It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raining Spiders in Brazil

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

I am sorry I watched this!!

Now let the nightmares begin.....heebie jeebies 100%

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Ummm, no. Just no. lol I want them dead!

On another issue, this clip actually angers me. That camera can hone in on a tiny spider over thirty feet away and make every detail of that bug clear as day, but UFO clips come out grainy and blurred. WTF?

Love you JiggerJ!! So funny!
Yes UMMM NO is right!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Nice post OP, and this brings up a childhood memory!...I remember in the 80's we had this infestation ( new Hampshire and Maine) of this fuzzy catapillar called the "Gypsy Moth", with spikes on its back. ... They ate everything! Trees, plants, grass, vegetable gardens, and Nothing killed them. Birds wouldn't eat them because of the spikes on their back, and they were very destructive. It was a big problem. They were big, fat , and juicy when squished. And the spikes on their backs hurt if you came in contact with them, like a porcupine.In the morning your car was covered with them , you couldn't walk down your steps without sweeping them off first, they dangled from trees and roofs,and built webs on everything! .... These catapillars didn't seem to have any predators and people were trying to come up with all kinds of ways to kill them. I remember my dad hanging " sticky fly strips" by our front door to catch the catapillars and keep them from dangling in our face. The catapillars were stripping trees bare, and this was happening all over NH and parts of Maine......it was awful!.....BUT...not as bad as when the catapillars natural enemy showed up ( a month later) !!!!....and in came the infestation of the very large fat slimy looking black spiders! ... And oh my god , my worst nightmare became reality! .. I will never forget sitting in a lawn chair by our pool ( i was about 14 yrs) and I looked to my left and there was an odd black spider on the cement . Im afraid of spiders, so i jumped up, and then saw a few more behind it. They were just sitting there looking at me. It was a weird odd moment like they were trying to tell me to get the hell out of there, And I ran! Literally I rembering being freaked out and running barefoot across the lawn and stepping on catapillars......By the time I got in our house,into the dining room and looked out the bay window at the pool, there were hundreds of them swarming the pool area and eating the catapillars!! and these spiders were fast, and would charge at the catapillar, climb on it, and devour it . But imagine seeing that with about a couple 100+ spiders doing that all at once! So I called my parents at work, who didn't believe me, and by the time they got home the spiders had gone . Which really made my parents NOT believe me...But the next morning they came back ,( or never left) in waves again. They were all over NH and Maine, , and birds wouldn't eat the spiders( I don't know why? ) , so..being afraid of spiders, I had the summer from hell that year! ...Thanks Op for drudging up that childhood memory! Lol!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Chill out, guy. Its not that serious.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

OK Spiders if not squished under my boot give me the creeps. No, Not a arachnophobic. I can touch them and stuff, just don't like them is all.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Sometimes strong winds will pick up a bunch of objects, carry them high in the air for awhile, then drop them - making it appear as though it was "raining" objects. So yes, when I clicked on this thread I was expecting to literally see raining spiders.

Nonetheless, that was quite an impressive web!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Not really raining spiders , they're crawling on the giant webs, but why do they appear to be so big?

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I'd like to thank flying fish for telling me about this thread.

This thread shows a fascinating glimpse into the world of spiders. Normally spiders are not so apparent, but they are abundant - a lot more abundant than most people want to realize. You could have 25,000 spiders in a hectare. That's around 10,000 an acre for the metric challenged. I do not have sound, but did watch the entire video. I wonder if the spiders arrived by the wind or might even be getting ready to lay eggs.

Young spiders can drift great distances on the wind by putting out a thread of silk. They've even landed on ships in mid ocean. On the other hand maybe these adults plan to lay eggs on the exposed wires to allow the hatching young to catch a wind and spread. I had the impression that these were larger spiders and as such it seems to me that there are too many large predators in the area. They would starve. I'd think foraging would disperse the spiders as they found food harder to locate where their population was densest.

I once saw a huge web made by many spiders in Texas. It was pretty awesome to see.

Cheers for the great video,

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Lifelong fear of spiders. I think it's something passed down by the women in my family. I can (and have) picked up snakes, relocated rats, and chased off a bear. But let me see something with eight legs and I will immediately ascend to the highest point I can get too. I once climbed my husband. At least he was gracious about it.

