It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

i live in the bible belt please explain to me about tithes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I doubt the truthfulness in what you are saying. Pastors generally have an ethical responsibility to NOT know what a person gives. The vast majority of churches you will see across the country have one designated member of the finance committee who knows and takes care of the giving records so the giver has a record for tax purposes. ANY church that asks for tax records would not be operating for more than a week after asking for these records. I am not saying you are stretching the truth here, but I have doubts with what you are saying. If you are telling the truth, I would suggest walking away from the churches you are referencing. Nothing about what you are saying is typical of any church across the country. Keep in mind, it is possible to take the name (Character) of Christ in vain. Many pastors do. They are easy to spot and you are referencing signs that you have met a few.

Originally posted by proteus33
i used to live in wi and we would always put some money in colection plate but after i moved down south everyone tells me i got to pay 20 percent of my income as my tithe to church . i have been to churches who have asked to see my tax forms so they could make sure i was giving my 10 percednt tithe. i remember in the old testament they took up 10 percent of the crops to help out a community that the crop was destroyed in but that was abrahams idea i believe . now i do know that the word tithe is tax in latin and i remember reading in the new testament that jesus went into his fathers house and kicking out the tax collectors. most preachers i speak with here in the south don't seem to remember that happening. when ever i get a bonus or come into alittle extra everyone around me remember your tithe i don't currently belong to a chuch i say . they rspond with well you could gve it to my church and we will shout your praises brother bradwell. so what is the deal is it a legit command from god or a bunch of crooked church preachers?

edit on 7-2-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-2-2013 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Tithes is 10% of your income that you donate to your church in order to keep it running and to fund your church's outreach programs (feeding and clothing the needy, helping the poor pay for doctors or utilities, ministering, etc.). If you have gone to a church where they have asked to see proof of your income or who pressure you to give a particular amount RUN THE OTHER WAY!!!

At my church they know these are hard financial times and most can't afford to give even 10%. Our pastor says that giving 10% of your time is just as favorable if not more so than giving 10% of your income. This is the kind of church you need to look for.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
In my church, a tithe is 10% of your income and offering are other things you give over that amount. Tithing is a commandment, therefore considered mandatory. Offerings are voluntary. People know this when they join.
One thing different about our church over others is we are all one church, but have different buildings because we live so far apart. So wherever I would go on a Sunday, I am still a member of the same church, will be familiar with the same hymns and order of service, and be able to continue on in Sunday school from the same curriculum, even the same lesson. It is not as creepy as it sounds......we are all still individuals, and each location will be unique to them and their cultures and lives. But we are all the same church.
And the money? All buildings, anywhere in the world, are paid for before construction. All materials are provided for everything the church does. We have one of the largest (and quietest) humanitarian programs in the world, providing necessities for any disaster, without asking and without expectation. We have a welfare system to provides food and pays bills.....not giving money out, but still providing the necessities. The only thing they ask, if possible, is some time working, either with the welfare program or some sort of service for others. And working on getting a job, including personal development to get employed. There is an employment services department anyone can work with.
God needs the money because the world needs money to get things done.
Our system works because the people make it work, with the Lord's help.
I'm a Mormon.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLaughingGod
Yeah, God really needs that money..

I don't think the church needs it either.

How else would pastors afford 200k Mercedes-Benz?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I highly recommend you, and anyone else, interested in understanding tithing from a biblical and historical perspective to read Russell Earl Kelly's book Should the Church Teach Tithing? IMHO it's the most thorough treatment of the subject I've ever come across as he looks at every verse referring to tithing in the Bible in context, including historical material from Jewish and Christian sources, to consistently outline the Biblical truth about tithing and thus entirely refute all the arguments that have been put forward in favor of tithing (or even triple tithing by some cults!) Suffice to say the ancient Israelites were commanded to donate a tithe of their agricultural produce and reared livestock--not gold, silver or paper money!--to the landless Levites, who, in turn, donated a "tithe of the tithe" to the Aaronic priesthood (Nm 18). Today there is no longer animal or vegetable sacrifices or a Temple in Jerusalem or a Levitical Priesthood and thus there is no need to tithe! Under the New Covenant, however, Christians--who are priests (Heb. 7:19, 25; 10:19-22; 1 Pet. 2:9-10)--are free to give as much or as little as they can afford towards the preaching of the gospel and almsgiving to the poor, widowed, orphaned and strangers (Mk 10:21; Lk 19:5; 2 Cor 9:7). Those that claim they have a divine right to 10%+ of your money are those whom the apostles Paul and Peter warned about who "peddle the Word of God for proft" (2 Cor 2:17; Tit 1:11), think "gain is godliness" (1 Tim. 6:5) and thus distort God's Word "to their own destruction" (2 Pet 3:16).

