Nations of concern Egypt,Iran,Syria,Libya,Oman.Mali,Tunisia)
Then there wil be asteroids !! and then the last Card the extraterrestrial threat

Could this realy be the case ?
remember that this ufo conference was before 9-11 and the war on terror

Its the headlines on RT also that i find weird as f hell
Meteorite crash in Russia: UFO fears spark panic in the Urals (VIDEO, PHOTOS)

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Someone posted this link earlier on in the thread: www.kxl.com...

And I'm listening to it, someone named Clyde. He said he is receiving pictures and reports of fireballs and loud booms from all around the world. Take that for what it's worth.

ETA:

While I was posting this a guy called in from Puerto Rico to report one, and then his cell phone dropped off.
edit on 15-2-2013 by SubAce because: (no reason given)

link   
KXL Streaming Online

They are getting people calling in from other places (Portland/Peurto Rico) where they see other fireballs.

link   
Fireballs coming down over Puerto Rico so says a caller to the show. (Ground Zero)

link   
reply to post by SubAce

Yeah, this is getting weird. No sleep tonight.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SubAce
I've seen lot's of meteors in my time. One of my favorite past-times, when I'm at the beach is to camp out at night under the stars and just star-gaze, I can usually catch a handful if not more in a couple hours.

Anyway, I can tell you my personal experience with a really big meteor. I was about 11 years old and walking through my neighborhood at night with my older brothers when all of the sudden the who night sky lit up. It was like daylight. I remember seeing everything clearly, the houses, the trees, the grass, just like it was day time, with all of the vivid colors and everything. Just for a brief second. Then we turned to gaze skyward and a huge meteor was whizzing by, and it left a huge track in its wake. It was night out so you couldn't see it except by the light of the meteor that was shining on it. And afterwards there was a huge booming sound.

It was not unlike this event right here. Quite spectacular. Also, I am guessing when that meteor in the video lit up, if it was night, it would have lit up the sky just like when I saw it.

Same here, it was dark in here, but suddenly for 1-2 seconds everything was lit and it was like day. Sadly I didn't see the explosion. It was seen in large area, even where it was cloudy. It was huge bolide that exploded in atmosphere.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
thelatestworldwidemeteorreports.blogspot.com...

Lots of reports of activity from all over the planet on :
Feb. 13th,14th and now on the15th.

www.kxl.com...

Radio station is getting many reports of Fireballs from all over the world.
This station has Great Coverage !!

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Its not part of tomorrows asteroid. If anything MAYBE its some debris that travels the same path as it.
Think of a large area of asteroid debris, some ahead, some behind, off to the sides.

Um.. yea, that's exactly what I said.

A large meteor strike that damaged property and caused thousands of emergency workers to be deployed.. and you think it may be a COINCIDENCE that this occurred 12 hours from the flyby of tomorrow's meteoroid? Ok.. whatever floats your boat.

posted on Feb, 15 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by azureskys
thelatestworldwidemeteorreports.blogspot.com...

Lots of reports of activity from all over the planet on :
Feb. 13th,14th and now on the15th.

www.kxl.com...

Radio station is getting many reports of Fireballs from all over the world.
This station has Great Coverage !!

Too bad the show just ended.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join