It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Danger Malware Ahead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I usually have a tab open with the new topics page refreshing in the background and today a couple of times Google Chrome blocked the page from loading with this message:

I think this is being caused by certain ads but I'm not sure. It seems like the ad service that ATS uses is very aggressive, poorly executed and not concerned with the user's experience at all. Sometimes videos from ads randomly play over and over, sometimes the service slows the loading of the page(use something like fiddler to check what pieces of the page are making the page take a long time to load) and now this.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I stopped using my phone to visit ATS due to a rather intrusive ad that cannot be disposed of.

I'm really trying hard not to respect the no ad blocker rule, but damn.........

Can I just donate and get a pass to use noscript?

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
1. Couple of threads on ATS about this
2. Its not related to ATS as people are having issues with it on multiple different web sites
- it took me about 10 seconds on Google to get to this article, www.insidebayarea.com...
3. Its a problem with chrome

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Glad I'm not alone,posted this ,this morning.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Interesting...thanks for that. I wouldn't have thought to search google for this because I've been browsing the web all day and only had it happen on ATS. Thanks for the update.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Not using chrome.

Cool avatar btw.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Google Chrome is dog $hit. Not because of its capabilities, but because it's owned by Google

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Why are you using google chrome in the first place?

When someone suggested I use google chrome i rolled my eyes.

Anything with google is garbage,they are like facebook.
A big corp who doesn't have your interests in mind.
You do realize they are control freaks right?

In Obama's last state of the union address,the fact he mentioned facebook and google made me cringe....I get where he is going and will not partake in the idiocy.
If Obama is the source of info....I will take it very lightly and with a mountain of salt.

After microsoft took over skype...I don't even want to bother with that anymore.

edit on 4-2-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I use many different browsers to test my development work and I've grown to like Chrome the most. It has a quick response time and I just like it in general. I don't judge a product/service based on the company that created it. I judge it based on it's quality. Different strokes for different folks.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

Hi just a quick post to say that my B.T/MacAfee blocks a lot of adds from our site too. I use different browsers as do other posters and sometimes use tor for emails that I'd like to be kept secure from intrusive eyes. I'm not paranoid, I do have a few issues with my mental health these days but prefer to keep my computer's, which I use for writing as secure as I can. Some of the adds are a bit too in our faces and a bit sensitive or aimed at the younger members but it will not stop me from using the site to read the topics I like & sometimes contribute where I can.

I'll keep it A.T.S for life as well as a few other sites
A.T.S is by far my favourite site though, I lurked for years and then opened an account...had the laptop stolen so had to make a new account when I replaced my stolen laptop. I've never clicked on any of the adds so I do not know if there is any danger in any of them.

To be honest I think that the staff do need to have a meeting with the moderators in charge of the advertising & get it sorted as soon as possible though.

Sorry staff you's must have a hard enough time as it is I assume. No insult's intended, I'm just voicing my opinion in a polite, respectful, hopefully assertive way.

Peace, good luck and happy vibes to all.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   
A very friendly reminder: The ATS Terms and Conditions clearly state:

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

Further discussion of such will result in much sterner measures than off topic posts.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Glad I'm not alone,posted this ,this morning.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join