It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i live in the bible belt please explain to me about tithes

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
God doesn't need or want your money, and I doubt god holds any churches in high respect if god exists. You want a relationship with god, then do yourself a favor and stay away from the churches. God will not be found there. Churches might have been helpful back before people were able to read, they outlived their usefulness. That is my opinion.
edit on Thu, 07 Feb 2013 23:19:59 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by reeferman
reply to post by proteus33

...People forget that Jesus paid the Temple Tax because he was jewish…
source

I agree with your thesis, but note the reason why Christ Jesus paid the temple tax in Matthew 17:24-27. I believe He paid it was so as not to offend anyone since Peter had abruptly responded for Him when asked by the tax collectors whether Christ Jesus paid the temple tax. Peter should never have spoken for Him in the first place. Look at His comments to Peter in verses 25-27: “And when he was come into the house, Jesus prevented him, saying, What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers? Peter saith unto him, Of strangers. Jesus saith unto him, Then are the children free. Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.” Thus, in essence He was saying that He shouldn’t have to pay any tax since He is the Son of God Himself. By way of extension even His followers, being children and priests of God, should be exempt as well. The whole “business” of tithing came into popularity within Christendom under the auspice of the Catholic Church with the councils of Tours (567) and Macon (585), which was over five centuries after Christ Jesus lived, died and was resurrected. And this was in direct proportion to the disintegration of the doctrine of the priesthood of the Christian believer and the emergence of the ruling class of bishop-priests.

Originally posted by theillusion

8“Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. “But you ask, ‘How do we rob you?’ “In tithes and offerings. 9You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. TEST ME in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “AND SEE if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit,” says the Lord Almighty. 12“Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land, says the Lord Almighty." -(Mal. 3:8-12)
"You are under a curse". God curses no one! Disobedience places you in that position. "Bring the whole tithe (10%)...THAT THERE MAY BE FOOD IN MY HOUSE"(that the pastor can pay the bills). Then, the Lord says: "TEST ME...and SEE': your car will stop breaking down, your kids will stop getting sick, your money will stop running out. ("I will prevent pests from devouring your crops"). Also, "floodgates will open and blessings will pour that you will not have room enough for it." That's what God wants you to TEST and SEE. Give me 10% and I'll do the rest!

I’m sorry, but I disagree with your interpretation of Malachi 3:8-12. Many churches “cherry-pick” from God’s Word, taking things out of context either reading into or taking out from the Scriptures whatever fits their mistaken worldview. Tithing is just one issue that reflects this. For instance, your interpretation of Malachi 3:8-12 is the general one that pro-tithers put forward. But, note it in context. Firstly, the entire book was written to the priests not the laypeople. “Tithes and offerings” weren't money they consisted of crops and animals for temple sacrifices. The “storehouse” (verse 9) was not a bank and the “meat” (same verse) was not made out of paper or precious metal. So it’s obvious God's “tithes and offerings” weren’t money, which is a creation of man not God (Matthew 22:17-21). And look at what the Almighty promised in return, that is, much needed seasonal rain and an abundant harvest (verses 10-12). Nothing about money multiplying in your pockets or the other “magical” scenarios you’ve described.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying that it’s immoral to give to churches, but from what I’ve read and learned about tithing I reckon it’d be so much better for pastors to raise a family and have a day job like everybody else, and to preach the gospel without pay or salary each week. If you think that’s too hard for one person to do alone, well, then have a rotating roster giving all the adult men in the church an opportunity to give a sermon. That way it’s not one single individual who’s bearing all the responsibility or looked upon as some “font of all knowledge.” And whatever would be collected could be given to the poor and needy in the local church and community. Of course if you don’t have a church that you belong too well then budget accordingly and give as much as you can afford to whatever ministries and/or charities that you think are making a positive difference in your community.

edit on 8-2-2013 by cameraobscura because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid

Originally posted by MrBigDave
Christians today are not commanded to Tithe, but if we do we will reap the benifits.

Very few Christians listen to God's voice.

Very few of today's "Christians" are even going to Heaven.

Another post here explains why.

"But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." Matthew 8:12

“Tell My children, they must be obedient to give tithes and offerings," said the Lord Jesus.

6 Messages to the Church

He said "those who don’t tithe, they are disobedient Christians.""

CHOO THOMAS

I asked the Lord, "Lord, how can this be possible, that people are here for this reason??" The Lord responded, "Yes, because these people thought that tithes and offerings were not important, when my Word shows it as a command." In Malachi 3:8-9 it says "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me. But you say, 'How have we robbed Thee?' In tithes and offerings. You are cursed with curse, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you."

Revelations of Heaven and Hell by 7 Youths

Wow, I'm amazed at the trust you put in your sources.

