It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assange to run for Victorian Senate seat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Assange to run for Victorian Senate seat

www.theage.com.au

WIKILEAKS publisher Julian Assange will run for the Senate in Victoria at the September 14 federal election as the lead candidate of a newly formed WikiLeaks Party.

Mr Shipton said Mr Assange's enrolment was ''a first step'' in a political campaign that would focus on ''the democratic requirement of truthfulness from government''.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

The party, not yet registered with the Australian Electoral Commission, has an initial 10-member national council comprised of close associates of Mr Assange and pro-WikiLeaks activists. Its constitution highlights the promotion of openness and transparency in government and business.

Opinion polls last year by UMR Research, the company the Labor Party uses for its internal polling, suggest that Mr Assange could be a competitive Senate candidate in Victoria.

It has now been officially confirmed that Assange will be running for the Victorian Senate seat under his newly formed Wikileaks party.

Personally, i think Assange's decision is a good one, considering the amount of support he has in Victoria.

I am interested to see what becomes of his party though. I would also like to read the party's policies as they could prove quite interesting.

What does ATS think?

www.theage.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
But surely Assange would have to actually get to Australia first, let alone leave the Embassy in the UK. He is still stuck in the embassy, right? As soon as he steps out, he'll be piled on by UK police...

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
He is still stuck in the embassy, right? As soon as he steps out, he'll be piled on by UK police...

That's right, he will be arrested and sent to Sweden to face his accusers for that little matter of a (ahem) sex crime. I wonder how many of the women voters in Victoria will be happy voting for a person with the shadow of a sex crime hanging over him? If he’s innocent then he can glow in the self righteousness he deserves, but if he’s guilty then he’s just another scumbag.

Assange is just playing games.

Regards

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Not sure how it works in UK but if he won could he play the diplomatic immunity card?

That would change things considerably. And it may have been his plan the whole time. Is this possible???

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
He is still stuck in the embassy, right? As soon as he steps out, he'll be piled on by UK police...

That's right, he will be arrested and sent to Sweden to face his accusers for that little matter of a (ahem) sex crime. I wonder how many of the women voters in Victoria will be happy voting for a person with the shadow of a sex crime hanging over him? If he’s innocent then he can glow in the self righteousness he deserves, but if he’s guilty then he’s just another scumbag.

Assange is just playing games.

Regards

Everyone knows that's bullsh@t and I don't hear about any distressed women killing themselves in Sweden because they were raped, touched up, whatever by Assange

Although, maybe that's the next step, turn people against him by saying that one of his "victims" topped herself, you heard it here first.

Great choice to be leader for a party imo, and I only hope there's more hidden secrets to be revealed by Wiki, the planet needs it

edit on 12-2-2013 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
Everyone knows that's bullsh@t and I don't hear about any distressed women killing themselves in Sweden because they were raped, touched up, whatever by Assange

Well, we only know what we have been told. If it gets to a trial we will all have access to the facts and we can then all be the judge. Until he faces the music there will always be a doubt. Could it be that he is afraid that when all's revealed his name will be irrevocably tarnished.

Until his name is cleared some women voters may be wary of voting for him.

Regards

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
the more I read about this guy the more I think hes an idiot, who got lucky.... I don't even agree with what he did, and he needs to go away, im sick of seeing him in the news

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

Well, we only know what we have been told. If it gets to a trial we will all have access to the facts and we can then all be the judge. Until he faces the music there will always be a doubt. Could it be that he is afraid that when all's revealed his name will be irrevocably tarnished.

Until his name is cleared some women voters may be wary of voting for him.

