It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking - 3 dead in Wilmington Delaware Courthouse Shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Joe Bidens Hometown ....

NBC Philadelphia

A gunman entered the lobby of the New Castle County Courthouse in Wilmington, Del., at 8:00 a.m. Monday and opened fire, striking four people before being shot by Capitol Police. Among those dead is the shooter’s wife.

The shooting took place inside the courthouse, located at 500 N. King Street. Upon reports of the incident, police closed surrounding streets and nearby schools went on lockdown. While inside, visitors and courthouse employees ran for cover.

More info at the news site ...

I've done Jury Duty there.
I thought the security measures there were outstanding.
I'm sure Joe Biden has been briefed on this .. it's his hometown and all.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

There is no security from human madness.

Sometimes it looks as if there is no hope for us.
edit on 11-2-2013 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

My question is:
How did this person get into a government building with a weapon?
In my hometown, the Court has a large metal detector with accompanying Deputies.
So unless you bolted through, you can't make it inside without help.

Why are we failing to keep our buildings secure?
(And why does it seems to keep happening more frequently?)

Next thing you know, will be the mention of a "assault weapon".
When the person probably used a pistol.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Sounds like the guy intended to kill his wife but got carried away. This kind of behavior is totally unacceptable in society. Seems like people are going nuts lately, finding the cause of this insanity and stopping it is what should be investigated.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The shooter was on America's most wanted a few years ago for abducting his children & fleeing. They believe it was his wife he killed at the courthouse. His name is David matusiewicz....here's the story, it's all over my news, every channel.......www.myfoxphilly.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

My question is:

If I remember right (it has been awhile since I have been in that building) the metal detectors aren't at the front door, they are only at certain points, so they could get a gun into the building but not into a courtroom.

If anybody is wondering what Wilmington is like, it is a complete crap-hole, and no, Biden does not have a home in Wilmington, he is in Greenville, a bit more north of the city., a ritzy area full of huge old stone made buildings and millionaires.

BTW, Wilmington, DE was named the most dangerous city in the USA to live, in 2012.

1. Wilmington, Delaware A short drive from South Philly and Camden and midway between New York and Washington, Wilmington managed to snag the number one spot on our list for highest rate of violent crimes per 100,000 people. And while the overall state of Delaware ranked moderately well in the peace index (which looked at factors such as police per capita, percentage of population behind bars and access to small arms), Wilmington came in the top spot for sex offenders per capita.

www.parenting.com...

edit on 11-2-2013 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello

Originally posted by havok

My question is:

If I remember right (it has been awhile since I have been in that building) the metal detectors aren't at the front door, they are only at certain points, so they could get a gun into the building but not into a courtroom.

He supposedly shot them in the lobby. 2 police officers were also shot, but obviously the hospital won't release any info on their condition.....

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Joe Bidens Hometown ....

What a twist! (In my M. Knight Shamalan voice)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

This seemed to be a personal vendetta. This man was on America's most wanted a few years back, he was also charged with some type of fraud, he basically hated his wife, definitely didn't want her to have the kids, so he stole them & fled for a lengthy period of time, I believe, to a different country too I think....long history of instability with this guy. So it seems....

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

Yea, that's what it looks like.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
3 Victims or more. Sure as a rule written in a book these days. 3 victims or more and a firearm involved and it's national news.

I wonder...if he went on a rampage with a knife or just went berserk with a baseball bat, would the nation have even heard of this beyond local coverage? I'll bet not. My goodness though, a domestic situation spilled over into a courthouse (It happens....FREQUENTLY...why do we figure they have such security at the doors?) and (gasp) an evil gun was involved? Now it's national....wait...international given who is carrying it.

When they've banned guns entirely from every law abiding citizen in North America...I wonder...can we THEN not hear about every shooting with 3 or more victims like it was a story never heard before? The shootings won't stop...they'll increase when the bans are successful. Please let the media coverage stop though. At least make it 10 or more. Maybe it'll only be once a month or something then.

I can hardly wait to see what kind of tempest in a teapot Biden blows this into. It ought to be epic if he doesn't ignore it outright. Not much in-between with him.
edit on 11-2-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by sageofmonticello

When I was there for jury duty, you were able to go into the lobby which was a pretty big place, and then you had to pass through metal detectors and a bunch of police.

