It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apples Planned Obsolescence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Sorry BUT I have a android tablet and also and ipad 3 which was replaced 7 months after launch with the ipad 4,

Now if an app is downloaded to either machine and works that's it ,YOUR ipad 1 cant be updated to ios 6 your app on you ipad will still work, why would an app stop working?

If your ipad could be update to ios 6 and an app stopped working that I could understand as the app then might not be compatible with the newer operating system.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

An app works in two parts:

1. On your device
2. The developers/companies servers

If they stop supporting anything below the current iOS, for example the application zite and a bug occurs (Due to Maintence/ Software updates on the server) the only way the can deploy a fix is by a software update. So guess what I can't update my app. So now everytime, lets just say I select the third page or click a link wthing the app, the app will now crash.

This will make it useless, and I have to delete. I have delete game apps, business apps, remote desktop apps, news apps. All because they stopped being supported and I was no longer able to update to fix errors. Since my spouse has been laid off of work, it is not financially feasible or responsible of me to purchase a newer device.

I purchased an android for my spouse about 6 months after I purchased mine and it works without issue, apps and all.
edit on 2/3/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
This is nothing new. I have an old apple clamshell with mac os 9 and why oh why did they stop supporting it?

well, you can imagine why as with all old technology it becomes obsolete.

Try installing stuff on windows 98. It's the same thing. We all want bigger and better and they just want to focus on what is current instead of wasting efforts in keeping your dinosaur running.

edit: also, where did you buy your ipad? an ipad 1st generation goes for about $200 on ebay.
edit on 3-2-2013 by Sunglower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunglower

I bought it at Best Buy the July after Apple launched it, before the iPad 2 came out.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
ok, I guess I see where your coming from. One would expect a pricey purchase like that to last longer than 3 years.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Thanks, I appreciate the understanding!

Off topic, I love your avatar pic!!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sunglower
This is nothing new. I have an old apple clamshell with mac os 9 and why oh why did they stop supporting it?

well, you can imagine why as with all old technology it becomes obsolete.

Try installing stuff on windows 98. It's the same thing. We all want bigger and better and they just want to focus on what is current instead of wasting efforts in keeping your dinosaur running.

edit: also, where did you buy your ipad? an ipad 1st generation goes for about $200 on ebay.
edit on 3-2-2013 by Sunglower because: (no reason given)

Umm....Windows 98 is like, 15 years old. Not a good comparison

Can you still get Windows Vista support? That is a better comparison. And I think the answer is kinda obvious.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I've never purchased an Apple product - a side effect from 20-ish years ago when I worked in computer sales and the staff divided into PC vs Apple lovers. I'd just purchased a PC, so I sided with the PC crowd. The rivalry there was so polarized and active that it pretty much defined my personality for the duration.

Since XP has been brought up in this thread... I happen to be typing on an XP machine right now. In fact I just did a full system wipe and reinstall last week. Guess what? Even though it's not technically supported any longer, my XP still auto-updated fully and without my having to lift a finger or Google any patches. The only complaint I have is that it got overzealous and installed the .NET framework out of order, resulting in me having to trick it into installing the last two updates.

If this were an Apple system? It would have become a paperweight six or seven years back - instead of a fully functioning computer.

I do get the love of Steve Jobs - but not of the company he created.

~Heff

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Wow! Reading the responses from Apple's minions is hilarious! I guess it's hard to admit when you've been suckered and easier to defend stupid decisions.

Personally, I would never own an Apple product. First, they're way over-priced! Secondly, they hold you hostage - you can only use this app, that technology isn't supported, or the OP's example. iPhone batteries last for less than year and iTouch for about 18 months. Where can I buy a replacement? OH, I can't??? I have to buy a whole new phone? SCREW YOU!

Nope, when I buy an electronic, it is MINE! Apple treats you like it is on loan to you. Why should I have to "jailbreak" my device to use it the way I intend???

Nope, would never happen. If Apple was the last technology company out there, I'd go back to using an abacus rather their products. But I have to admit... it is incredibly amusing watching the sheeple line up for days to buy their next piece of crap!

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
yeah, let's go with the cheapest product and OS with tons of viruses and malware. Yeah, that sounds like a good choice too.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

yeah, let's go with the cheapest product and OS with tons of viruses and malware. Yeah, that sounds like a good choice too.

it isn't the cheapest product. The cheapest product would be Ubuntu (or another Linux OS). And Ubuntu is equally virus proof to MacOS. And, and, and.....its FREE.

Regardless, if you are in business, good luck with your Apple.

ETA: for the right person (someone tech savvy), apple is a decent product (still underpowered as a PC). If you aren't tech savvy, you are creating a headache. Setting up a printer? If you don't know what you are doing you are at the mercy of those around you (or some phoned in tech support).
edit on 4-2-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

I've been thinking about this concept for quite awhile now, and do not think it is limited to apple products. I've never owned a single apple product, but have been caught in that trap of wanted the faster computer or whatever. My current computer is less than a year old, and it is showing signs of a terminal sickness. I doubt that I replace it. I don't care about computers or the internet anymore. They feel relatively useless to me, compared to what I spend to keep a working machine. The internet has become one big marketing campaign, that we all paid for. I threw out my television years ago, and don't even miss it. I will miss ATS, after my computer gets sent off to a recycler, but I definitely wont miss MSNBC, after reading the article linked below.

unrelated news

It kind of makes me happy that I don't have cable.

