It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pope Benedict to resign

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by VaterOrlaag
Yet more proof that the Catholic Church is obsolete.

Good. No more Popes. We've had enough.

The world does not have time for the faux wisdom of old white men.

I hate to say this, because even as a Catholic "on paper", I am not really religious in the slightest.

BUT...if i had to choose between Ratzinger (Pope) and any of the slime politicians...I'd choose the Pope.
In fact, some things he said in the past made a lot of sense. Even as someone not very fond of the church, this needs to be acknowledged.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Archbishop Paolo Romeo, the leader of Sicily’s Catholics, who made headlines February 10, 2012 when the Italian newspaper Il Fatto Quotidiano published parts of a secret communique involving the Cardinal and a criminal conspiracy to assassinate Pope Benedict XVI before the end of 2012.[xiii] Evidently at the center of the Mordkomplott (contract to kill the pope) is political machinations in Rome involving Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, whose growing thirst for power Benedict has come to hate according to the leaked document, and another Italian now favored as successor by Benedict, Cardinal Angelo Scola, currently the Archbishop of Milan. The contract against the pope and the prediction by Cardinal Paola that was allegedly made in secret to his Italian and Chinese business partners in Beijing concerning Benedict not living past the end of 2012 was apparently believed serious enough that somebody among Paola’s listeners “suspected that he himself was involved in a specific plot to assassinate Pope Benedict XVI.

Tom Horn wrote a book last year about the last pope. This is from his website, and is from one of many articles he has up today about Benedict's resignation. If true, it might explain why he went ahead and stepped down.

~OkieDokie

ETA: Also from the link

Besides Francis Arinze, Tarcisio Bertone, Peter Turkson, and Angelo Scola, other nominees for the Final Pope include Cardinals Gianfranco Ravasi, Leonardo Sandri, Ennio Antonelli, Jean-Louis Tauran, Christoph Schönborn, Marc Quellet, and the highly improbable but popular Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York City.

edit on 11-2-2013 by OkieDokie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Rome has been captured and the reigning Pope has recognized this and abdicated his Throne.

Its under new management...

...nothing to see here. most people will barely recognize the changes.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OkieDokie

Archbishop Paolo Romeo, the leader of Sicily’s Catholics, who made headlines February 10, 2012 when the Italian newspaper Il Fatto Quotidiano published parts of a secret communique involving the Cardinal and a criminal conspiracy to assassinate Pope Benedict XVI before the end of 2012.[xiii] Evidently at the center of the Mordkomplott (contract to kill the pope) is political machinations in Rome involving Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, whose growing thirst for power Benedict has come to hate according to the leaked document, and another Italian now favored as successor by Benedict, Cardinal Angelo Scola, currently the Archbishop of Milan. The contract against the pope and the prediction by Cardinal Paola that was allegedly made in secret to his Italian and Chinese business partners in Beijing concerning Benedict not living past the end of 2012 was apparently believed serious enough that somebody among Paola’s listeners “suspected that he himself was involved in a specific plot to assassinate Pope Benedict XVI.

Tom Horn wrote a book last year about the last pope. This is from his website, and is from one of many articles he has up today about Benedict's resignation. If true, it might explain why he went ahead and stepped down.

~OkieDokie

ETA: Also from the link

Besides Francis Arinze, Tarcisio Bertone, Peter Turkson, and Angelo Scola, other nominees for the Final Pope include Cardinals Gianfranco Ravasi, Leonardo Sandri, Ennio Antonelli, Jean-Louis Tauran, Christoph Schönborn, Marc Quellet, and the highly improbable but popular Timothy Dolan, Archbishop of New York City.

edit on 11-2-2013 by OkieDokie because: (no reason given)

Yes - and they have a book due to come out this April....
www.youtube.com...

A little too far fetched for me....but yet another interesting coincidence as far as timing is concerned

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Here is what I have to say about the situation...quoting myself from another thread that was closed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Of course this must have something to do with the "Dove of peace" released on holocaust memorial day being attacked by the seagull...bad omen?

nah...just kidding.

If they appoint the man...I think Peter Turkson...perhaps well have the "Petrus Romanus" and the final Pope...

Nah...kidding again.

I'm not Catholic and don't know squat about Catholicism...just being ornery...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

BBC: Pope Benedict XVI in shock resignation

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month after nearly eight years as the head of the Catholic Church, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

The unexpected development - the first papal resignation in nearly 600 years - surprised governments, Vatican-watchers and even his closest aides.

The Vatican says it expects a new Pope to be elected before Easter.

Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger became Pope in 2005 after John Paul II's death.

With the Fall of Rome, now is the time for a new saviour for a new age.

