It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying Phrases or Words

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Ugh. Going forward, drilling down, monetizing, blah blah. I worked at a dot-com before that whole mess went hooters up, and every Friday we'd have a company-wide staff meeting where all the department managers would take turns puking that douchespeak, trying to sound like they knew what they were doing. My buddy and I would stand in the back mocking them and disagreeing with the direction they were taking the company. Buying up other little dotcoms like the CEO was on a Gordon Gekko power trip or something. They wasted so much money at that company it should have been criminal.

Another one I hate is "BBW". Come on, people, that is as misleading as it gets.

Slightly off-subject, but I have an odd habit: Everytime I hear the phrase "going forward," I repeat it slowly. "g-o-i-n-g f-o-r-w-a-r-D!" I do the same thing with Pulitzer Prize, because every time I hear it someone is mispronouncing it as "pullet surprise." P-u-l-l-e-t s-u-r-PRISE!" I say....

Edit: Perhaps this will help everyone visualize:

edit on 2/1/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by Ex_CT2

Brainschlusse

I had spelled it wrong. It has something to do with rocket trajectories after the burnout of the engines.
edit on 1-31-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for better link.

Oh, I see. I wasn't being critical; I really wasn't familiar with the term.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

"what-not"
"epic"
"extreme"
and.......
when every sentence is ended with an uptick so it sounds like a question.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:11 AM
link   
So like bro like dude like whatever like...
Or Brits when they end of sentences half way as if they are too lazy to finish the rest of the sentence. Also when they refer to themselves as us. For example, "Stop touching me" becomes "Stop touching us."

When i was a kid the "I know you are but what am i" - VERY IRRITATING

Although i gota admit i use the word bro quite often . But just to my friends. Its not like im going up to my boss and calling him bro.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

Dudette ,Oh brother
I was quoting, The Dude, in The Big Leboski.in that post since he is my avatar.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
"Cherry pick"...

It's the phrase of the month.
Reminds me when I was young and I was cherry picking in our back yard all the time...[red and yellow kind]. *sigh* ats...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
People who sign their posts with their screen name or with the phrase "deny ignorance"...... ANNOYING

I find that these people are usually very annoying, have arrogant and narcissistic personalities and I rarely, if ever, agree with their opinions.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicWand67
People who sign their posts with their screen name or with the phrase "deny ignorance"...... ANNOYING

I find that these people are usually very annoying, have arrogant and narcissistic personalities and I rarely, if ever, agree with their opinions.

I have also found the signing of a post with ones screen name to be annoying as well. Seems quite superfluous to me.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:28 AM
link   
CherryO, Boy do you need a mirror!

P

edit on 1/2/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/2/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Slang, jargon and popular phrases don't bother me. Maybe because I'm not jaded.. or a geezer...or an egotist.

I am bothered by the use of pointless, redundant or unnecessary words like "solutionize", "irregardless", "nother" or "unthaw".

There is one phrase I can think of that bothers me to hear, and that is, "How come..".

"How come when blah blah comes around blah blah happens?"

It doesn't bother me when a child says it, but to hear a grown person say it just irks me. I shouldn't even say that. It just... bothers me.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Bring and Take, it annoys me when people use those 2 words interchangeably.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
'24/7' really annoys me. It actually takes longer to say than 'all the time'. Also I hate it when people talk of reducing the amount of 'carbon' in the atmosphere when they mean carbon dioxide. It's like calling water 'hydrogen'.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

What's wrong with 'chuffed'? We say it all the time in Scotland, though it means a bit more than just being happy or pleased, it has an additional quality of delighted surprise at an unexpectedly good outcome usually related to a personal achievement or something that turned out really well that someone else did for you rather than being pleased /happy for someone else, e.g. you go to the hairdresser and come out with a totally new look and really like it, you could be really chuffed with the result.

Do note, that 'chuffed' must never be mixed up with word 'chuff/chuffed' in the context of 'the passing of rather offensively odorous gas from the nether regions'..... especially when accompanied by the word 'eggy' unless you are unexpectedly proud of this and feel it was a bit of an achievement, where you may wish to say how chuffed you were with your eggy chuff

I do think the whole 'like' or 'likes' thing, scattered willy-nilly throughout a conversation does just make the person sound not too clever, as does the word 'but' at the end of every sentence.

