Annoying Phrases or Words

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I hate when people complain about stupid things, that make no difference in life, who obviously like to perpetuate negativity.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I am getting tired of opening up a thread and the stupid disclaimer of the poster who says

"I don't know if this is in the right spot, so mods please feel free to move this to its right place"

As if they wouldn't dare move a thread without permission.

I have two phrases that bother me.

1) So. I am soooooo going to get me a hamburger.

2) Thing. I am tired of the whole texting thing.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I know...right?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BankRaider
I am getting tired of opening up a thread and the stupid disclaimer of the poster who says

"I don't know if this is in the right spot, so mods please feel free to move this to its right place"

Now you mention it, this is a particular disliking that I have too.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by BankRaider

Now you mention it, this is a particular disliking that I have too.

Yea, no kidding. They think the mods wont do it if they dont say it?

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Can you imagine walking into a kitchen and taking a pee in the sink but start out by telling the home owner that they are free to get you a bowl if you are peeing in the wrong place. Just a funny thought I had that bears no resemblence really but I wanted to share

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Having not read through the thread yet, probably been said,

Especially hate the news casters saying "If you will" all the time, half the time I am thinking If you will what! They use it in a way that makes no sense.

I hate all words that just have to be thrown into every sentence, pertaining to bodily functions and sex having nothing whatsoever to do with any subject. So I hate talking to most people, That is one reason I like ATS they leave out the colorful unhelpful language.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I used to find "You better ..." pretty annoying, but as I've gotten older I've gotten better at ignoring what people say.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
I hate when people complain about stupid things, that make no difference in life, who obviously like to perpetuate negativity.

Yet you're still hating on them. Hypocrite?

edit on 1-2-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
ooh oooh ooh I got one I really hate.
Second line.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
One that I hate mostly is whenever someone was going to do something but started doing it wrong or their plans changed etc and they say "just kidding" instead. That bugs the hell out of me and I didn't hear it until my Freshman year of college from my first roommate. Any time she was about to do something and either slipped up or couldn't do it "just kidding!" . ... That irks me, it's almost like someone can't size up to the fact that they've wronged. They can't go "Oops!" or "Oh, I guess that won't work..." No. They have to state things like they can do no wrong and that they have not failed. I don't know why this bothers me so much but it just does.

Another thing is the old phrase "Straight from the horse's mouth" ... What?!?!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

I am using that game at my next meeting.

Can I add one more? The phrase "Wha ha happened was..." before a crazy story.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cherry0

Originally posted by Urantia1111
I get tired of "that being said"/"having said that". Just use a period and start the next sentence.
Also I know a woman who starts sentences (when speaking) with "Again..." as if she has already said what she's about to say and is reiterating, but then it turns out to be a new idea or topic she's going into. Moreover, let's do away with the use of "sorry" when disagreeing with someone ie "Sorry. That's not a ufo, it's clearly a bird."

There, that should offend damned near everyone.

Sorry but I disagree. Having said that...I do like your avatar. Again...sorry...

Hehe. Just kidding.

OP: I actually don't get bothered too often by certain words or phrases. Once in a while one comes around that makes me cringe. Such as "jelly", as in the shortened version of jealous (e.g. I'm so jelly). That really bugs me.

What about including the words we love? Like Scuba and Tubing!

I met a few people from the EU and they were always saying...

Isn't it now or Didn't we now, and such in a question form after every sentence.
It became very annoying quickly!

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by erwalker
There is one word that has become popular in the last five years that I cannot stand people using.

"Upcoming"

People use it to signify that what they are talking or writing about has not happened yet. It seems as if they feel no one would have figured that out from their use of future tense.

A truly egregious example was its constant use by broadcasters in reference to the 2010 Winter Olympics, back in 2009. It was almost as if they wanted to make sure we didn't think they were referring to the 2010 Olympics that occurred in 2008. LOL

How about the long run of "Upwardly Mobile".

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logos23

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Excuse me....Dude??? "I'm the Dude,so thats what you call me.You know,that or,uh,His dudeness,or uh,Duder,or El Duderino if your not into the whole brevity thing"

An American bloke once called me dudette.....it didn't offend me or anything....but i did find it rather cringe worthy!

That ...Bloke...thing bothers me.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
When I was about 12 years old, the word Brennschluss would set me off big time. Only my big brother knew this. One day he got a group of people together on the school bus and they gathered around me going "Brennschluss, brennschluss one, two, three" repeatedly. Eventually I could not stand it anymore and snapped, grabbing one of my neighbors and ripping the sleeves off of the down coat he was wearing. This happened just as the bus came to our stop. The parents blamed me and my brother got off sweet. Mom had to sew the kids coat back together and nobody teased me anymore. It was a strange trip.
edit on 1-31-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for spelling.

Ok at least it is a real word. had to check.

That would be fuel cutoff, end of burning, what's their word…Brennschluss. We don't have one. Or else it's classified. — Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow ...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm guilty of most of the offenses listed in this thread. I'm especially guilty of overusing "dude" or "dudette", because these forms of address were popular when I was growing up. My mind has forever been warped by Bill and Ted.

Because I am so far from perfect in my speech and writing, I am usually very easygoing about how others express themselves. I certainly never think less of anyone for using words or expressions that irk me. But a few words do get under my skin. I am also among the ATS members who get annoyed at "brah" for "bro" or "brother". I also go a bit bonkers when I see "prolly" instead of "probably" or "summat" in place of "something" in forum posts. I understand "summat" is a part of many regional dialects, so I make allowances for it in conversation. I just don't like to see it in written communication.

I use y'all in both conversation and in writing quite often, and am always annoyed at myself when I do!

And I find my ATS screen name the most irksome thing I've ever seen on ATS! I'd change it if I could do so without losing all of my accumulated private messages and board perks. It was the result of haste and fatigue and I've regretted it ever since.

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by talesone
So like bro like dude like whatever like...
Or Brits when they end of sentences half way as if they are too lazy to finish the rest of the sentence. Also when they refer to themselves as us. For example, "Stop touching me" becomes "Stop touching us."

When i was a kid the "I know you are but what am i" - VERY IRRITATING

Although i gota admit i use the word bro quite often . But just to my friends. Its not like im going up to my boss and calling him bro.

What is it with men calling each other "Man" every few words? I hate that. My husband says this everytime a guy friend or colleague is on the phone, otherwise he never says it. Yeah man....Ok Man...

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I hate "Butthurt"

posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Making up list of things that annoy you is bad magic,
but I do think the word "colloquialism" is a bit gay.
edit on 1-2-2013 by rom12345 because: after thought

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join