First of all, Jesus never said to pay tithes. The link you posted is for a vision that some dude had where supposedly Jesus appeared to him.

Secondly, we are not bound by the law of the old testament. That includes tithes! Acts 15 mentions 5 things that are necessary. Tithes was not on the list.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

The link you posted is for a vision that some dude had where supposedly Jesus appeared to him.

Are you by chance related to Thomas?

Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.” Thomas answered and said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.”

First of all, Jesus never said to pay tithes. Secondly, we are not bound by the law of the old testament.

Jesus is the Word by which ALL things were created...

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God" ~ John 1:1

That includes tithes! Acts 15 mentions 5 things that are necessary. Tithes was not on the list.

FYI: Those "supposed" visions actually are in your Bible.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

America is a country which practice free exercise of religious belief. The Church is not the state, they cannot enforce a tithe, or a tax, on you without being unconstitutional.

If you choose to give your money to them, that is your choice, but they cannot legally make you do so.

Remember, despite it being the Bible belt, there are plenty of atheists, Satanists, Wicca, and various other faiths present in the southern States. No Church can make them pay tithes, and no Church can make you.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
i used to live in wi and we would always put some money in colection plate but after i moved down south everyone tells me i got to pay 20 percent of my income as my tithe to church . i have been to churches who have asked to see my tax forms so they could make sure i was giving my 10 percednt tithe. i remember in the old testament they took up 10 percent of the crops to help out a community that the crop was destroyed in but that was abrahams idea i believe . now i do know that the word tithe is tax in latin and i remember reading in the new testament that jesus went into his fathers house and kicking out the tax collectors. most preachers i speak with here in the south don't seem to remember that happening. when ever i get a bonus or come into alittle extra everyone around me remember your tithe i don't currently belong to a chuch i say . they rspond with well you could gve it to my church and we will shout your praises brother bradwell. so what is the deal is it a legit command from god or a bunch of crooked church preachers?

Mostly, it's a misinterpretation. I have heard some Biblical scholars state that this passage about tithing was directed to the priesthood, NOT to every single person. Plus, in the NT, we are told to give as we feel lead by God to give, not some arbitrary amount, like ten percent. I am Southern, and I have NEVER heard anyone claim it was 20%. RUN from that church, seriously. Any that demands tax forms, leave. Giving is all well and good, as we are able, and as God leads us to give. Being TOLD by other church members to give, and how much, isn't Biblical. Many believe it is, because that's what they have been taught, and many that should know better claim it's true, so they can demand money and use the Bible as a defense. If you feel like God wants you to give, then do so. Where YOU feel lead to, which might or might not be a local church. Giving to some local food bank is giving. Donating your time where needed, to help people, is giving. Money in an offering plate is also giving, but be sure you know the place you are giving to. I do currently attend a local church (though I haven't always), that helps the community as well as offering sound Biblical teaching and fellowship. Members can be helped, and donations are made to a local food bank and other places. No bloated salaries, or fancy grounds, just the basics. There, I will give when I can, what I can. Some place I just walk into? Well, there, i would try and listen to what God was telling me, and see whether I felt any money I gave would be used in a way He would appreciate. One person told me I had to give? Not a dime would they get. This is all from someone raised Southern Baptist, so, yeah, familiar with the area. There is a lot of variety even there, and different churches can be VERY different. Those around you telling you to give to a church that you don't even attend should learn to shut up. Instead of demanding your money, they should be talking about salvation. Rotten witness on their part, and you can tell them someone said so, too. If I knew someone like that, at work or wherever, i would tell them. Even if they do mean well, they are off track. What you give is between you and God. Be honest about it, if you discuss it, but don't let others try and control that.

posted on Feb, 12 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Im not going to mince words here-if a church wants proof of your salary to see if you Are giving them 10%-find another church-because most likely you are giving it to That church's leadership,and there it will stay,or the lion's share of it,anyway.
Make helping people a way of life,and if you can afford it,give the amount of money you can afford,directly to the poor and needy-by way of food,clothing,or help put a poor young person through college.Give help where and as its needed,and according to what you can honestly afford.I would Really tell you what i think of a church like that-but i'd propably get banned rather sharply,so i'll refrain.
Yahushua sees your heart and your intentions-and i would hate to be in the shoes of some "Men of God"-or women,for that matter,when their much awaited day of meeting with him comes.

posted on Feb, 14 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
reply to post by Nonchalant

Think the acts of Peter and Simon the sorcerer-you cannot buy a blessing from God.

Its not buying a blessing.

Read your bible. Find just 1 other passage in it where god asks us to test him on any of his promises.

Malachi 3:10 he says - Bring you all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house, and prove me now herewith, said the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join