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

greedy church preachers... you got it.

God has nothing to do with money

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

No no.

10% of what every member earns goes to maintaining the paint
And the occasional Church sponsored dance or BBQ.

According to the median income of US households, it would make an average of 4.5 thousand dollars from each church-going family annually.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Originally tithing was necessary to make sure members of the church society were prepared for disaster. When everyone started to think money was more necessary than food because of commerce that spread farther, things kind of got messed up because the synergy of societies created imballances. Another words, during famine money got worthless.

In the USA and other countries the governments came up and started to provide national preparedness for bad times by making national food stocks and the churches lessened their food reserves except for a few which have large reserves for their members. The government on the other hand started to sub out reserves to big business and gave them tax incentives for holding back some rotating inventory. The problem is that greed took over and reserves are presently too low with the prices of food skyrocketing the businesses let their stocks go low.

With the decreasing need for the churches providing this service, money was rerouted and membership dropped and donations do not go to stocking up anymore. The reduced membership means less money and expenses of the church continue to climb, this means that all the money is burnt up supporting the church and their charities and stocking of food is harder. The food pantry systems we have aren't adequate for a full fledged emergency and the government chose to put the supplies in risky places which were compromised with flooding and natural disasters.

The tithe in that area of 20 percent may because the churches there are stocking food and supplies for future catastrophes. There methods of stocking may not be trustworthy though, they may have put their faith in a problematic venture. I can't say which ones have learned to trust the devils lie but I know that it is occurring. I would think that the churches should check the reliability of their ventures.

If you choose to not participate in this practice in a highly religious area you will be blackballed and life will be hard. Their local society's preferences dictates your success in the area as does it in all areas of society. If you do not agree with the areas tactics it may be advisable to move to an area that does not do that. Birds of a feather flock together is the rule. They will take care of their own before helping others, that is the rule of thumb and this is not a bad practice actually.
edit on 7-2-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

It sounds like forcing people to do something they don;t want to...

Whats the difference between Mafia and them? cash for "Protection"

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
You give 20% to God (to a godly cause). You give 20% to your country (tax). You save 20%. You invest 20%. You spend 20%.

This Formula will keep anyone well-off for life.

Unfortunately your average joe gives 0% to God, 50% to country, saves 0%, invests 0% and spends 50%. That wont and isnt working.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
It's also not how any real Church operates. Faith is free. Those with extra money, support the Church. However, one does wonder, when there are homeless and ministry children in their half way houses and group homes, wondering the streets and learning black market, not to mention tons of things that need to be done, such as taking back democracy and creating small businesses to replace monopolies on grass roots levels, why would anyone commit 10% of their income or even give 100 a month to the Church, since in all the years a certain group has been doing that, the work that needs to be done ISN'T HAPPENING. We need to get together on local levels and flex our flabby people skill and solving problems muscles, solving in win/win's, and not hurting any group, and Become The Government in action. We need to pass the hat to get land donations and set up wonderful eco farms with small beautiful converted trailers into finished up tiny homes, and aquaponics, (food) and tobacco, and have volunteers with homeschoolng,part time, a variety of skills, for the homeless and foster kids.

We need to ensure there are businesses for all and overseas, out of the new successes of a changed attitude and grass roots wealth, send extra to build eco farms for the third world, with off grid energy and more grass roots business ideas and schooling.

The money given in tithes would have made this a world of equality, abundance long ago.

So the Church taking that much money must be a part of the System eh.

Even if you are making 50 000 take home a year and only have 1 child, you have a duty to the world to not give 10% of your income to the Church.

There is no fee to be a Christian. They' would be lucky to get 200 dollar a month from someone making 100 000 year take home, there is other uses for they money, something they haven't done.

But they haven't, get really suspicious. There are many wolves running the Church's.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

like many old testament commands, tithing is to break down the Ego.
[ or as the bible calls the Ego, ' the flesh ']

because the Ego does not wánt to 'give '. [ but only to Take ] .

If you are struggling with your own Ego, this specific command will be a burden to you.

You see ?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by rickymouse

It sounds like forcing people to do something they don;t want to...