The Fall of Rome: Our saviour Condoleezza Rice vs. The Pope - YouTube

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bintang

Yes, he does get a bit "out there" at times. I met him a couple years ago and he is a very brilliant man. He knows his stuff, but I don't necessarily agree with his conclusions on some things. I haven't read his book Petrus Romanus (about the last pope), but I have heard a few interviews he has done on the topic and the rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

He is probably the most knowledgeable person I could think of on the topic and he has some pretty good nuggets of info in his writings, just take from them what you will.

~OkieDokie

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
List of living cardinals

I"m not sure which one has Rome.
IF the St. Malachy prediction is correct, then I'd think that would be the next pope.
I never bought into that prediction before.
But when Ratzinger took Benedict for a name ... I switched to believing it is probably true.

Wow, what an exciting time we live in...Just like a thriller unfolding...Let us take the pop-corn out, choose a comfortable seat and wait what willl happen next. If true many "events" will occur which can be connected over time. Maybe the connected dots will show an ugly beast in the end.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Here are the wikis on each of the possible contenders for the papacy according to the list I posted from Raiders. Each one gives stats and shows each man's coat of arms.

Francis Arinze

Francis Arinze (born 1 November 1932) is an Igbo Nigerian[1] Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He is Prefect Emeritus of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, having served as prefect from 2002 to 2008. He is the current Cardinal Bishop of Velletri-Segni (succeeding Joseph Ratzinger, who became Pope Benedict XVI) since 2005. Arinze was one of the principal advisors to Pope John Paul II, and was considered papabile before the 2005 papal conclave, which elected Benedict XVI.[2]

Tarcisio Bertone

Tarcisio Pietro Evasio Bertone, S.D.B. (born 2 December 1934) is an Italian prelate and diplomat. A cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church, he currently serves as Cardinal Secretary of State and Camerlengo, having previously served as Archbishop of Vercelli from 1991 to 1995, as Secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, when Cardinal Ratzinger, the future Pope Benedict XVI, was Prefect, and Archbishop of Genoa from 2002 to 2006. Bertone was elevated to the cardinalate in 2003. On 10 May 2008, he was named Cardinal-Bishop of Frascati. Besides his native Italian, Bertone speaks fluent French, Spanish, German and Portuguese. He has some knowledge of English, although he is not fluent, and he can read Polish (and he has a Polish secretary), Latin, Greek and Hebrew.

Peter Turkson

Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson (born 11 October 1948) is a Ghanaian Cardinal of the Catholic Church. He is the current president of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace since his appointment by Pope Benedict XVI on 24 October 2009. He had previously served as Archbishop of Cape Coast. He was elevated to the cardinalate by Pope John Paul II in 2003.[1]

Angelo Scola

Angelo Scola (Italian pronunciation: [ˌandʒelo ˈskɔːla]) (born 7 November 1941) is an Italian Cardinal of the Catholic Church, philosopher and theologian. He was appointed Archbishop of Milan by Pope Benedict XVI on 28 June 2011.[1] He had previously served as Patriarch of Venice since 2002. He was elevated to the cardinalate in 2003. He is currently being considered as a contender to succeed Benedict XVI, who resigned in 2013.[2]

Giafranco Ravasi

Gianfranco Ravasi (born 18 October 1942) is an Italian prelate, a cardinal of the Catholic Church. He currently serves in the Roman Curia as President of the Pontifical Council for Culture. On 20 November 2010 Ravasi was created cardinal by Pope Benedict XVI.

Leonardo Sandri

Leonardo Sandri (born 18 November 1943) is an Argentinean Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He is the current Prefect of the Congregation for the Oriental Churches in the Roman Curia, having previously served as Apostolic Nuncio to Venezuela (1997–2000), Apostolic Nuncio to Mexico (2000) and Substitute for General Affairs (2000–2007). He was elevated to the cardinalate in 2007.

Ennio Antonelli

Ennio Antonelli (born 18 November 1936) is an Italian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church and retired President of the Pontifical Council for the Family.

Jean-Louis Tauran

Jean-Louis Pierre Tauran (born 3 April 1943) is a French cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. He currently serves as President of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue in the Roman Curia. He was elevated to the cardinalate in 2003 and is the current Cardinal Protodeacon.

Christoph Schonborn

Christoph Maria Michael Hugo Damian Peter Adalbert (Graf von) Schönborn, OP (born 22 January 1945) is an Austrian cardinal of the Catholic Church and theologian. He currently serves as the Archbishop of Vienna and President of the Austrian Bishops Conference. He was elevated to the cardinalate in 1998. He is also the chaplain of the Order of the Golden Fleece, of which he has been a member since 1961.

Continued....

