It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apples Planned Obsolescence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Before I get started here is the definition of Planned Obsolescence:

Planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence[1] in industrial design is a policy of planning or designing a product with a limited useful life, so it will become obsolete, that is, unfashionable or no longer functional after a certain period of time.[1] Planned obsolescence has potential benefits for a producer because to obtain continuing use of the product the consumer is under pressure to purchase again, whether from the same manufacturer (a replacement part or a newer model), or from a competitor which might also rely on planned obsolescence.[1]

For an industry, planned obsolescence stimulates demand by encouraging purchasers to buy sooner if they still want a functioning product. Built-in obsolescence is used in many different products. There is, however, the potential backlash of consumers who learn that the manufacturer invested money to make the product obsolete faster; such consumers might turn to a producer (if any exists) that offers a more durable alternative.
Estimates of planned obsolescence can influence a company's decisions about product engineering. Therefore, the company can use the least expensive components that satisfy product lifetime projections. Such decisions are part of a broader discipline known as value engineering.

Wiki

So I am an owner of an iPad 1, I purchased it probably 6 months after it came out. I purchased the 64GM 3G ipad it it cost about $1000 with insurance.

Now since Apple has rolled out their new ios6 (Around June 2012), the iPad1 is no longer being supported. In return applications that I have paid money for are no longer being supported and ultimately they stop working like several application have so far.

SO basically Apple is now planning when they make their devices obsolete so those pesky non-apple sheeple will start purchasing their products a little quicker. Now here comes the kicker, the apple sheeple will defend apple by stating the iPad1 cannot handle the graphics the ios6 displays. In my opinion, even if it cant handle all the aspects, what is so wrong with having a light update so the users can continue using the apps they paid for.

SO if you own an Apple product, even if there is nothing wrong they will force you to buy a new one, since it is their business model. I have owned my xbox for 6 years and Microsoft still updates it. My home screen looks like windows 8, they have updated the look/feel about once a year. I can now use the internet, netflix, hulu, hbo, etc on my XBOX. All on the same hardware!! But to Apple, that is not possible.

-On a side note, in the forum at Apple they either are deleting my posts or since I keep posting it they are now editing it and taking out words that I am using. Instead of legal, they like Technical. Also I keep using the words "Class Action Lawsuit" they don't like that either. They just stopped me from being able to edit my posts as well. I am not even being an **s!

edit on 2/3/2013 by Djayed because: Added in something

edit on 2/3/2013 by Djayed because: had misinformation in the post...want to keep it all true!

edit on 2/3/2013 by Djayed because: I am a math guy....

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Apple product's are overrated in my honest opinion.

Obsolescence seems to be a reality.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by inj3ct0r

I agree the only reason I purchased it was the other manufactures were taking too long. I own a dell tablet as well and I love it, and it still gets updates.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Everything produced nowadays is based on the same principle, some have longer life spans then others but in the end al is the same. Cars, phone's, computers, furniture, household appliances you name it, its all the same, so picking out one does not make a difference. And i'm not defending apple, they are one of the best to see your statement.

But in a world were nothing is free, everything is build to go broke, so we can buy new useless stuff time after time after time. This is life how its being teached the world over, that we are nothing more then consumer slaves living to buy useless crap for a set time. Nothing is forever.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I avoid Apple like the plague.
Their products are cute but way over priced.
Like has been mentioned they want you to upgrade. Apple is a world of itself. If you want to live in their world you have to abide by their rules.

Or you can plod along with MS and Android. They may not be first but you are not abandoned next year.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
They may not be first but you are not abandoned next year.

Well said my friend!!! Couldn't have said it better!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I despise Apple. I just came across the word despise and have been using it a lot recently, btw.

Any type of tech that limits or inhibits usage for profit is just plain terrible. I refused Apple products a long time ago and have never looked back.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

I have the old iPod Touch (and later models) and none of them support iOS6. Just wanted to point that out. But I agree with you. The problem I see is that you spend so much money on applications and only a short while later, you can no longer use them seeing that the iPad/iPod you bought can no longer "handle" them after the updates.