Whats the difference between Mafia and them? cash for "Protection"

Every community has their quirky ways. Most aren't bad but the saying that you can't fight city hall is not limited to city hall. Consensus of the area governs the area and it takes a long time or a disaster to change that consensus most times. This is a part of human nature, a flocking of people of a kind. If people don't see things like the others in the locality they should question why they are there. Making a law in the country rarely works, look at the state rebellion to gun control. I am not saying it is right, I am saying I understand the reasoning that people do these things.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by proteus33
i used to live in wi and we would always put some money in colection plate but after i moved down south everyone tells me i got to pay 20 percent of my income as my tithe to church . i have been to churches who have asked to see my tax forms so they could make sure i was giving my 10 percednt tithe. i remember in the old testament they took up 10 percent of the crops to help out a community that the crop was destroyed in but that was abrahams idea i believe . now i do know that the word tithe is tax in latin and i remember reading in the new testament that jesus went into his fathers house and kicking out the tax collectors. most preachers i speak with here in the south don't seem to remember that happening. when ever i get a bonus or come into alittle extra everyone around me remember your tithe i don't currently belong to a chuch i say . they rspond with well you could gve it to my church and we will shout your praises brother bradwell. so what is the deal is it a legit command from god or a bunch of crooked church preachers?

Both.

FIRST TITHE

A tithe is 1/10 of your increase, God commands that 1/10 of everything you produce goes to His ministry to pay for the work God is doing at the time of your increase. Back in ancient Israel most were of an aggrarian trade, so 1/10 of the sheep aquired or birthed that year, goats, cows etc. would be given to the temple for daily sacrifices and on the High Holy Days. Once currency became the standard 1/10 of the money you earned became the tithe, since you didn't have animals to offer before the Eternal.

Notice it is INCREASE EARNED not nessisarily all. If you are unemployed and living off of the governement, you did not earn anything and therefore do not owe 1/10 of your unemployment check to God, if you are a full time student and you work to pay for school, it is not increase and you do not owe 1/10 of it to God. If you are retired and living off of retirement earnings over the course of your life, you do not owe 1/10 to God, because you would have already tithed on that increase earlier in life when it was earned, before savings.

Only if you are employed and earning steady increase for your labor, are you commanded by God to give 1/10 to His ministry, and that is 10% AFTER taxes, not gross income but rather income after taxes (pay to Caesar what is Caesar's).

This first tithe is universally commanded forever as a faithful belief that all things come from God, and giving 1/10 of it back in thankfulness shows an understanding and honor toward the one who created and gives all things to you.

SECOND TITHE

A second 1/10 of your increase is commanded by God for the purpose of keeping the Annual Holy Days command by God forever as a sign of being His people. Those days are the Passover Season (Feast of Unleavened Bread), Pentecost, The Day of Atonment, The Feast of Trumpets, The Feast of Tabernacles and the Last Great Day. 7 days a year God commands His people to gather before Him in a solemn assembly in the place He shall choose. Often times this requires travel, which requires money.

The second tithe is NOT commanded to be given to the church, but rather it is commanded to be set asside by the individual for the purpose of being able to enjoy God's Holy Days in fellowship with God's people. You save a second 1/10 of your increase in a savings account so you can afford the trip to the Feast of Tabernacles (primarily) each year. During that Feast you are in a city of God's choosing for 8 days (7 day Feast of Tabernacles plus the Last Great Day), this cost money to travel for an 8 day trip every year for your family, so God in His wisdom commanded the setting aside of a second 1/10 to accomplish this spiritual rejuvinating trip each year. Like a commanded spiritual vacation (Holiday in British slang).

Second tithe can also be used to travel for Passover or Pentecost in order to meet with a larger group of brethren for these special memorials.

CONCLUSION

-God commanded 1/10 of your increase to be given to His ministry for God's work on Earth.
-God commanded the setting aside of a second 1/10 of your increase for the personal use of the individual in keeping God's annual Holy Days in the manner they were intented to be kept, in joyous celebration.

Any other version or reasoning behind God's commanded tithe is a lie for the purpose of stealing from those who believe the false preacher through fear and mistranslation, it is a truth that selfish mankind has used to enslave and steal from others for thousands of years. But please understand in God's true church, the commandment of tithing is beautiful, Holy and commanded by God forever and ever for a great purpose. All who come to dwell in the Eternal, will come to embrace this command because it comes from God for such a great purpose.

God Bless,

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
reply to post by jeramie

Tithing is not a command, its a Church thing, and its not an obligation.

Tithing is commanded by God forever and throughout your generations, if you do not tithe in the Body of Christ/Church of God/Temple of God, you will be disfollowshipped, for the sin of stealing from God.

All things belong to God, and He commands 10% of what He has blessed you to receive to be given back to Him in thankfulness. This act teaches the mind so much regarding appreciation, thankfulness and an understanding of the source of all things in physical life, this teaching results in the spirit of humility, which is something God can, over time, mold into the image of His mind.

God Bless,

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
You give 20% to God (to a godly cause). You give 20% to your country (tax). You save 20%. You invest 20%. You spend 20%.

