It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Slightly Modified System For Alerting Staff?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Presently, any member can alert staff about an OP, or a post, by clicking on the ALERT link in the top left corner of the page right under the flag count. Or, by clicking ALERT from the drop down under each members avatar.

I would like to propose a modification to that system for staff to consider...

In the majority of cases, I've found that text is not necessary. Once a moderator goes to the OP or post in question, it will be immediately clear why it has been reported. Staff can make their own determination from there. What I propose is a link(red flag icon?) inside each individual OP and post, maybe in the upper right corner next to reply, that needs only a click to alert the staff. No text. Just a url sent to staff for a determination. Each time that post is alerted, it moves up one in the queue.

In those cases where text is needed, the ALERT link in the drop down could be left intact.

What are the caveats with a modification such as this?
Anyone have a better idea, or a better way to implement it?
Anyone on staff have an opinion? SO? Springer? Mods?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
NM - wrong thread.

edit on 2/6/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

You mean it moves up only on MODs screen not regular members/general screen right? because that would be annoying.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

You mean it moves up only on MODs screen not regular members/general screen right? because that would be annoying.

Correct. It would move up in their queue. Although it could just have the number of times its been reported too. Either way, we wouldn't see a thing, only they would.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Currently, when you alert a post, you don't HAVE to add text. Just click the alert choice from the drop down menu and then hit submit. And I wouldn't want the text option to be omitted... Because if you WANT to say something, like, "Check out all of this posters activity in this thread, too", you can.

I guess I'm not sure what you see as the problem with the current system?
edit on 2/6/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I have an idea!

Maybe we should not flag posts and INSTEAD let the mods do their job unassisted?

I think the flagging system is misused as it is. I don't want to see it made easier.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I am sure the moderators are extremely busy and adding a text, even if only to illustrate what could be painfully obvious, could save them time and effort in the long run, possibly.

Also, as the above poster said, adding text will nearly ensure that the warning use is not being misused. By having to add text you are having to justify why you pulled a red flag on the post. This in the end can also make it easier for moderators to determine who genuinely found a post needing moderator alert, versus someone just abusing the alert system.

Also, nice signature OP

edit on 2/6/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/6/2013 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
All good points to be considered. Thanks for the replies and thoughts. This is why I wanted to open it for discussion. To see if I had a valid idea, or if I could learn something I didn't know, or hadn't thought of.

Benevolent Heretic
I wouldn't want to do away with the ability to add text when needed either...

In those cases where text is needed, the ALERT link in the drop down could be left intact.

I don't really see a problem with the current system. My thoughts were more along the lines of streamlining.

seabag
There is something to be said for your thoughts and points.

However, the ALERT link is there to assist the staff because they aren't omnipotent. Yet anyway. Maybe after the ascension.

indigothefish
Good additional points. And thanks.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I got a better idea. Stop snitchin so the mods can chill out between removing posts and banning people. It is not necessary to snitch on people you know that right?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Good lord don't stop adding text.

Please for the love of all thing wonderful on ATS, please please please keep us updated.

Here's the problem.

Context.

You alert a post, I go in and I remove it. Now if you'd stated that this was an ongoing issue and there are multiple posts from multiple users and it needs a look, then I can do my job better.

For your general, you're being an ass post, sure, no text required, we have a good grasp of what is and what isn't a T&C violation.

But for things like potential Hoaxes, or troublemakers, formatting, source etc.. these I would greatly appreciate an explanation

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I think you just put the whole idea in a nutshell, tenth. It was just a thought. I've appreciated everyone's input into the idea. It has been educational.

edit on 2/6/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Without assistance there is no way the mods would be able to moderate effectively. They are few in number and even if they were paid and all worked 24/7 I don't believe it would be possible to keep up. They would have to be able to monitor every single new post, remember every single post, and every member and all their interactions with others.

You don't need to write a novel. Eventually the zombies behind the scenes will read your alert, make a decision and act one way or the other. If you care enough to hit the alert button, you should care enough to write a sentence or two.

I hate to admit this or boost the egos of our overlords, but the mods here are awesome. If you have a problem they will answer you. In my experience they are very fair. Except for JohnnyAnonymous. He has yet to fulfill my request for an awesome voicemail greeting.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I think this is a good idea. It would be easier to alert for a specific post.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Pfft, we the staff only know that he lives somewhere on this planet....maybe.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

They still haven't had the 'talk' with you?!

Man, you are going to surprised.

Like anybody who actually existed would spell their name johnny...

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I think all of the Mods should have their personal cell or home number on their profile so we can contact them without hesitation for any problem.. real or imagined. ...

Please dont ban me now...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
I think all of the Mods should have their personal cell or home number on their profile so we can contact them without hesitation for any problem.. real or imagined. ...

I can see it now... Tenth, boy am I glad I got hold of you! Bernard just posted another intro thread, Phage was wrong, and Beezzer ate all the cookies again. What are you going to do about it?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

We have a sophisticated group of Borg who pose as us to answer the phones.

Well, other than any new mods we con into taking the post for a few weeks

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

Originally posted by Advantage

I can see it now... Tenth, boy am I glad I got hold of you! Bernard just posted another intro thread, Phage was wrong, and Beezzer ate all the cookies again. What are you going to do about it?

HEHE!

10TH just mentioned temp mods for a few weeks.

Where I come from those are called "sacrificial lambs"...

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Well I'll be damned...

That's what those "alert" thingys are for.

If for no other reason, thanks for the education.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join