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Marc Ouellet

Marc Ouellet, PSS (born 8 June 1944, La Motte, Quebec) is a Canadian Cardinal of the Catholic Church. He is the present prefect of the Congregation for Bishops and concurrently president of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America since his appointment by Pope Benedict XVI on 30 June 2010. Previously, he was archbishop of Quebec, and thus primate of Canada. He was elevated to the cardinalate, by Pope John Paul II, on 21 October 2003.

Timothy M. Dolan

Timothy Michael Dolan (born February 6, 1950) is an American Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. Appointed by Pope Benedict XVI, Dolan is the tenth and current Archbishop of New York. Dolan also currently serves as the President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and was granted the titular position as Archpriest of Nostra Signora di Guadalupe a Monte Mario (English: Our Lady of Guadalupe of Mount Mario) in Rome. Dolan is widely known for his conservative values and charismatic media personality. He previously served as Archbishop of Milwaukee from 2002 to 2009, preceded by service as an Auxiliary Bishop of St. Louis from 2001 to 2002. Time Magazine named Dolan one of the "100 Most Influential People in the World" for 2012. Dolan is considered a potential successor in the 2013 papal conclave, triggered by the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI.[2]

So that's all the ones they had listed if anyone is interested in comparing them against the prophecies. I did find it interesting that Wiki has already updated Dolan's page to say that he is a potential successor.

~OkieDokie

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OkieDokie
Marc Ouellet

Marc Ouellet, PSS (born 8 June 1944, La Motte, Quebec) is a Canadian Cardinal of the Catholic Church. He is the present prefect of the Congregation for Bishops and concurrently president of the Pontifical Commission for Latin America since his appointment by Pope Benedict XVI on 30 June 2010. Previously, he was archbishop of Quebec, and thus primate of Canada. He was elevated to the cardinalate, by Pope John Paul II, on 21 October 2003.

Timothy M. Dolan

Timothy Michael Dolan (born February 6, 1950) is an American Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church. Appointed by Pope Benedict XVI, Dolan is the tenth and current Archbishop of New York. Dolan also currently serves as the President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and was granted the titular position as Archpriest of Nostra Signora di Guadalupe a Monte Mario (English: Our Lady of Guadalupe of Mount Mario) in Rome. Dolan is widely known for his conservative values and charismatic media personality. He previously served as Archbishop of Milwaukee from 2002 to 2009, preceded by service as an Auxiliary Bishop of St. Louis from 2001 to 2002. Time Magazine named Dolan one of the "100 Most Influential People in the World" for 2012. Dolan is considered a potential successor in the 2013 papal conclave, triggered by the resignation of Pope Benedict XVI.[2]

So that's all the ones they had listed if anyone is interested in comparing them against the prophecies. I did find it interesting that Wiki has already updated Dolan's page to say that he is a potential successor.

~OkieDokie

On 9 December 2008 Benedict XVI accepted the resignation of Arinze as prefect of the Congregation of Divine Worship. His successor, who took office that same day, is Cardinal Antonio Cañizares Llovera.[4] On 1 November 2012 Cardinal Arinze lost his eligibly to participate and vote in any future conclaves occurring as the result of any period of sede vacante.

en.wikipedia.org...

So, one black Pope out of the way....

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Wow
That really is a shock.

That means the next pope is the last on Malichi's list if i remember correctly.

SnF

Just saw an article on yahoo, And this is the same thing I wanted to post. Looks like the end is coming in a month or 2, whenever the next pope is elected.

Peter the Roman right?

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

That's some impressive work, , Okie. You ought to run the ATS book on the next Pope.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ginga
Always found the Malachy prophecies quite curious. The interpretations seem to be quite accurate when referenced against the popes' coats of arms:

en.wikipedia.org...

Very interested to see how this pans out.

Certainly.
The question is though if some choices are made so they 'fit' the prophecy.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by SonsOfTheMeek

Why do people just believe this. Beware the sheep....

If you want to convince people otherwise deliver a convincing argument. Calling those with other worldviews stupid will not change anybody's mind.

To be fair though for every particular belief there is to be found on this site there is a faction of die hard supporters who will never be swayed.
edit on 11-2-2013 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sitting motionless on a golden throne, and riding around in a guarded plexiglass chariot is hard work after all.

Poor guy.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bintang

Thanks for that bintang. I was wanting to get initial info up for folks who were interested and am just now really digging into each of them. I missed that about him in my quick once over so thanks for pointing it out. Definately looks like he won't be the next in line.

~OkieDokie

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Just a hunch, but maybe a scandal is on the way involving Benedict, they know it's coming so get him out asap. To give a date of 28th the same month sounds a bit iffy.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join