I don't believe planned obsolescence is limited to electronics, either. For only 15% of it's original cost, I just picked up a sweet, low mileage, E55 AMG mercedes-benz. The previous owner only got rid of it, because the newest models have a different appearance.
edit on 4-2-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

it isn't the cheapest product. The cheapest product would be Ubuntu (or another Linux OS). And Ubuntu is equally virus proof to MacOS. And, and, and.....its FREE.

Regardless, if you are in business, good luck with your Apple.

ETA: for the right person (someone tech savvy), apple is a decent product (still underpowered as a PC). If you aren't tech savvy, you are creating a headache. Setting up a printer? If you don't know what you are doing you are at the mercy of those around you (or some phoned in tech support).
edit on 4-2-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

Actually if you buy a computer designed for and pre-installed with Linux it is more expensive than windows. I've had bad luck installing Linux on a windows computer. Sure, it can be done, but I'm no techno geek...

also, I want to use the QQ program and the linux version is a joke and even with wine I couldn't get it to work.

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Im no geek, either. I had enough issues with Ubuntu that I generally just go with Windows

On the right machine, it is awesome. Otherwise, you can have issues.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by tamusan

I don't believe planned obsolescence is limited to electronics, either. For only 15% of it's original cost, I just picked up a sweet, low mileage, E55 AMG mercedes-benz. The previous owner only got rid of it, because the newest models have a different appearance.
edit on 4-2-2013 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

The car might be 15% of it's original cost SPARES don't drop the same

I have a friend who bought a used BWM for half it's original price , road tax, fuel, oil, spares etc still cost the same he spoke about getting a used Audi R8 when the cost drops below 50% of cost until I reminded him that discs and pads are £3000 per wheel!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

SO if you own an Apple product, even if there is nothing wrong they will force you to buy a new one

Sorry, not quiet right.
Apple arent forcing anyone to do anything.
People seem more than willing to hand over hard earned cash for a useless fad without Apple even lifting a finger.

Gotta admit, Apple saw the vulnerable side of the human psyche when it came to status. How many of you have bought a new Ipad with 128GB? when you 64GB Apple was more then enough?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperTripps
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

All these people criticizing apple is ridiculous..what about the other 50 companies in last 30 years who have sold you obselete junk

True. Your car has built in obsolescence, same with your Android phone or your laptop. It's a standard modern business practice which ensures that nothing lasts and that you are required to buy the latest and greatest. If you don't like it, then don't play the game. Personally I think most of the fundamentals of modern business practices are exploitative and immoral - a form of cheating, but it is what it is.

If you don't like Apple's over the top restrictions on what you can and can't do with the device that you paid good money for, then find out what they don't like you doing and then do it. One example is to jailbreak your device and another is to find one of the freebie apps pirating systems and use that. This way you have a lot more control over your device - and you are taking money out of Apple's mouth my using pirated apps. App Store purchases are an important income stream for Apple.

As for the iPad 1 no longer being supported... you will need to update to the latest possible version of IOS (5.1.something I think) and then jailbreak it. Cydia will have a bunch of security and productivity tweaks which probably exceed the utility you'd get out an IOS 6.1 update anyway.

Here's a ZDNet article on exactly this issue - www.zdnet.com... The comments section makes me all warm and fuzzy too - seems more and more iGeeks are getting sick of Apple's bullsh!t.

For the record, it's extremely difficult to brick your device through jailbreaking it. Just in the last couple of days, I have jailbroken an iPod Touch 4G, an iPhone 5 and an iPad Mini. It took a matter of mere minutes.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
reply to post by Djayed

SO if you own an Apple product, even if there is nothing wrong they will force you to buy a new one

Sorry, not quiet right.
Apple arent forcing anyone to do anything.
People seem more than willing to hand over hard earned cash for a useless fad without Apple even lifting a finger.

Gotta admit, Apple saw the vulnerable side of the human psyche when it came to status. How many of you have bought a new Ipad with 128GB? when you 64GB Apple was more then enough?

Well, that's true since I will not be buying another iPad. This was more if you did not want to waste all of that money you spent on Apps, Apple is forcing you to buy a new iPad (That's more accurate).

I agree with you 100% on the 128GB, I have never reached anywhere close to my limit of space with 64GB.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I've had an iPod Touch for about 4 years now and thanks to the new OS not working on my hardware and apps constantly changing to work with the newer OS my Touch is slowly becoming a brick despite the fact that it functions just fine.

The latest example being the Coast to Coast app. Even though the app hasnt updated the source audio apparently has and its not incompatible so Im using a third party app.

I could forgive these inconveniences if there were drastic hardware changes or advancements but it's always just some stupid feature that should have existed in the first place like a better screen or an asinine camera. What does a camera have to do with the operating system that makes one version completely incompatible with no-camera hardware?

My next pocket web device will be anything but an Apple product. The Galaxy Players looks to do everything I want without the Apple baggage.

F Apple in the A.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Wait, at some point your apps will update and then you can not use them anymore? Cant you just use the last OS and the last version of the app that works for you?

But yeah I dont get the point of using apple. If you look at things like the iMac, yeah they are stylish, but you have no costumisation, so you buy a machine that is way more powerfull than what you need, or not powerful enough. It would be luck if you spend all that money in a way that is just right for you. And if you want customisation with a power mac you pay through the nose for it.

But its easy. Instead of configuring all the right machines for the arts department and setting them up, you just buy an Imac and put it on the desk. Its not your money anyway, its the shareholders.
edit on 7-2-2013 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join