This Formula will keep anyone well-off for life.

Unfortunately your average joe gives 0% to God, 50% to country, saves 0%, invests 0% and spends 50%. That wont and isnt working.

This is brilliant! Great post.

God Bles,

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Tithes and offerings are extremely important

This is why so many have had divine encounters that speak about them.

6 Messages to the Church by Pastor Brani Duyon

Now I realized that he was the Angel of God, so I asked him, “what is the good news you want to tell me?” He replied, “tonight you will go to Heaven”.

Jesus had messages for me to bring to Earth. He wanted me to tell these messages to the children of God on Earth. “These messages are very important for them to know”, said Jesus. I was told that I would be very busy getting out these messages. Jesus also wanted me to share my Heavenly experiences to all the children of God so they will be blessed and renew their strength to follow Him.

Jesus spoke to me, “when you go back to earth tell all My children these messages” (There were SIX MESSAGES which Jesus had given to me):

FIRST MESSAGE:
“Tell My children, they must believe in Me with all their heart, their strength, and their mind. Those who are worried and doubtful will not get in here,” said the Lord Jesus.

SECOND MESSAGE:
“Tell My Children, they must be faithful to come to the Church service, because that is the time when I will shine over their faces and they will look for My face. I will be very pleased to see My children worshipping at Church,” said the Lord Jesus

THIRD MESSAGE:
“Tell My Children, they must be faithful to pray, do My will, and live with My words,” said the Lord Jesus

FOURTH MESSAGE:
“Tell My children, they must be obedient to give tithes and offerings," said the Lord Jesus.

6 Messages to the Church

"Very first time He only showed me His throne room. Then after that we came down from heaven and the, we were sitting on the sand on earthly beach. And then He began to talk. He said, "We just went to Kingdom of Heaven. The only one who will come there are obedient and pure hearted", and He said "Preaching gospel is very important" and He waited for awhile, and He said "those who don’t tithe, they are disobedient Christians." That was the last word He said the first trip."

CHOO THOMAS

We continued walking, seeing thousands and thousands of people. There were young people, adults and elderly people suffering in torment. We arrived in a place that looked like a big swimming pool of fire, with thousands of men and women inside of it.

Each of them had metal plate on their chest that read: "I am here for not giving tithes and offerings" When I read that, I asked the Lord, "Lord, how can this be possible, that people are here for this reason??" The Lord responded, "Yes, because these people thought that tithes and offerings were not important, when my Word shows it as a command." In Malachi 3:8-9 it says "Will a man rob God? Yet you are robbing Me. But you say, 'How have we robbed Thee?' In tithes and offerings. You are cursed with curse, for you are robbing Me, the whole nation of you."

The Lord told me that when His people withhold their tithes, it hinders the work of the Lord, and then the Gospel is not preached. People in this place suffered a thousand times worse than others, because they knew the Word of the Lord and disobeyed.

Revelations of Heaven and Hell by 7 Youths

This is a very important subject, one that has been showing up in many Divine Revelations.

Here is why I believe Tithing is absolutely necessary and a commandment today.

1. Here are 4 testimonies of people who met Jesus face to face. Hear what Jesus told them about tithing. (Search for the word "Tithe" in these testimonies)

Tithe Testimonies

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

In my conversations with God, not once did he require me to pay him for his services. The church, on the other hand, seems to always require $. I have found a few churches that don't ask, they just pass the plate and are happy to get what they get. In those places, I feel happy to give them as much as I can afford. But the whole 10% and we must see your tax return garbage made me stop going to "the church". The money doesn't go to God, it goes to the building, and the people who maintain it. If you enjoy the church and the building, then you should help maintain it, but always understand that you are not doing it for God, you are doing it for fellowship. God only needs your love. Nothing else.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
The god i believe in isnt short of cash.

That should say enough in one line.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Back in the mists of antiquity the tithe was given to God as thanks for a good harvest. You were to take ten percent of your field's yield or one of your best animal offspring offered directly to God as a burnt sacrifice. As time went by the priests became jealous of God getting the best and they devised a plan whereby the tithe was diverted from God and given to the priests of the temple. This practice persists to this day as preachers have the people brain washed. NO MAN HAS THE RIGHT TO STAND BETWEEN YOU AND YOUR CREATOR. Each and every one of you has the right to talk to God. You do not require a middle man to do that for you. God is everywhere!! You do not have to seek him in a CHURCH OF MAN. THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE IS GOD'S CHURCH. There is no more of God's presence in a church than there is in a forest or a meadow or a stream. Seek God wherever you are and there you will find him. He is not hiding in the recesses of some church. He is there with you now wherever you may be.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join