It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Church opens in London

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I am currently listening to the excellent Jeremy Vine show and the topic of discussion is the godless congregation or 'atheist church' a comedian and atheist Sanderson Ford has opened in London.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Instead of readings from an ancient and vastly incorrect very old book they have guest speakers such as professors and they don't sing hymns but listen to music such as Queen.

They discuss the truth of evolution and the universe rather than the joke that is creationism. This is a congregation I would certainly be a part of if a 'church' opened local to myself.

This could be the start of something that atheism has generally missed and that is a sense of community. As incorrect as religious beliefs are they do have communities and atheism looks to be gaining that also. The only difference with atheism is we will not congregate and plan to destroy non atheists as religious groups have historically done.

This is fantastic for 25% of the British population who do not believe in any god. Hopefully this is a nail in the coffin of religion and a nudge into the future of mankind.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Athiest Church - Oxymoron? lool

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by GafferUK1981

Atheist...church?

Sounds a bit of an oxymoron.

edit:

Already noticed

edit on 6-2-2013 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I do wish they wouldn't call it a "church". Maybe create their own word or use "organization", "school" or "meeting" instead... But I think it's a fine idea. People of like minds naturally want to meet with each other and discuss their thoughts and beliefs. I think it might be interesting to go a couple times, but I probably wouldn't do it often. I just don't feel the need. But who knows? I might love it.
That's a lot more than I could have ever said about church.

Hopefully, as people see that there's another choice - another way of thinking - they will reject religion.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
That certainly opened a can of worms. All the arguing of whether it was a religion or not just flew out the window. Prepare to see your rights trampled on Atheists.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I should open one here.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

Yes the phrase 'atheist church' isn't used by the congregation, it originated in the media and seems to have stuck.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Originally posted by jimmiec
All the arguing of whether it was a religion or not just flew out the window.

If atheism is a religion, then so are a LOT of beliefs. My religion is dogs.
When I go to the AKC meeting, I will be sure to mention that jimmiec says we are a religion, because we share a belief.

Prepare to see your rights trampled on Atheists.

I think you left out a word or a comma or something, maybe?
Are you saying atheists' rights will be trampled on?
Or that atheists will trample on someone else's rights?
edit on 2/6/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

It would attract me based on the fact that you will actually learn something, you can't say that about a religious congregation.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by GafferUK1981

Thanks for pointing that out.
I should have known the conservative media would add "church" in there to poke and agitate the people. (I SHOULD have read the article - shame on me!!!) So, it's NOT a church at all and also not a religion. But some will call it that if they cannot wrap their heads around the truth.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I think it's great that they have actual scientists as speakers. There are so many wonders in this universe that are actual real life mysteries. You don't even have to go as far as bringing a metaphysical aspect. The quantum world, the variety of life forms on earth, the genome etc. Just gaze at any one pic from Hubble and just sit in amazement that that stuff actually exists right out there!

Although it was mentioned that it may only appeal to a middle class cultural elite, i think there's ways to appeal to more people. There are so many aspects to life that can be celebrated. There's information that can be spread out there to dispel common myths that keep people living in ignorance. If they have good speakers who can reach the scientifically illiterate then it would be a huge service to mankind. There's the communal aspect with people actually connecting with others and having a good time not to mention the community works they plan on doing.

I really think it's an interesting idea and I'd like to see where they go with it.

edit on 2/6/2013 by homeskillet because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
That gave me an idea. I am going to open a bar for teetotalers.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
What the heck?? why would they call it church? they should name it Atheist Center for Discussion or something...

I hate the way some Atheist organization is acting.

This just makes it easier for religious group to attack them and compare them to a religious dogma.

Should we make a church called "Church Of NoFairyExist" ?

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
"No happiness in their own lives So they act out all their jealousy"

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Originally posted by luciddream
What the heck?? why would they call it church?

THEY don't.
The "guardian" called it that. I didn't read the article either.
Shame on both of us.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

they don't. the author of the article only does.

Sunday Assembly

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I'm gonna predict that in the future when Atheism becomes dominant(it will), there is going to two groups, one that will try to connect religious indoctrination to one, and other would be just plain "unbelievers".

Its clear some just can't live without a supreme being monitoring, helping, punishing them.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

reply to post by homeskillet

*puts head down in shame*.....

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I would go, just for some free science lectures. Knowledge is the most valuable thing we currently have as a species. It makes sense to share it with others in that type of environment. At least it's rooted in reality, and not some magical pipe dream.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Sounds like something you might read in the Sport.

I'm sure most atheists will appreciate the comic irony - but wouldn't seriously entertain the idea.

But this is Londonistan.....so it's not hard to see why some might want to seek refuge in a 'religious' organisation, with recognised rights, in the face of increasing fanatical intolerance.

Just glad I don't live there.....

That gave me an idea. I am going to open a bar for teetotalers.

Not as daft as it sounds.

It's always puzzled me why you can't go in a pub and just get a coffee or cup of tea.

It's like they're punishing you for not indulging.

"Well, let me see.....there's orange juice....."

People end up getting a beer because they don't like the alternatives.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join