Anyway, I'm about twelve years old and in Girl Scout camp with one of my best friends, Sarah. Primitive wood camp, spiders everywhere. I was on squeamish alert the entire time.

E bathrooms were in a separate "house" and consisted of stalls that, when you stood up, came about chest high. They were full of bugs, too, so going to the bathroom always involved a thorough investigation with a three foot stick before exposing myself to the whims of the creatures luring there.

One evening, whilst using the facilities, Sarah calls my name from the next stall over. She's giggling, not a typical sound one hears in the toilet. I glance up to see she's dangling a grand daddy long legs above my head. Just as I start to scream, it's leg came off and the monstrosity fell. In my hair.

I'm told I set a new camp record that day...the first camper to ever get in trouble for streaking through the camp.

I never did get Sarah back.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
To Hell with that! There are 3 things that truly terrify me, and one of them is spiders! Roll up the windows, lock the doors, and try and run as many of them over as possible while you escape!

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
"Oh He-- no!" First thing out of my mouth when I saw the thread title, Too scared to even watch the video cause of how much I jump around spiders. Hate the way they walk and move about; especially the ones that jump.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the invite to the thread! While I kind of dig spiders, my wife is definitely an arachnophobe. So this is right up my alley, but she would be running right along side (maybe in front of...) those of you who are freaked out.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the invite Fish!

Many years ago, on maneuvors with the TA (home guard equivelent) the order was to follow a specific line across open ground, no deviation.

My line took me through a fairly dense, overgrown portion of land. Not too dense to force a walk round, but dense enough to cause a few issues.

Off we set along our lines and regrouped a shgortly after I'd walked through the bush.

Nothing funnier than seeing grown men, dressed in DPM, carrying rifles running like little girls.

The bush I'd walked through must have been full of nesting spiders, being "on task", i hadnt really noticed but when I emerged I was absolutley covered in big, fat bodied yellow and black spiders.

Fortunately for me, I'm a big fan of spiders, think they're amazing creatures, so I dont even bother brushing them off...insist they're my little friends there to help me scare off the big ban (imaginary) enemy.

As any one who has spent any time in the forces will tell you, every one has an earned nickname, from then till now, my army name is Spider.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

Don't worry about the jumping spiders. They are not dangerous. Only 2 poisonous species exist and both are tropical. They don't attack humans.

I like to think of spiders in my house as the clean up crew. They get rid of the things I do not want in my house. I know that the spiders do not want me, especially the jumping ones. They want smaller prey they can jump on. Sometimes I get them to jump on me and I carry them outside.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Poisonous or not I'm still out of the room I'm the same way with bees
. See you said jump on you and carry them outside. I don't even give them the chance to jump on my as I'm still already long gone. Sometimes I miss my dog who used to take care of them for me

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by stereologist
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

Don't worry about the jumping spiders. They are not dangerous. Only 2 poisonous species exist and both are tropical. They don't attack humans.

I like to think of spiders in my house as the clean up crew. They get rid of the things I do not want in my house. I know that the spiders do not want me, especially the jumping ones. They want smaller prey they can jump on. Sometimes I get them to jump on me and I carry them outside.

I'm the same way when it comes to jumping spiders. I like to sorta play with them and watch their thought process as this giant is poking a finger at them. They seem to be quite intelligent.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by idmonster

LOL! It's funny how armed grown men the most feared creatures on earth, run like scared children from a spider

Good stuff man
thanks for posting...

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
aw...hell!

Are you freakin' kidding me????

Brazil was one place I wanted to visit...Now? Forget it!

I'm gonna have freakmares tonight.

Ugh!!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

well i didnt see any spider webs bigger than the ops

posted on Feb, 10 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystiqueAgent
reply to post by stereologist

Poisonous or not I'm still out of the room I'm the same way with bees
. See you said jump on you and carry them outside. I don't even give them the chance to jump on my as I'm still already long gone. Sometimes I miss my dog who used to take care of them for me

i run from wasps ,earwigs and moths (hair standing on end just typing the words)
and im a 6ft 18 stone man

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join