It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North America should move toward isolationism.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Because America has choosen not to compete.Does not mean they can't compete or make their own.Would you care to show me some facts or are you going to stick to speculation?Sources please.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Facts and sources for what?

It's just common sense that a company won't be able to sell a product domestically that consumers cannot afford.

It's also common sense that they won't produce products in certain countries when they can cut costs by up to 50% or more by moving manufacturing overseas.

This isn't speculation, this is how the economy works my friend.

By choosing to NOT compete, you are effectively telling any company who starts business in the US that they CANNOT provide their products on the international market, because the cost of exporting them would be too high, thanks to the isolationist import policies.

I'm sorry, but I've turned your points around, one by one and shown you how silly they are when you apply reality to to them. You haven't proposed a single thing that would actually benefit the US, other than cutting foreign aid and military spending in the form of imperialist war machine.

Your entire argument hinges on the idea that companies will WANT to do business this way.

They won't.

~Tenth
edit on 2/8/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/8/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
We're broke.

How about we stop drone attacks on other countries, close some overseas military bases we don't need, cut spending, cut foreign aid we don't have to give, and look at ways to reward U.S. manufacturing and innovation. I don't agree with stopping trade and becoming completely isolated, but we need to work on a lot within our own borders.

I don't have an answer to getting the U.S. back to actually making things and not a consumer/debt based nation, but you'd think that it should be the paramount issue we should be focusing on.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DiabolusFireDragon

The thing is it is not just the US - this is happening to all Western Economies with a few exceptions such as Australia, which is small and buoyed up by China's consumption of their mineral wealth.

The growth , growth , growth model just does not work any more .. it will never work again. It was an economic strategy that evolved in another time.

We need to rethink what we want from an economy, where we want to go and what we want to achieve, as nations.

The problem is that what the 'people' want and what is good for the 'people' is not what the globalist leaders want or chose and they run the show. We let them...

There is a schism between the leaders aims and the desires and aims of the people and never the twain shall meet - this is what needs to change,
edit on 8-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
[mo

Excuse me friend, this is from Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Cook did shed a bit of light into the supply chain, though. Turns out, the CPUs for the iPad and iPhone are built in Austin, Texas, while the glass used on the latter is constructed in Kentucky. He added: "We will do as many of these things as we can do [in America], and you can bet that we'll use our influence to do it." That's a starkly different tone than the one exerted by Jobs just a year (and change) earlier, and while he may very well be pacifying the mobs, there's arguably a fighting chance for manufacturing to rise once more in the nation I call home.

So compontes for Iphones are made in U.S.A. I have been having a problem with my link's if it doesn't come up you can fix it ,other mod's have done it

.Link
edit on 2/8/2013 by tothetenthpower because: --Fixed Link at members rquest--

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I took care of the link for you.

And yes, although certain components may be made in the USA, that doesn't discount the fact that the vital components are fabricated in cheap labor markets that provide better corporate incentives than the US does.

Sure, major companies are trying to move manufacturing back to the US the most they can, but they won't take deep cuts in profit margins to do it.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I repeat as Rudyard Kipling says -

"Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet."

The people and the leaders do not want the same thing ... this is what needs fixing, otherwise you are tinkering around the edges.

so if you want to change the sconomy, just like when you build a house, you need to have the correct foundation.
edit on 8-2-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
We need to rethink what we want from an economy, where we want to go and what we want to achieve, as nations.

Agreed. It's just sad this isn't discussed more by the governing bodies when it should be at the forefront of our focus as nations.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DiabolusFireDragon

I think it is discussed, but it is discussed by the 'leaders' and it is about what they want and what is good for them - not us. Unfortunately.

How can we change this ?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

You have turned nothing around.You have given nothing but speculation that you call "Common Sense".You have insisted on making a arguement based on a global economy.Ignoring the fact that a Isolationist country would remove itself from the global economy.Here are some fact's

We can feed ourself's
We do have a manufacturing base
By 2020 we won't need anyone else's oil.
We are producing our own rare earth's

We can cut our defense cost,and make our people happy and the whole world by bringing our troops home.
The American people are strong and can do anything we put our mind.s to

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

You have not addressed the largest single issue.