If anybody is wondering what Wilmington is like, it is a complete crap-hole,

It depends on what part of Wilmington you are in.
But it is a high crime rate for sure.

no, Biden does not have a home in Wilmington, he is in Greenville, a bit more north of the city., a ritzy area full of huge old stone made buildings and millionaires.

This whole North Wilmington area .. Hockessin and Greenville and Claymont etc etc ... it is all 'Wilmington' to the people here. It all sort of morphs together. But yes, he is in a very exclusive part of town.

edit on 2/11/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
But, of course, this has nothing to do with guns, so we can all rest easy... Let's ban courthouses, we'll all be safer.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Not sure how this happened - the courthouse here is a "gun free zone". Isn't that supposed to protect us all from this madness?

I have permission from the local judge to concealed carry in our courthouse as I am a PI and conduct a lot of business there - all I had to do was ask and have the Sheriff vouch for me. Our county has not metal detectors or deputies on duty at the doors because we simply don't have the money for it and we have never ever had a shooting.

How is it possible that in a "gun free zone" these things happen? Clearly, it only restricts law abiding people from carrying firearms as usual since criminals don't much care one way or the other.

They usually enter with intent - I doubt hardly if ever someone with a CCW permit just decides well #, I’ve got this gun and have never used it I'll start now by shooting some random people...BOOM, BOOM!.

This is a classic example of how ridiculous "gun free zone" designations are.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

This whole North Wilmington area .. Hockessin and Greenville and Claymont etc etc ... it is all 'Wilmington' to the people here. It all sort of morphs together. But yes, he is in a very exclusive part of town.

Speak for yourself, I am the people here, I don't for a second consider Hockessin, Claymont or Greenville to be Wilmington, but to each their own I suppose.

It depends on what part of Wilmington you are in. But it is a high crime rate for sure.

I guess, kinda. Not really though. I mean, If you consider Hockession to be Wilmington, you would have a point...

I consider Wilmington to be anywhere that pays the Wilmington City tax, No city tax, then that is not Wilmington. The city limits. Anywhere within the city limits (including my home) is a crap hole of crime, trash, spray paint and thugs. Just my thoughts though
I thought I was in one of those better areas of Wilmington till my neighbor opened his door last year only to have his face blown off by a shot gun and his house robbed.

Happy to find somebody local here on ATS though(or at least has lived in the area, if not a current resident), none the less. Don't take my disagreement as nit-picking or mean or argumentative or whatever, just my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

I do agree, I do only think of the city as "Wilmington" even though I have family & friends that do not live in the city but their mailing addresses are Wilmington.

Glad to see local people on this site as well!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cheebie23

d to see local people on this site as well!

Greetings cheebie23. Glad to meet you.

Yea, it is funny you mention the mailing address thing, I remember a buddy of mine having to fight with his HR dept because they kept charging him city tax on his paychecks because his zip code was Wilmington but the town he actually lives in is Holly Oak. Took 3 months for them to stop it, not sure if he ever got that money back or not.

To the OP, sorry, I will try to stop derailing the thread with off topic posts now

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
So let's sum things up.

Budget cutbacks force most local authorities to layoff LE officers or workers.
I see it in a nearby town, where they've cut ALL officers, now theres none.
Local government offices are neglected or unprotected, because they can't afford it.
There's apparently no way to stop "madmen" from commiting crimes...anyhow.
People with only one thing in mind, i.e., murder or killing, will stop at nothing to do so.
Background checks or NICS is only good for honest people that are trying to buy firearms.
Criminals, or people with malicious intent, will aquire weapons anyway possible.

So let's get rid of what is obviously the peoples last/only defense against these heinous acts.
Or just make it harder to carry them at all times in all places.

Yeah...that's going to work.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

I'd say you sum it up pretty well, actually. Cops are cut, Training is cut, Resources are cut and Prisons are under the budget axe too, leading to early releasing.

In all that, we hear with almost every 'garden variety shooting' (hate to say we have such things..but have for decades), we need to, as you say, surrender that last best hope for defense.

Well, just remember now, it's only for your own good. After all, they're from the Government and here to help, yes? They'd never do anything for us that wasn't in our best interests. (tries real real hard at keeping a straight face)

Stats since the 80's say there will be 20-30 more shootings in the 24 hours starting tonight at midnight. it's happened every 24 hours for over 30 years. I wonder how many will make national news by this time tomorrow?

top topics

join