It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pope Benedict to resign

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Originally posted by SonsOfTheMeek
This is it. Peter the Roman, the last pope, is ready to ascend to his throne. He's ordered Pope Benedict to step aside. It's apocalypse time. I hope everyone's ready.

What a load of rubbish.

Wow... Jesus does suffer the foolish...

Life will pass you by and when you are old you will look back and realise your trite.

"The second will be named Peter, and he may be the last Pope. Malachy's prophecy about Peter says, "In extreme persecution, the seat of the Holy Roman Church will be occupied by Peter the Roman, who will feed the sheep through many tribulations, at the term of which the city of seven hills will be destroyed, and the formidable Judge will judge his people.""

Popes and Prophecy

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

"How much you want to bet that the next one will be a Marian worshiper."

Something to do with the Fatima prophecy i imagine?
edit on 11-2-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
So why did he resign?
I'm not buying the ill health one since so many die in power.
That leaves political scheming by some group to get their man in place.
A loss of faith by Benedict. Either knowing some scandal or some such is coming or simply not believing in the position anymore.

Of the three I lean towards the political. ..Though it's just a hunch.

link   
Here is the full text of his statement from the Vatican:

Dear Brothers, I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonisations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church.

After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry.

I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering.

However, in today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to steer the boat of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me.

For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects.

And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff.

With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

edit on 11-2-2013 by nolabel because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by SonsOfTheMeek

Why do people just believe this. Beware the sheep....

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Has a Pope ever resigned before?

Once. But not in recent history. It was the 1400s

Originally posted by Truth_Hz
however in the list of the Cardinal Electors there is only one called Peter.

Doesn't matter. They take a new name upon election.

Originally posted by bintang
According to Italian news - these are the top 5 candidates
www.tgcom24.mediaset.it...

They never get it right. In fact, if someone is in the news as a 'top candidate' then the Cardinals usually shy away from that person.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
So why did he resign?

As I said .. when he was elected, his own brother said he'd last five years because of his age and his health. Pope Benedict was the right hand man to Pope John Paul II ... he saw the damage of having a feeble person in office could do. He's probably stepping aside before he becomes as feeble and useless ...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by magma

why are you contributing to this thread....beware the troll!

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

So why did he resign?

As I said .. when he was elected, his own brother said he'd last five years because of his age and his health. Pope Benedict was the right hand man to Pope John Paul II ... he saw the damage of having a feeble person in office could do. He's probably stepping aside before he becomes as feeble and useless ...

Thanks. Maybe it really is as simple as that. It's not as much fun to speculate over though. :-D

Perhaps the sheer strangeness of a papal resignation is what strikes me most about it.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:21 AM
link   

So why did he resign?
A loss of faith by Benedict. Either knowing some scandal or some such is coming or simply not believing in the position anymore.

around this time last year it was leaked the pope would be dead in a year.

its blindingly obviously that he is most likely suffering from a terminal illness.

he is reported to have said that when the danger is big you can no longer flee it. he looks like he is very ill. he is 85.

and immediately you dismiss ill health??

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

So why did he resign?

around this time last year it was leaked the pope would be dead in a year.

its blindingly obviously that he is most likely suffering from a terminal illness.

he is reported to have said that when the danger is big you can no longer flee it. he looks like he is very ill. he is 85.

and immediately you dismiss ill health??

Yes. I've never known a Pope resign. All my life they've died in office.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
soon to be exbenedict

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissConstrood
reply to post by magma

why are you contributing to this thread....beware the troll!

Just testing the water.

So far all I see is wanna be theologists inventing far out theories about a frail and ageing pope that wants to be known for his goodness and leave with dignity.

Edit. I noticed your contribution to this thread is stellar. Keep up your good work.

edit on 11-2-2013 by magma because: responding to a noob with respect

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
According to the Guardian, Ghana's Cardinal Peter Turkson is the leading candidate. Thus a Pope Peter before his name is changed and he is black. Seems to fulfill the prophecy if it happens.
Links:
www.guardian.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum
soon to be exbenedict

Nice one. :-D I may be sending that as a text later.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Bloomberg reported the favorite for the next pope to be, Cardinal PETER Turkson of Ghana.
Bloomberg article

Cardinal Peter Turkson ... his Wikipedia page has now been hacked ...
en.wikipedia.org...
Pedophilia etc etc has been added. :shk:

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I posted this on the other threads about the same thing but it really shocked me, that last line seems... idk

In 1909, while granting an audience, pope Pius X leaned back and closed his eyes. Suddenly he "awoke" and cried out: "What I see is terrifying. Will it be myself? Will it be my successor? What is certain is that the pope will quit Rome, and in leaving the Vatican, he will have to walk over the dead bodies of his priests."

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Bloomberg reported the favorite for the next pope to be, Cardinal PETER Turkson of Ghana.
Bloomberg article

Cardinal Peter Turkson ... his Wikipedia page has now been hacked ...
en.wikipedia.org...
Pedophilia etc etc has been added. :shk:

A Wikipedia article hacked?
(if you didn't know, anyone can edit on Wikipedia).

Interesting though, if true, apparently he's name is Peter, and he is black.

EDIT: don't see anything about pedophilia on the page...
edit on 11-2-2013 by salainen because: (no reason given)

EDIT: I see, you were looking at revision 537696105 (by 58.107.252.40 . It was edited out quickly.
edit on 11-2-2013 by salainen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Surprising news, but I feel resigning makes a better transition than if he had suddenly died. As for this beening part of a prophecy, well...guess we will soon find out.

posted on Feb, 11 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
could this be the next one?
Tarcisio PIETRO Evasio Bertone

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join