It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist Church opens in London

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serdgiam
Do atheists really want to go down the same route?
If the route overcomes injustice then yes.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand
reply to post by Wonders

Perhaps 'disagreement' was too mild a term. The safety I see in various places of worship is the community spirit of 'mostly' likeminded folk, in an environment free from ridicule or abuse by others who do not share such beliefs.
An atheist meeting place would have a similar attraction for me with rational debate not being ruined by unsubstantiated scripture 'evidence' or silly damnation type statements about the horrors of not believing in any gods. A friendly environment where one would not feel any need to hide such lack of belief.

I wish you well and reciprocate the stay safe sentiments, but as I don't believe in any demons or other mystical bad guys, I'm quite sure I have much less to look out for in life.

So strange, IMO church buildings are no more safe than coffee shops.
I think only cowards take special measures to avoid ridicule or abuse by others who do not share such beliefs.
Seriously, do some research.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonders
So strange, IMO church buildings are no more safe than coffee shops.
Oh, that is unfortunate to hear, I assumed fellow worshippers looked after each other a bit more than the average Starbucks congregation.

I think only cowards take special measures to avoid ridicule or abuse by others who do not share such beliefs.
Life is a tactical game and the religiously zealous can be extremely troublesome.

Seriously, do some research.
About what? Share a link or two if you're concerned about it, knowledge is power and all that, help the masses with your life changing information

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou
Athiest Church - Oxymoron? lool

At first glance it may seem so, but in preparation for opening my new business I have done extensive research that leads me to believe it is time for just such a church.

It appears atheists are "under-served" by most mainstream religions and one that focuses on those who simply do not believe could really corner the market on that segment of the population. The trick really is to simply look for those who are under-served or even totally ignored and serve them, that is why I am so confident that my new chain of tanning salons for albinos will be an unbridled success.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by KaiserSoze
It appears atheists are "under-served" by most mainstream religions and one that focuses on those who simply do not believe could really corner the market on that segment of the population.
The Sunday Assembly promote themselves as 'a godless congregation that meets on the first Sunday of every month to hear great talks, sing songs and generally celebrate life.' Such an assembly is not a religion, no matter how much you may wish it to be perceived as so.

The trick really is to simply look for those who are under-served or even totally ignored and serve them, that is why I am so confident that my new chain of tanning salons for albinos will be an unbridled success.
A mildly amusing attempt at humour, it is however unlikely that your business model will achieve the same level of initial success that the atheist assembly is presently enjoying.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
way yo goo!! i hope that one open in my country as well!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by User961

I see you're from the UAE so imagine there needs to be big changes in the oppressive blasphemy laws before any atheists would risk organising a similar assembly. I hope things improve for you and all people in such circumstances around the world.
Oh, and welcome to ATS

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Atheist Church opens in London

This just in, a new TV station is announced, for the blind and deaf...enjoy.

Having the absence of belief....is not a belief...

I can identify with atheism....I don't think it within our current capacity to understand whatever set the Universe and life into motion...but I think we are crawling toward the answers...but can't rule out some kind of grand design...

While I agree that current religions are nothing more than collections of ideas and stories meant to control the populace and provide answers...it doesn't mean there can't be some kind of fundamental truth behind the idea...

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

seriously, as a moderator, you're better than that. 7 pages in? The author of the article is the one calling it a church, not the actual website. This is a gathering of like minded people.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by homeskillet

I agree, it is a gathering to celebrate life, enjoy good talks and music in the company of people who do not believe in gods, free from the rantings of religious zealots.
I am currently in communication with the assembly with a view to help start something in my area. Many people from around the UK & world have contacted them with similar requests and the organisers are linking folk up through their website to make this grow into something much bigger than a single event in London.

32% of my home UK nation (Wales) declared no religion in the 2011 census, a quarter stated the same in England. Whether the religious types like it or not, there is certainly a market for people to hook up socially under a non-god fearing banner and embrace the good bits of life without fairy tales - declining religious church attendances say it all really

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join