How will the general population pay for products manufactured in the US, that cost 10 times more to produce?

Who are these companies that will maintain entirely domestic businesses in manufacturing and sale?

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Never happen. The multinational corporations and central banks that hold no allegiance to any country, much less ours are entrenched in our government and rely on your and every other Americans tax dollars to keep their assets and interests safe through the use of our military consisting of our sons and daughters.

I am all onboard, but it will never happen, until these same entities get another country like China for example, up to par to do the same.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway

That 'aint gonna happen IMO. I question if there will even be the concept of' 'country' in 100 years. Even today they call them' 'nation states' rather then countries.

The world is becoming more global not less. Unless something catastrophic happens which kills the fuel for transport and the communication lines.

That would be a godsend.
If fuel became very expensive, it would make things more expensive locally because they would have to pay workers enough to afford thier products.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Thanks,I hate that coding.

Yea But (I hate when I do that) we can bring it back it's not impossible.
Look I know that Isolation is not going to happen but it could be done and there would have to be some sacrifices.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I'm not disagreeing with your take on manufacturing. Yes it is doable. Much like converting the nation to renewable energies. Quite doable, VERY expensive and time consuming.

But you could not add those import/export policies in conjunction with that. The reason the US needs a strong manufacturing arm is so that it can export it's goods to the rest of the world.

People in other countries WILL pay top dollar for US made products, trust me they will. Considering the products would be made of a higher standard based on the rules and regulations already in place for manufacturing.

You'd have to drag yourself out of the debt hole your in before you could cut yourself out of the world economy.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Where do you get the figure 10 times? A bit of a sensationallized figure don't you think.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

Or we would have to replicate the way of the Amish ?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The United Who?

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I agree with the OP that we should isolate ourselves and rely on our resources and skills for most things. I would say we could do this for around 90% of things. The problem I see and the reason this would be difficult is that this strategy is contrary to the PTB. Also, while most of Europe and the Arab world would be happy to see us go, places like Korea and Japan could be destabilized. I hope this would include us leaving the UN as well as this is just a global front for the power grab orchestrated by the NWO. The biggest threat to our rights in the US comes from the UN, IMHO.

I would rather the US isolate itself rather than include North America, because creating North Amercan block is part of the plan (Google the Amero dollar) of the elite with Asia to follow and eventually all of the blocks being combined into the NWO.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Hmm, that's two straight of your posts I disagree with....first, the infrastructure is NOT in bad shape. The talent/skill to construct is still there, the railways have lots of room to move anything necessary. No one in the world can put up a brand new manufacturing base as fast as the U.S., even now.

Second, yes a tariff would produce counter tariffs the total is still in the U.S.'s favor. Our exports are low, other than foods-after all "we have no infrastructure" so their tariffs don't hurt much. The revenue from our tariffs could be used, in part to retool those who are hurt by export losses.
After all, our trade imbalance is proof there's more to gain from tariffs than lost. Yes, the rest of the world would be piss, but, so what else is new.

Again, I'd exempt Canada and Mexico from a manufacturing import tariff. Partially due to the tradition of the relationship, partially to avoid issues with oil imports from both.

It would have to happen soom, though, that infrastructure won't last much longer.....

Steel is the key, the iron reserves, by my understanding, are in Ontario. Canadian steel production would also contribute. rebuild our steel industry. That's the first step...

The tariffs would be small to start, around 10%. make it known that it goes up in six months, another 10%, and again in six more months and you will get a return in investment monies by those corporations that left in the first place.

A manufacturing import tariff turns our economy around in months....

Inflation would be a factor, but, only manufactured goods would be targetted, food goods exempt. so what if you have to pay more for an I-Pod? A TV, etc.

Last point, an economic isolation only. Not military. Please remember the world wars. The ingredients were, multiple powers, all fairly close in military strength, an isolationist America that wanted nothing to do with everyone elses problems...we got sucked anyways.

Maintain our strength, use it a little more judiciously.

A strong America, economically and militarily, is in the long run, a good thing for this world, IMHO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join