It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Kill Insects

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Stupidest thread I've ever seen. All insects play an important role. Many birds, bats and other animals depend on them as the primary source of food. I don't think you understand ecology. Remove one level and everything above it falls. There is no such thing as 'war' in nature, just reciprocating balance. But of course someone who kills moths because of some freak accident has a dysfunctional relationship with the natural world, one of irrationality and fear. Grow some balls and stop being afraid of every little thing. Moths are important pollinators also. There are not just sound scientific reasons but also spiritual ones. One should love and marvel at all life.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

Hi HelenConway,

You posted the following quote:

People's lives would be very different without the benefits provided by insects, and it is unlikely that we could survive on earth without them. Our crops and homes would be overrun by pest insects and weeds. We would not have fruits, vegetables, and plants that depend on insect pollination. There would be no honey, silk, and other useful products made by insects. Dead trees and animals as well as animal droppings would cover the ground

I am not saying we should kill ALL insects. Obviously, we must keep the useful ones. Insects that pollinate (like bees) are "good" insects. Insects/worms that produce silk, are "good" species.

We should distinguish between "good" insects and "pest" insects.

And we should rage war against the pest species.

You also wrote:

I bow out of this thread because you are showing great disrespect for life and I do not enjoy being around people who do this, even on the internet.

I have GREAT respect for life, especially human life, and mammal life.

But where insects threaten and compete with human life, they are the enemy.

It would be a great shame if you were to "bow out" of this thread, because I appreciate and respect your perspective. I believe both you and I can learn from this discussion.

Best regards
QMask

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
I don't think you understand ecology.

I used to have a friend that would let mosquitos suck on his arm, 'they needed to eat too' apparently. I'd say he understood ecology pretty well, but there's a fine line between a pest and and a pollinator in my humble opinion. I lost another really good friend once to a spider bite, not even a dangerous spider, but after that, I added them to the 'squish list' and I've yet to feel guilt over it.
Maybe someday I'll come around to it and start feeling the love when the mosquito sucks on me and transfers it's bacteria ridden saliva into me my to cull my population. Until then though, it's bug zapper and fly swatter city around here.

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by QMask

I have to say maybe I did sound a bit harsh - but please, if you respect life as you say, Just live and let live, Do no harm - as much as possible,

You know this.

It applies to all creatures - including insects,

posted on Feb, 3 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
ask a budhist this question and they will tell you all life is sacred..even a fruit fly, everything is here for a reason ..one species feeds another and so on, you cant mess with this formula too much or you have disasters, ..we are the intruders and have f,d up our planet so badly
i dont follow the budhist philosify completly.. i will kill mosquitos if they invade my space, i get some woodbugs in the summer sometimes i just pick em up with the vacuum, flies i just try and shoo them out..spiders i will remove and put outside, hell i have even let a few stay in key positions..lol, i do have a couple of tarantulas so im used to 8 legged critters not that i really care for the house spiders though they do creep me out
but its mostly live and let live..really though if you dont like insects you have no business killing spiders as they do more to curtail the insect population than anything

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by QMask

Yes, I am an Insect Killer!

I believe there is a war going on between insects and people. This is the real war. It is a war for survival. If we don't defend ourselves, insects will destroy our food crops, and we will not have enough to eat.

Insects can also carry diseases. Just think of mosquitoes and flies.

So, when they come into my house, or into my office:

I kill mosquitoes.
I kill flies.
I kill moths.
I kill beatles.
I kill ants.
I kill crickets and grasshoppers.

I don't kill butterflies and ladybirds.
I don't kill bees, because we need them to pollinate our food crops, and other plants.
I would never kill a praying mantis, because they kill other insects.

I kill spiders, because they are just creepy, and I am afraid of them.
I find many insects to be creepy as well, and therefore they have to die.

So, this is my philosophy regarding insects.

Am I wrong?
Am I a monster?
Am I incurring a lot of bad Karma?

The strange thing is, I do believe in Karma. Seventeen months ago, I stopped eating animal products, because I believe it is wrong that an animal must die, just so that I can eat. (Seventeen months ago, I basically turned my diet into a vegan vegetarian diet. That means: no meat, no cows milk, no cheese, and no eggs. I just eat: fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds and grains.)

I believe I am incurring good Karma for not eating animal products like meat etc.
But maybe I am incurring bad Karma for killing insects?

So, this has turned into an internal struggle for me.
And that is why I come here to ask your opinion.

Is my philosophy wrong?
How do you deal with these issues?
What is your philosophy?

Cheers
QMask

Yes, in your next life you will be born as an insect.....

Just kidding

posted on Feb, 4 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
i read this and couldn't stop laughing. You are a hero. Continue your work. All those bugs you listed about killing that enter your home by all means do it. The war on bugs lol. But don't go out in a suit with a couple poison tanks spraying every ant colony you come across.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join