Regards

Obviously that's a possibility, however as we all know the age-old tactic, if you can't attack the argument, then attack the persons credibility, it may or may not apply here, but that's also a strong possibility.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I wouldn't vote for him because hes a fugitive on the lam

and he raped a girl, and he refuses to accept the consequences of his actions like a REAL man. Its like the reddit guy, faced with a real problem he offed himself

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrNotforhire

and he raped a girl, and he refuses to accept the consequences of his actions like a REAL man. Its like the reddit guy, faced with a real problem he offed himself

Prove it

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Prove it

Assange accused of rape

Assange on the run

there you go

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Prove it

Assange accused of rape

Assange on the run

there you go

not proof.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

actually im pretty sure thats proof, and if you weren't such an assange groupie you'd realize he's a coward and a rapist! Only guilty people run my friend
edit on 12-2-2013 by DrNotforhire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Zcustosmorum

actually im pretty sure thats proof, and if you weren't such an assange groupie you'd realize he's a coward and a rapist! Only guilty people run my friend
edit on 12-2-2013 by DrNotforhire because: (no reason given)

I ain't an Assange groupie by far mate, I appreciate the stuff that Wikileaks has unearthed and I can also read between the lines, unlike others

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Both Assange and his groupies need to grow up.Develop some maturity and please just go away.It is NOT going to happen. I don't know how this self absorbed fool got media attention.He has exposed absolutely nothing.And is nothing but a distraction from what need's exposing,but prehap's that is his job.
Yes and he left the poor whistle blower kid out to hang and dry.He's a dog.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenJack

When I read your post I had been thinking of the same scenario - diplomatic immunity. I imagine he was always going to head towards politics given that he is not shy about his views. He seems to me to be incredibly intelligent as I watched an interview where he was asked questions about Wikileaks and Bradley Manning.

He stated quite eloquently that Wikileaks is set up so that when people share information he does not know where it originates - so the person sharing the information is not known to Wikileaks personnel. Pretty clever design!

As for the rape allegations - allegations from CIA operatives. The two women are CIA operatives who were tasked with the assignment of setting him up and that they did. Julian Assange made a statement to the press immediately the allegations were made formal. The investigation of the alleged crime was fraught with improper investigation techniques such as; interviewing both victims at the same time - take it from a former police officer - that is never how you conduct any investigation - always victims and witnesses are interviewed separately. And I want some one to tell me what rape victim hangs around afterwards? They stayed with him for some time afterwards - one acccount stated the women dined with him - at their expense! These are not the behaviours of rape victims.

I read an article where the leader of the Pirate Party in Sweden was dining with Julian Assange and the CIA operatives prior to the allegations. So not to stray too far off topic - politics was already present in his life and by winning an election and gaining a seat he may very well be on the path to diplomatic protection. All I know is the current paradigm in which we live is fundamentally flawed. No government policy/law/declaration is perfect and a discerning, sentient and intelligent mind will find the way through.

Much Peace...

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
When I read your post I had been thinking of the same scenario - diplomatic immunity.

Just because you are a diplomat does not suggest for a minute you would be immune from criminal investigations. Besides, if he was an MP he would not be a diplomat. A diplomat is recognised by both nations as such and I have no doubt Britain would not recognise Assange even if Australia decided to call him one!

Originally posted by Amanda5
As for the rape allegations - allegations from CIA operatives. The two women are CIA operatives who were tasked with the assignment of setting him up and that they did.

Of course there is no evidence of this assertion. It is worrying that to obsessively defend someone people start to make things up and will believe anything even without the evidence. If Assange had been stopped for speeding it is likely that someone would have drummed up some belief that it was the CIA.

The fact is that Assange needs to clear his name and let the facts be scrutinised. If he thinks the CIA is involved then this can come out in court if it gets that far.

Rape is a serious issue and some people who think it's not are probably not women and / or don’t know a victim.

Regards

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Balance of power in the upper house held by Assange--I like the idea. Most people vote above the line for the senate...

To the poster who mentioned Aaron Swartz' suicide: That's totally disrespectful and uncalled for.

posted on Feb, 13 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I'm from Victoria and I back Assange 100%

The rape charges are too convenient, of course the lying scumbags set him up for exposing them.

It would be great to get someone into the senate like him.
A nice change form the dull, do nothing, out of touch morons in their now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join