It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North America should move toward isolationism.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

No those are "THE RESERVE'S"

Reserve :1a to hold in reserve
b to set aside at Eucharist for future use
C to retain or hold over for a future time or place

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
so the gov't tells private industry who to do business with ?

nah

we just need to send norma rae to china and get their labor costs up

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Isolationism : 1 The policy or doctrine of isolating one's country from affairs of other nations
by declining to enter into alliances,Forgin Economic Commitments etc.
SEEKING TO DEVOTE THE ENTIRE OF ONES COUNTRY TO IT'S OWN
ADVANCEMENT, and remain at peace by avoiding foregin entanglements
And responsibiltities.

The U.S and North America could very well be self sufficient in the near future.Also by pulling away as the Worlds biggest comsumer how are (unless we choose to buy them) other countries economy's going to fair?.If other countries impose tariff's to large they can keep their good's.
edit on 8-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

I don't need a dictionary definition of isolationism my friend.

The U.S and North America could very well be self sufficient in the near future.Also by pulling away as the Worlds biggest comsumer how are (if we choose to buy them) other countries economy's going to fair?.If other countries impose tariff's to large they can keep their good's.

Oh really?

Where are you going to get your computers from? Your cell phones, tablets, gaming consoles, TV's, radios etc?

Electronics are mostly imported from other countries. All if not most of the vital components of your infrastructure must be built abroad and then shipped overseas to the US.

There is NO such thing as self sufficient in a 21st century world wide economy, unless that country has the ability to build and maintain EVERY one of those vital sectors. Which no nation can do. At least no nation has been able to do so.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Where are you going to get your computers from? Your cell phones, tablets, gaming consoles, TV's, radios etc

We will build them.Do you remember where it started.Silicone Valley?Rare Earth's were adressed in the O/P.
If you think with our unemployment at 9% we can't rebuild industry you are underestimating us.

There is NO such thing as self sufficient in a 21st century world wide economy, unless that country has the ability to build and maintain EVERY one of those vital sectors. Which no nation can do. At least no nation has been able to do so.

At least no nation has been able to do so.

Now it is very viable, uniquely now for the U.S and North America.I think you are a smart person by the lively debate we are having.I think that you also know what would happen to the rest of the world,if this sceniro happened or was attempted,and it bothers you.

The U.S would still by far be in the strongest position.The rest of the world would be in the deepest depression that it has ever seen.You keep mentioning the world economy I am not talking about the world economy.I am talking about the U.S's

.....man...

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
[.

The U.S would still by far be in the strongest position.The rest of the world would be in the deepest depression that it has ever seen.You keep mentioning the world economy I am not talking about the world economy.I am talking about the U.S's

.....man...

Not true even with the EU in trouble - the EU has a greater economic output then the US, plus Russia is rich with resources. Asia and China are rich. India - South America.

Come on .. the 6.7 billion people left after you isolate the US and turn it into North Korea, would be ok.

2.The wealth of the U.S. economy.Although the United States contains only four percent of the world’s population, it accounts for nearly 25 percent of global economic output. The combined effects of being one of the richest countries in the world and one of the largest in terms of population put the U.S. market in a dominant position. Only the European Union now exceeds the U.S. market in size and wealth.The EU achieved unity of currency in 2002. Currently, the Euro has been adopted by sixteen member states of the European Union and is shared by 500 million citizens, making it one of the world’s most important currencies and one of the EU’s greatest achievements. Economic and financial affairs (2012, June 7). In European Commission. Retrieved June 22, 2012, from ec.europa.eu...)
www.globalization101.org...

edit on 8-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
It will never happen.

If you haven't noticed the countries that the US demonise, and/or invade, are countries who are isolationist.

The US wants a global economy, with western capitalists running the show. It's governments have to be involved globally also.

edit on 2/8/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

We will build them.Do you remember where it started.Silicone Valley?Rare Earth's were adressed in the O/P.
If you think with our unemployment at 9% we can't rebuild industry you are underestimating us.

You won't be able to SELL any if you make them. An Iphone would cost 10 times to produce in the US as it would in China. Therefore would cost 10 times as much.

Nobody is going to buy electronics at the cost it would take to produce them in nations like the US.

You also do not have the resources to produce these things. You don't have enough rare earth materials or basic resources/infrastructure to support this.

Furthermore, do you really expect companies like Apple and others to sink ALL their profits into an entirely new manufacturing market?

I think not.

The World Economy's health directly influences the economy in the US. A financial crisis in Europe, effects the markets in the US. The world uses the US Dollar as a reserve currency, if that were to disappear, the value of your dollar would plummet.

No nation can rely on only itself for a healthy economy anymore. Too many interconnected industries and factors need to be explored and dealt with.

And in all honesty, don't you think that if Mexico COULD produce all those products for you at the same or cheaper costs, that they would have started already?

I'm not disagreeing that US should move towards being more self sustainable in manufacturing, but it won't be able to compete on the global market like China and Indonesia can, because you can't make products that cheap in the US.

Why do you think those companies went overseas to begin with? It wasn't just because of labor costs.

ETA: As a side note, the Iphone 5 is pegged at about 200$ production wise. It's sold in in Canada for 699.99 full retail.

~Tenth
edit on 2/8/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
North America should move toward isolationism.

Been trying to do this for years, but they always push back and tell me I have to accept government in my life.

