It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ALERT- Big quake- Santa Cruz- 8.0!! Alert Northern Australia Coast- Beware Tsunami

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Excellent that the tsunami warning was cancelled!

But let me be clear- the title of this thread is not to warn Australia of this quake, it is to warn them of a potentially much bigger one- and the ensuing tsunami from that. If a small tsunami was generated- then so can a big one be...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The 8.0 was at a depth of 28.7 kilometers. There have been about 15 aftershocks all greater than 5.0 at depths as shallow as 9.9 kilometers and as deep as 38 kilometers. The 8.0 was not the first earthquake. There were earthquakes at this location yesterday, I believe in the 6.0 range. We are once again witnessing foreshock activity. The 3-11-11 9.0 in Japan was preceded by an 8.0.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

From CNN

(CNN) -- An 8.0-magnitude earthquake struck off the Solomon Islands in the South Pacific on Wednesday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, triggering a tsunami.
A tsunami warning was in effect for the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, New Caledonia, Kosrae, Fiji, Kiribati, and Wallis and Futuna, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
A tsunami watch was in effect for more places: Marshall Islands, Howland and Baker, Pohnpei, Tokelau, Samoa, Kermadec Islands, New Zealand, American Samoa, Tonga, Australia, Niue, Cook Islands, Indonesia, Wake Island, Chuuk, Jarvis Island, Guam, Northern Marianas, Palmyra Island, Yap, Johnston Island, Minamitorishima, Pelau, Midway Island, French Polynesia, Hawaii, the Philippines and Japan.
"Sea level readings indicate a tsunami was generated. It may have been destructive along coasts near the earthquake epicenter and could also be a threat to more distant coasts. Authorities should take appropriate action in response to this possibility," the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said in a bulletin.
Official: No deaths so far after quake Tsunami generated after 8.0 quake
The center of the quake was located some 360 miles east-southeast of Honiara, the capital of the Solomon Islands, the USGS said. It was reported to be 3.6 miles deep.
Brian Shiro, a geophysicist at the center, described the tsunami as "significant." He said it was 1 meter high.
The event seems to be localized to the region, Shiro said, and authorities are waiting to see whether they want to expand the alert.
The New Caledonia High Commission in the capital of Noumea ordered the immediate evacuation of coastal residents on the eastern coast of New Caledonia and the Loyalty Islands.
The main quake was preceded by a 6.3-magnitude quake in the region and was followed by several others, the largest of which had a magnitude of 6.6, the USGS said.
There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
As soon as I heard the magnitude, I opened Google Earth to check the location in relation to the Tongo volcanic eruption a couple of days ago,and whaddya know, but GE already has the mag 8 and a smaller one on the map! So I thought I would let everyone know that someone is interfacing with GE in real time.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Adaluncatif

Originally posted by Adaluncatif
The 8.0 was at a depth of 28.7 kilometers. There have been about 15 aftershocks all greater than 5.0 at depths as shallow as 9.9 kilometers and as deep as 38 kilometers. The 8.0 was not the first earthquake. There were earthquakes at this location yesterday, I believe in the 6.0 range. We are once again witnessing foreshock activity. The 3-11-11 9.0 in Japan was preceded by an 8.0.

Please elaborate further, what are you insisting here?

That is this some kind of a build-up to something much bigger

edit on 5-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

I think he's saying is that coastal people in that region which could be effected might want to seek out higher ground just to be on the safe side.. for the time being, like a day or two.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

I think he's saying is that coastal people in that region which could be effected might want to seek out higher ground just to be on the safe side.. for the time being, like a day or two.

Thanks NewAgeMan, much more clear and precise...

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Just curious, but do you just search news outlets 24/7 trying to break each ATS story?

Or.... Is TrueAmerican more than 1 person????

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Important update I just posted to the other thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nope, this may not be over at all.

EDIT: and lol, no I am not more than one person. Cause anyone else ever touched my rig, and I'd kill em. Dead. Like cold, dead, HANDS.
edit on Tue Feb 5th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Just curious, but do you just search news outlets 24/7 trying to break each ATS story?

Or.... Is TrueAmerican more than 1 person????

Come on man....hes putting out quality threads.

Let the mods figure out if he's more than 1 person.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

You act like I'm attacking him, it was a obvious joke (hence the laughing in the post).....I guess you missed it

edit on 5-2-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   
latest from nz civil defence

stay away from beaches but no real damage expected

www.civildefence.govt.nz...$file/tsunami_threat_levels.pdf

xploder

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
TV here in Japan is broadcasting an 50 cm tsunami alert right now.

Estimated time to reach Ogaswara is 04:30 (Japan time)
edit on 5-2-2013 by hououinkyouma because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hououinkyouma
TV here in Japan is broadcasting an 50 cm tsunami alert right now.

Estimated time to reach Ogaswara is 04:30 (Japan time)

So that's a foot and a half tsunami, would that do any damage?

The below report states that a village was wiped away from the Tsunami...

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 5-2-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

So that's a foot and a half tsunami, would that do any damage?

reply to post by jhn7537

Not really, maybe some docks or something like that. The biggest alert is to south islands like Ogasawara and Okinawa, they can face something.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
On Google Earth they show over 30 Quakes in that area in the past hour or so. Pretty interesting to be able to view them on the map. Look at the circular pattern the quakes have appeared in. Most of them (except 2 it looks like) are located W and SW of the Santa Cruz Islands.

Scary. I really hope everyone is OK --it's such a wide area if a tsunami develops.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Originally posted by Hefficide
This makes me literally feel sick. Santa Cruz is where I grew up, for all intents and purposes. I lived about thirty miles distant, in Fremont - but spent every moment I could in Santa Cruz.

I pray that the people are OK. The boardwalk can be rebuilt and the beaches will always be beaches, regardless. But the people in that area are what make it so magical.

~Heff

ETA - now that I follow the links I see it's a totally different Santa Cruz. Still, same prayers apply.
edit on 2/5/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

LoL.. not gonna lie... i almost thought the same thing for a sec when i saw the title. btw, i'm also from Fremont.. Washington highschool graduate... guess its a small world here on ATS

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
did the 6.3 just now get posted then another 5.4

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I've been watching quakes around the 6.2 mile depth and I believe there's a significant bell effect at this depth. When quakes at distant locations hit at that depth around the same time as major quakes, there seem to be some sort of feedback reverberation like cymatics. When the 8.0 hit, the preceding 6.3 at Solomon Islands was 6.2 miles deep as well as have been a majority of major aftershocks in the Santa Cruz Islands. The lighter quakes around 6.2 miles in this case occurred 2mi N of Borrega Springs California...close to LA. Just an observation, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

At the link below, the deepest hole on earth at the Russian Kola Peninsula surprised researchers when it revealed the highest seismic velocity zone was below 6 miles below a fractured layer of metamorphic rock infused with water! They expected the velocity zone to be much shallower and were puzzled by the water.

www.universetoday.com...

Perhaps this water infused level around 6 miles down is like the water under the glaciers, greasing the tracks....
edit on 6-2-2013 by cynthius because: link didn't transfer

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I don't think the loud big boom was from that.
So much for that explanation.

Hope everyone is okay over there.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join