Another one which drives me mad is the constant misuse of the word 'random', who starts these fads off in the first place?

And finally, the one I hate most and find myself constantly correcting children and teenagers over is the word 'jamp' instead of 'jumped'. How the hell did this one start and why have I not seen teachers in primary school correcting the kids so they do not end up going on to use it as teenagers?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

doofus

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:50 AM
link   

This thread made me recall a game I was given - it's called Wank Words. I will simply type out what is on the sheet. It is hilarious and it embraces the topic of this thread.

Do you keep falling asleep at meetings? Here's something to change all that. WANK WORDS. How to play: simply tick off 5 Wank Words in one meeting and shout out Bingo! It's that easy!

(Then there is a grid - like the numbers sheet for a game of bingo - with all the following words listed.)

Synergies - Take That Offline - Stategic Fit - At The End Of The Day - Gap Analysis - Best Practice - Bottom Line - Core Business - Lessons Learnt - Touch Base - Ducks In A Row - Game Plan - Bandwith - Hardball - Show Stoppers - The Full Nine Yards - Bench Marking - Big Picture - Value Adding - Singing Off The Same Hymnsheet - Ballpark - Proactive Not Reactive - Win Win Situation - Think Outside The Box - Fast Track - Result Driven - Strawman - Move Goal Posts - Left Hand Not Knowing Right Hand - Bread And Butter - Draw A Line In The Sand - Spearhead - Bottom Out - Heads Up - Cash Neutral - Issues - Kickin Goals - Kick Ass - Reinvent The Wheel - Brainstorm - Results Driven - Fly It Up The Flagpole - Slippery Slide - Ticks In Boxes - Mindset - Knock On Effect - Put This One To Bed - Y2K - Quality Driven - No Blame.

Testimonials From Other Players:

I had only been in the meeting for five minutes when I yelled Bingo!

My attention span at meetings has improved dramatically!

It's a wheeze, meetings will never be the same for me after my first outright win!

The atmosphere was tense at the last process workshop as 32 of us listened for the elusive fifth!

The facilitator was gobsmacked as we all screamed Bingo for the third time in two hours!

I feel that the game has enhanced the overall quality of meetings per se on a quid pro quo basis!

People are even listening to mumblers thanks to WANK WORDS!

Bonza - you could have cut the atmosphere with a cricket stump as waited for the fifth delivery!

Hope this brings a smile to some faces. It is a little dated as I think it was given to me about 10 -15 years ago. The only word I cannot stand is - yuck I can hardly stand to type it out - panties. It makes my skin crawl - just call them undies or pants or whatever but not that word!

Much Peace...and laughter...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
misdirected anger as well

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
oh, and one I forgot. It really annoys me when in forum posts people are having an argument with someone else but their signature is the word 'peace'!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I don't usually get irritated by words or phrases, I've never been a fan of Grammar-Nazis. But, I have a few that bother me.

Bro and Dude don't bother me, but "Brah" instead of "bro" drives me up the wall for some reason.

"Hella"

All the trendy twitter-isms like, "P'wned" "ownage" "epic fail/win" I realize those come from the WOW community, I never got into that game.

When I was in the Navy I was always on the brink of losing it when people would correct you because you didn't use the Navy term for something. "wire rope" for steel cable, deck for floor, bulkhead for wall (even in a building), crosstip screwdriver instead of a phillips screwdriver.

Oh, Some words that really drive me bonkers. "Obummer/Obumma" those ones drive me crazy! I don't like him either, but you just sound like an idiot when you say that, just like the idiots who said "G-dub/Dubya" a few years ago.

Jesus, I sound like a grammar-nazi....

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
In England at the moment (well the past year) the word "robust" seems to be the latest go to word for politicians, . It's as if in the morning they all get a list of words that they can use to portray a government in control. Makes me cringe every time.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, which greately surprises me. "YOLO", I can't describe how infuriating that phrase is. They use it as an excuse to do things that are rather dangerous where I am from. For example, these people who wanted me to jump off of a cliff into shallow water said "YOLO" when I refused. I said " All the better reason not to do it, right?". I think "YOLO" should be used to PREVENT you from doing those dangerous things, not incite them. Since you only live once.

Another that was mentioned before is "Swag". Then, from that they devised the newest one of them all: "Swagfag". (Please excuse my language on that, but it had to be stated.)
edit on 1-2-2013 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join