I haven't used my old iPod Touch in ages, my first gen iPad was stolen a couple of months ago. I wish the developers would allow you to download older versions of their apps so you can still use the version you bought for your iDevice still functioned as it did the day you downloaded it.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
reply to post by Djayed

I have the old iPod Touch (and later models) and none of them support iOS6. Just wanted to point that out. But I agree with you. The problem I see is that you spend so much money on applications and only a short while later, you can no longer use them seeing that the iPad/iPod you bought can no longer "handle" them after the updates.

You are correct only 4th gen supports ios6. I should have verified it, it was something someone said in the Apple forums!

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Planned Obsolescence is a new word. We used to call it death dating. It has been around forever it seems, in my reality anyway. The people in control of this economy make obsolescence a common theme, utilizing many forms including style and color. When the color of a car fades or the new car smell disappears a lot of people buy a new one. When your car gets a few years old it's time for a lot of people to trade it in because a policy that corresponds new cars with wealth has been created. Upgrading is a part of this Economical approach as is making things last a fraction of their lifetime so you have to buy a new one.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
This is true with all of technology because we are constantly advancing.
Apple is overrated.
Iphones and Ipads are childsplay compared to the Android system.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
If you buy an Apple, you get what you get.

My boss thought Apple was the way to go so he bought one. When he has trouble doing something on it, no one can help him because no one around here uses Apple. As smart as he is, he outsmarted himself.

I don't use Apple, except the Ipod. It is the best music player I have found. I purhcase products because of what i perceive the value to be. If i were to buy a tablet, it would be an andriod or windows tablet.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yes you get some of the best products of all time especially in design quality

All these people criticizing apple is ridiculous..what about the other 50 companies in last 30 years who have sold you obselete junk

Op should just upgrade and get on with it

Ipad 1 is prehistoric

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperTripps

For a grand, it should not yet be prehistoric. And even if it is, it should still function for what it was originally designed to do (and get some support).

With WIndows, they will provide extended support when their customers demand it (XP was supported for a LOOOONG time) Apple customers don't demand anything, and have little standing to make demands. They whimper, and open their wallet.

Even my ancient IPod Nano (i have a few Ipods) works and does exactly what it was designed to do. And it was made long before the touch screen came to market.
edit on 3-2-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Need tunes in the car? Buy a USB stick for $10

Need an apple? Go to the grocery store and get one for under a buck.

I would NEVER purchase an apple product. Makes no sense. They run intel hardware, and the OS isn't any better than ubuntu. I can rig a machine to run OSX that will outperform a decked out mac pro, for a quarter of the price.

Planned obsolescence happens in every non-critical industry.
edit on 3-2-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed

So I am an owner of an iPad 1, I purchased it probably 6 months after it came out. I purchased the 64GM 3G ipad it it cost about $1000 with insurance.

Now since Apple has rolled out their new ios6 (Around June 2012), the iPad1 is no longer being supported. In return applications that I have paid money for are no longer being supported and ultimately they stop working like several application have so far.

Just think it cost them about $100 to make , why do the apps stop working and what ones?

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

When you purchase applications It tells you what devices it supports.

If you purchase something that your device cannot support then that isnt their fault.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I am speaking to the many apps I purchased while my iPad was being supported. The applications are no longer being updated by the developers since they are only required to keep their applications compatible with their current iOS.

I haven't purchased any apps since the ones I already I owned, excuse me I mean rent from apple started to no longer work. Not all of them. but when I reached app number 15 that I had to delete, it got a little old.
edit on 2/3/2013 by Djayed because: Fixed spelling

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
After Windows XP I just quit giving a crap about updating anything. Maybe I'm just getting old, but planned obselscence isn't some far out conspiracy theory, it's a business model. I'll worry about updating my stuff when a gallon of gas becomes affordable again. The consumer market is strapped, utterly.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
why do the apps stop working and what ones?

The developers are only required to support iOS6 with their apps, so it starts with not being able to update them. Then applications stop functioning, and since they have no support the issues never get fixed and you get to just delete them since they are taking up space.

I had several file sharing and remote desk top apps I used that I had to delete. I have deleted all of them except zite, which is the app I use the most, it was free but it is fraustrating that I can no longer use it. I am starting to not be able to use my iPad for what I bought it for. I never wanted the iPad anyway but I got tired of waiting for something comparable to come to market.

If I would have waited 6 months, It wouldn't have been an issue. But I was impatient and wanted to feel like I was living in star trek times.
edit on 2/3/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join