It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students at High School Recite The Pledge of Allegiance in Arabic.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I just read this article and had some thoughts and ideas about it, and wish to hear what others have to say.

At first I was feeling a little uneasy because of the language it is in, only because we have been at war with some countries that speak it for over a decade. I also felt that it was good for children to learn other languages and cultures. They also pledge allegiance in other languages as well, although I found it weird that they only pledge on Mondays, at every school I have attended we recited the Pledge every day.

Link to Article

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Good. Kids need to learn that the US is a global melting pot, not some empire of dominance.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by T4NG0

You realize right we used to do a NAZI style salute to the flag not to long ago? Called the Bellamy salute it was oddly stopped after the USA entered WWII wonder why

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Good! Why is this even news?

edit on 30-1-2013 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleVortex
Good! Why is this even news?

edit on 30-1-2013 by PurpleVortex because: (no reason given)

It is considered controversial to a lot of people. Apparently the principal is getting a lot of hateful messages and phone calls from parents, which I feel is wrong.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
reply to post by T4NG0

You realize right we used to do a NAZI style salute to the flag not to long ago? Called the Bellamy salute it was oddly stopped after the USA entered WWII wonder why

en.wikipedia.org...

Whoa I didn't even know that! Thanks for posting this!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
B.S. this is only level style indocrination, you can say what you wish, but the young minds are controlled first. want to learn a language, fine, do not use the pledge in your teachings, that can and should be done in many other forms. what is the next stage? question, do you see spanish, french or other classes doing this? if so, it is not right imho. Did the replace the word God with allah? Is this the training of future sheep?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I know I'm gonna catch heat for this, but...
This is wrong. Teach them any language you like, but the Pledge Of Allegiance should be in English.
Yeah, we're a melting pot, we have many nationalities and all that. But, people come here to enjoy our freedoms and our way of life. When you are pledging loyalty to our nation, do it in our language.
Flame Away.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by teslahowitzer

Why does it matter what language you pledge in?
This is ignorance at its best.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Because it is an English speaking country with the pledge written in English, founded under Christianity. That is why I am completely torn by this I don't know what to think.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

B.S. this is only level style indocrination, you can say what you wish, but the young minds are controlled first. want to learn a language, fine, do not use the pledge in your teachings, that can and should be done in many other forms. what is the next stage? question, do you see spanish, french or other classes doing this? if so, it is not right imho. Did the replace the word God with allah? Is this the training of future sheep?

First, the students translated and read French. Then they recited the pledge in Spanish last fall. Monday, students read the pledge in Arabic. "We have a tremendous amount of diversity in our school," Lopez said. "This is very American, not un-American." The response has been mostly positive, said Lopez, though the calls and emails from upset parents have been very negative. "I guess I'm getting worn down a little bit by how intense their sense of hate has been represented in some of the things they've written and said," Lopez said on Tuesday.

French and Spanish have been done.

I don't see the big deal. Why must we always be outraged when things don't fit our sterilized White-American view of the US?

God forbid we step outside the box from time to time without it being called indoctrination.

edit on 30-1-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

First, our main language is English. Secondly, it is catering to one culture. We have hundreds of languages spoken here. English is the one language that unites us all.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I know I'm gonna catch heat for this, but...
This is wrong. Teach them any language you like, but the Pledge Of Allegiance should be in English.
Yeah, we're a melting pot, we have many nationalities and all that. But, people come here to enjoy our freedoms and our way of life. When you are pledging loyalty to our nation, do it in our language.
Flame Away.

So if I say "Pakistan is a wonderful nation", it doesn't mean anything because it's not in Arabic?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I thought they took this out of the Schools along with Prayer? Hmmm.....

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by skorpius
I thought they took this out of the Schools along with Prayer? Hmmm.....

I believe the debated omission was the "Under God" line, not the whole pledge itself. I could be wrong though.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Because they are kids who understand ENGLISH and therefore, when they are forced to do the pledge in a foreign language, they have no clue as to what they are saying.

It's absolute IGNORANCE to have kids say it in Arabic.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

From the OP's source:

Students have always said it in English. This year, a group with about 30 students approached Lopez with a request to translate and recite the pledge in other languages.

This was at the request of students and no one was forced. Is it also ignorant to say it in Spanish, French of hell....pig Latin?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Because they are kids who understand ENGLISH and therefore, when they are forced to do the pledge in a foreign language, they have no clue as to what they are saying.

It's absolute IGNORANCE to have kids say it in Arabic.

I'm pretty sure the teacher explained what was going on.

EDIT: I can just imagine FlyersFan's fear-filled world.

"Class, today we're going to say some magic words, like Harry Potter!"
- What do the words mean, Ms. Fletcher?
"SHUT UP AND REPEAT AFTER ME!"

***50 years later, kids at pearly gates***

"Oh, sorry Johnny... you can't get into heaven."
- Why not?
"You recited the Muslim Hoodoo prayer in high school."
- But I didn't know what I was saying!
"Too bad."

edit on 30-1-2013 by DaTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Just because you do not agree of a point does not constitute ignorance, that is arrogance, on your part, want a shot at your intelligence, i am not that shallow, say what the he** you want, I believe this should be standardized, melting pot or not. This mudding the waters has an agenda even if you choose not to see it. Is there nothing else they can "recite" in their studies? Maybe I am just too patriotic, But looks like a lot of "Americans" are blatantly cool with the destruction of our young culture, even if it is broadly based. I stand by my values.I fall for for the lack of...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by T4NG0

Next they'll be translating the Bible into these heathen tongues. If it was written in English, it should stay in English!

Sarcasm, I'm not an idiot....

I was raised JW, so, I never had to recite the pledge....I think it's moot. Arabic is not the language of any significant portion of the population of Afghanistan and not all Iraqis speak Arabic. Syrians, Egyptians and Libyans exist that are on "our side" (whatever that's even supposed to mean). I guess it'd be like going to war with Christians and being shocked by the pledge being said in Liturgical Latin.

People (Parents) will pick the oddest things to get frazzled over, the things that are least grounded in objective reality and based on empiricism.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join