People think its bad out there wait til you live here.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

You sir are the only post that has made any sense,star from me.But if we could move the way of my o/p why would you care?

If you haven't noticed the countries that the US demonise, and/or invade, are countries who are isolationist.

Since we are so evil wouldn't this rid you of us?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Only because he is th eonly person who has agreed with you
Kim Jong Un Mcgilicutty ..[ har d to spell ]

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

You won't be able to SELL any if you make them. An Iphone would cost 10 times to produce in the US as it would in China. Therefore would cost 10 times as much.

I'm not trying to be a jerk,but I thought you read the defination of Isolationism.We wouldn't be selling them to anyone.You are STUCK on a globle economy sceniro,I am not.

The World Economy's health directly influences the economy in the US. A financial crisis in Europe, effects the markets in the US. The world uses the US Dollar as a reserve currency, if that were to disappear, the value of your dollar would plummet

Again THE WORLD ECONOMY, and Isolationiist economy would be two entirely different type's of economies.We remove ourself's from the global economy and back our NEW note's with silver and gold,then there would still be plenty of confidence in our new note's for us.If the old dollar plummet's they can deal with it.We won't need the fiat dollar or petrol dollar anymore.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Kim-jong- un-mcgilitcutty
love it.

By the way you are wrong he didn't agree with me either.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
But if we could move the way of my o/p why would you care?

No, I agree with the world would have been better off if America was isolated.

Since we are so evil wouldn't this rid you of us?

But I am you, so no. If the US and Britain, France, Germany, Holland, had not colonized, and exploited, third world nations they would have been able to develop, and become self sufficient nations. As it is the west has created a responsibility now to help those nations, but what we call help is really disguised exploitation.

We can't take the land, and resources, of a country, and then pretend we have no responsibility to those nations.

Also western capitalists are not going to give up cheap labour sources overseas. Unless you expect American workers to work for Chinese wages.

edit on 2/8/2013 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I'm not trying to be a jerk,but I thought you read the defination of Isolationism.We wouldn't be selling them to anyone.You are STUCK on a globle economy sceniro,I am not.

I'm saying that AMERICANS won't buy them, cause they won't be able to afford them. Production cost vs profit margin my friend. NO company will reduce the costs of their products when they'll be spending 10 times the amount producing them.

Also, NO company would want to remain solely domestic as profits from Europe and Asia account for a lot of the overall value of any given 21st century market.

Again THE WORLD ECONOMY, and Isolationiist economy would be two entirely different type's of economies.We remove ourself's from the global economy and back our NEW note's with silver and gold,then there would still be plenty of confidence in our new note's for us.If the old dollar plummet's they can deal with it.We won't need the fiat dollar or petrol dollar anymore.

Gold is traded INTERNATIONALLY, you can't have a stand alone, isolationist economy in Gold or Silver.

There also aren't enough private gold holdings the US to prop up the currency anyway. The average American would be bankrupt from day one.

I don't mean to be a jerk but although you ideas are valid on paper, in the real world they do not work. You need more education in economic affairs to understand how all of that would play out.

ETA: As stated above, do you think that Americans will work for the same wages that the Chinese do?

Will any suppliers do that? You haven't factored in transport or any other considerations.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

2.The wealth of the U.S. economy.Although the United States contains only four percent of the world’s population, it accounts for nearly 25 percent of global economic output. The combined effects of being one of the richest countries in the world and one of the largest in terms of population put the U.S. market in a dominant position. Only the European Union now exceeds the U.S. market in size and wealth.The EU achieved unity of currency in 2002. Currently, the Euro has been adopted by sixteen member states of the European Union and is shared by 500 million citizens, making it one of the world’s most important currencies and one of the EU’s greatest achievements. Economic and financial affairs (2012, June 7). In European Commission
reply to post by HelenConway

Ok you are right. You remove 25% of the worlds economic output and the worlds largest consumer from the global economy and nothing will happen

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Yes but then the 75% that is left, will get promotion to 100% [ of the world's economy] when it loses the US. We will be fine. No one and no country is indispensible.

Whereas by your reckoning you want to turn the 25% into 100% -

Do you know who I admire - the Amish. I wish we could be more like them. Seriously

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I'm saying that AMERICANS won't buy them, cause they won't be able to afford them. Production cost vs profit margin my friend. NO company will reduce the costs of their products when they'll be spending 10 times the amount producing them.

We can't compete?,you sir have been filled with propaganda.

Iphone off the shelf $949.99 foregin made
Google nexus Q $300.00 U.S made

If apple couldn't couldn't come back and compete we wouldn't buy one unless we choose to.

Google nexus link made in the U.S.A,also there is info about the exdous of job's from china in the artical.

[url=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/google-nexus-q_n_1644771.html]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/02/google-nexus-q_n_1644771.html[/ur l]

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

The phones are only assembled in the USA, the parts are manufactured overseas and shipped to the fabrication center in the USA.

No, America could not compete with in house manufacturing, because companies WILL not create manufacturing plants for components due to the costs involved.

ETA: Also, the parts involved in that device pale in comparison to those of other smart phones like Iphones and Samsung Galaxie's for example, that's why the cost is that low.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I do agree with you that the Western Nations need to start designing, building and making things again ..
No argument there. [ sorry can't stay US exclusively focused ]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join