It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IQ, Mensa etc.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SproutKY

Originally posted by Phage
Anyone notice a bit of...um...bitterness...in these posts.

Come on...fess up...who applied and didn't make it?
Or, possibly worse, who is a member?

I was a member until I stopped showing up and paying dues. It's really not what it's built up to be, pretty boring. Just a bunch of people talking about being better than other people. Serves no purpose in my opinion.

Kinda like the democratic national convention?

Heyooo.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
I think it's funny how every time I see an IQ or Mensa thread, the majority of responses are about the poster's own IQ - which, btw, is ALWAYS at, or near, genius level. It's as if people see the topic and immediately have to come up with something to respond, just so they could include just how intelligent they are.

I won't include my own IQ, so not to be a hypocrite. lol

Anyway, carry on.

Jeez, what do you expect? It's the subject of the thread. Do you think someone is going to post this kind of response:

"My IQ is 83, but I can make a mean scrambled egg's."

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
after 60 years of life, i have learned that it's not the intellect, but, the "passion" for which you are engaged in.

When I was a teenager and still in school, there was no computer classes yet.
I hated and loathed Latin and Math (yes, I had several years Latin in school
)

Math, for me at that time was "abstract", non-sensical stuff which existed only in form of "solve this!" tasks in my math text book. There was no relationship to anything in "real life", not if we're talking about advanced algebra, formula etc. So..needless to say I hated math and I was always pretty "meh" with my grades there.

ONLY YEARS LATER, after I left school already, I got my first computer. I started to program and whatever geeks do on a computer - and then I realized that math/algebra has actually a function/purpose. It had become something I became interested in because, basically, If you write a program, more often that not you use some formula as part of the code, not unlike the formulas in my math book.

So...it is kind of ironic that I hated math in school and struggled with it..while a few years later than voluntarily wrote computer programs "as a hobby" for hours/day. I always think back that if I had gone to school and had math/algebra AFTER I learned to work with computers I would have seen it with an entirely different eye.
edit on 13-2-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
IQ means F-all in terms of actual performance. I edited MENSA's little quizbook for errors, couple of autumns ago. People tell me I could succeed at anything I want. Think I'm brilliant. Whatever. I'm 32, living with my parents, and barely surviving on disability. And I wish to God I had the opportunity to trade whatever surplus IQ I have to be dumb, happy, and productive.

Edit to Add: I think some people here might not really know what a bona fide IQ test entails. Or what its purpose is. Where I come from we call that "talking out of our a$s," and it is frowned upon. Like this. ->

edit on 13-2-2013 by heyitsok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by SproutKY

I was a member until I stopped showing up and paying dues. It's really not what it's built up to be, pretty boring. Just a bunch of people talking about being better than other people. Serves no purpose in my opinion.

Kinda like the democratic national convention?

Heyooo.

more like the republican convention, but you get the idea...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Do you think someone is going to post this kind of response:

"My IQ is 83, but I can make a mean scrambled egg's."

Very good... but what we ACTUALLY have in this thread is:

"My IQ is 3,432, and I don't know how to make scrambled eggs! IQ is worthless because of my personal, unaccountable testimony!"

This thread:

"The Smarter you are, the Stupider you are, Herp Derp!"

edit on 13-2-2013 by ErtaiNaGia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How do you know there's no difference? Only someone that smart would know, wouldn't they.

It's a very small club.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

No difference from what?
What do you mean?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   

No difference from what?
What do you mean?

How do you know there's no difference between a guy with a 161 IQ and a guy with a 200 IQ?

Like I said, unless you're the guy with the whopper IQ, you don't know.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I just checked. I didn't say there's no difference. Nope.

edit on 2/13/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

I think the term is "pegged". Like when the tachometer hits the peg that keeps it from going any higher.

But who the hell really cares? Beyond a certain (and not really high) level any "intelligence testing" really doesn't indicate much of anything. There are those who go far beyond their tested "potential" and those who get nowhere near it in terms of performance. That's a matter of... disposition?...more than "intelligence".

edit on 2/12/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Again, how do you know? You don't. Because you aren't one of them (geniuses).

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Because you aren't one of them (geniuses).
Pardon me for asking but how do you know that?

But you missed the point of my post. It had to do with performance. It said nothing about "differences".
www.mitpressjournals.org...
edition.cnn.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

In mexico that means Dumb. In this case "mensa" has the gender of female. Kinda fitting

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'd be interested if anybody could answer this:

In other words, how is it that people like Kim Ung-Yong supposedly have an IQ of 210 and whatnot?

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
I'd be interested if anybody could answer this:

In other words, how is it that people like Kim Ung-Yong supposedly have an IQ of 210 and whatnot?

Well, he was the first man to walk on the moon and also the sexiest man alive (for 2012).

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

You are the second person (albeit the first being on a completely different forum) to mistake this Kim, with the Dear Leader of North Korea. The difference is that the Kim at hand, is a South Korean Physics/Engineering heavyweight, not Kim Jong-Un, leader of North Korea.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   

You are the second person (albeit the first being on a completely different forum) to mistake this Kim, with the Dear Leader of North Korea. The difference is that the Kim at hand, is a South Korean Physics/Engineering heavyweight, not Kim Jong-Un, leader of North Korea.

Oops, you are right, I sit corrected.

I thought that Kim Jong-Un could eat an IQ test for breakfast and still be hungry!

Perhaps the exceptionally high score is due to there being several IQ test methodologies and scales.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Because you aren't one of them (geniuses).
Pardon me for asking but how do you know that?

But you missed the point of my post. It had to do with performance. It said nothing about "differences".
www.mitpressjournals.org...
edition.cnn.com...

Are you a Mensa member?

I think it was when I first joined ATS that there was a debate going on in a thread and for some reason one of the posters said they were a Mensa member. The other didn't believe him. So the person started posting screenshots from their computer, and the thread was closed. For some reason I thought it was you.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

OK, so the Mensa sites says that an adult can only score a maximum of 161 on the Cattell III B test.

But what if the person were much cleverer than that? Is there no other test to measure beyond 161? Or will it just be so off the charts and away from the norm (i.e. no scale) that it would be irrelevant?

What we need is a 'Stupid' test to make the stupid people wake the hell up to the fact that they're really stupid.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

OK, so the Mensa sites says that an adult can only score a maximum of 161 on the Cattell III B test.

But what if the person were much cleverer than that? Is there no other test to measure beyond 161? Or will it just be so off the charts and away from the norm (i.e. no scale) that it would be irrelevant?

What we need is a 'Stupid' test to make the stupid people wake the hell up to the fact that they're really stupid.

What would it mean then if you failed the stupid test?

Even stupider?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join