It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying Phrases or Words

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
"Comfort Food" - for some reason i hate this phrase it really pisses me off for no reason.

"Bro or Dude" - whoever says it just want to say shut the heck up you hipster doofus.

All Office Speak like "going forward" &"lets touch base".

You guys have any?

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Stop being "anal" about the subject.
I hate that word. reminds me of anuses.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
People who start every sentence (or thread) with So.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Kids (twenty-somethings) that end every sentence with "Yeah....right?" The way their voices get high pitched on "right" to where it sounds like a question- I hate it!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by canucks555
Stop being "anal" about the subject.
I hate that word. reminds me of anuses.

That is actually what the word means and what is trying to be said. If you are being anal, then you are talking out of your anus.

P

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Any sentences that refer to anuses are nasty

lol!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

Kids (twenty-somethings) that end every sentence with "Yeah....right?" The way their voices get high pitched on "right" to where it sounds like a question- I hate it!

The disease of the upwards inflection is spreading.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ad nauseam was cool to say on forums ten years ago, now (imo) it's getting tired!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
"Pay it forward".... how about punch you in the face forward?

And what about the word "AMAZING" ... when did EVERYTHING become AMAZING?? I can't hear that word even one more time in the next 100 years, I've maxed out on it.

Comfort food.... I chuckled at that, I have a 500lb friend who says that a lot. He eats to feel "comfort".

edit on 31-1-2013 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Excuse me....Dude??? "I'm the Dude,so thats what you call me.You know,that or,uh,His dudeness,or uh,Duder,or El Duderino if your not into the whole brevity thing"

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
For the benefit of the posters above:

Free Dictionary: Anal-Retentive Personality

Noun 1. anal retentive personality - (psychoanalysis) a personality characterized by meticulous neatness and suspicion and reserve; said to be formed in early childhood by fixation during the anal stage of development (usually as a consequence of toilet training)

But, to the subject at hand: Yeah, "Going forward." I hate that damn phrase. Absolutely idiotic and redundant. It reminds me of when "at this point in time" became popular. Suddenly and forever, it was everywhere. We'll never get rid of it....

edit on 1/31/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/31/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
"At the end of the day"

"It is what it is"

"Hella-fun" "Hella-cool" ect

"I'm just sayin"

"Like" in every sentence

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
"You never know."

This little gem is generally thrown around during debates concerning religion and/or science (usually towards the end). It typically translates into "Agree to disagree", but I hate it soooo much. Maybe it's because "Agree to disagree" is another phrase I loathe like a nail gun to the scrotum.

ETA> because we're sharing here...

I also hate the sound of liquid being poured into a glass. Not a phrase or word I know, but it really is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

*shivers*

edit on 31-1-2013 by Garkiniss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I get tired of "that being said"/"having said that". Just use a period and start the next sentence.
Also I know a woman who starts sentences (when speaking) with "Again..." as if she has already said what she's about to say and is reiterating, but then it turns out to be a new idea or topic she's going into. Moreover, let's do away with the use of "sorry" when disagreeing with someone ie "Sorry. That's not a ufo, it's clearly a bird."

There, that should offend damned near everyone.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111
I get tired of "that being said"/"having said that". Just use a period and start the next sentence.
Also I know a woman who starts sentences (when speaking) with "Again..." as if she has already said what she's about to say and is reiterating, but then it turns out to be a new idea or topic she's going into. Moreover, let's do away with the use of "sorry" when disagreeing with someone ie "Sorry. That's not a ufo, it's clearly a bird."

Sorry. That doesn't offend me....

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
A little while back I began noticing military personnel who wanted to sound cleverer than everbody new they actually were started saying "however" to often, and in the wrong part of a sentence. That used to really boil my nads.

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Urantia1111

Sorry but I disagree. Having said that...I do like your avatar. Again...sorry...

Hehe. Just kidding.

OP: I actually don't get bothered too often by certain words or phrases. Once in a while one comes around that makes me cringe. Such as "jelly", as in the shortened version of jealous (e.g. I'm so jelly). That really bugs me.

What about including the words we love? Like Scuba and Tubing!

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
That is actually what the word means and what is trying to be said. If you are being anal, then you are talking out of your anus.

P

I always understood it to be short for "anal retentive" or an alternative to "uptight". Talking out of your ass would indicate that the person didn't know what they were talking about...

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
There is one word that has become popular in the last five years that I cannot stand people using.

"Upcoming"

People use it to signify that what they are talking or writing about has not happened yet. It seems as if they feel no one would have figured that out from their use of future tense.

A truly egregious example was its constant use by broadcasters in reference to the 2010 Winter Olympics, back in 2009. It was almost as if they wanted to make sure we didn't think they were referring to the 2010 Olympics that occurred in 2008. LOL

posted on Jan, 31 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
"Because I said so!"
this one really irked me when I was a youngster.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join