It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fuel price calculator: How much do you pay?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
There's currently a bit of an argument going on in the UK as to fuel prices..

A study of the UK petrol and diesel market by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has said little action is needed.

www.bbc.co.uk...
It's featured on the news for a couple of days now and today the BBC have decided to compose a little fuel calculator..

It even works out how much you would pay to fill your car if ther were no tasx added to the price..

For myself, driving a 1991 SAAB 9000 CSE 2.3 to fill my tank costs approx. £86.46

Without tax it would cost me £34.00

50 quid in tax.. and people think it's the oil companies that are the rip off merchants???

The calculator has options for almost every country and changes the currency to suit ..

Have a go and let us know..
www.bbc.co.uk...

It appears that Venezuela has the cheapest petrol (gas) on the planet.. I would have paid £85.35 less
so there, It would cost me just over £1.00 to fill my tank...

Might be cheaper for us all to move there than run a car for a year elsewhere

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

At least most of your cars over there in the UK get fifty miles per gallon with plenty of power. Our vehicles get 29 MPG because of the governments emission controls. I ask, how can there be less emissions if you are burning almost twice as much fuel?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

That might be true for some of the more modern cars here in the Uk.. but mine is a '91 and does about the same as your getting. I can get less in towns/cities and do get more on motorways.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm in Bulgaria so according to the calculator a full tank for a medium sized car = 139 Levs, which is £60.

Without the tax is 77 Levs = £33.

The big difference here though is that the average wage is about 490 Levs or £215 PER MONTH
This makes petrol a VERY expensive necessity.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Last time I was over in London (about 2004, I guess) I wondered about the high prices for gas, I think it was about 2.80 Pound, which was about twice the price over here.

Now, we pay more than in the UK. I seriously don't know, but the taxes have not risen that much, therefore it must be the raw gas price..

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Used to be diesel was cheap. But back in the day diesels were woefully underpowered. Now we've got decent powered turbodiesels, the price has rocketed and the efficiency bonus over petrol has been eaten up in tax. In fact cost per mile its probably cheaper to drive a petrol car than a diesel now.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Why would people be surprised by the outcome from this government funded quango (The office for fair trading)?

Just more lies and deceit at our expense to cover the 90% tax we pay on fuel.
edit on 30/1/2013 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hmm. Just noticed something with this calculator... Where are the Arabian countries on the list??

According to this site Saudi Arabia prices are an incredible €0.16 per litre, only outdone by Venezuela and Iran.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I drive a 2004 Subaru WRX STI and I only get about 18 MPG. With gas prices @ $3.72 a gallon (for premium) it is a costly venture for me to drive 70 miles to and from work daily......Yeah gas prices suck, but I love my car!!

What are the other options? A Prius....No thanks I will keep my 300HP 300ft lbs of torque and have fun driving!!

Although $1.12 to fill my tank in Venezuela makes me kinda want to move there.....

edit on 1/30/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
if you want a laugh, try this link to see how much fuel is in your country compared to other countries.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManFromEurope
Last time I was over in London (about 2004, I guess) I wondered about the high prices for gas, I think it was about 2.80 Pound, which was about twice the price over here.

Now, we pay more than in the UK. I seriously don't know, but the taxes have not risen that much, therefore it must be the raw gas price..

Is that per gallon or per litre? It's never been that much per litre, not even in London. Average prices now are about £1.35/l (was 78p in 2004)for petrol and £1.42/l for diesel. Multiply by 4.54 for price of gallon in £ and multiply that by 1.58 for the price of a gallon in $. We call it taking the piss.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
if you want a laugh, try this link to see how much fuel is in your country compared to other countries.

wow...only the wealthy in europe can drive a half-way decent car....but, on the bright side, you're financing all of those islamic, western-hating middle eastern countries, while paying to protect their flow of fuel with blood and money....oil companies have got you by the "twig and berries" and yet everyone says that it's a free-market sector....hahahahaha (head thrown back in laughter)
edit on 30-1-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by threewisemonkeys
Used to be diesel was cheap. But back in the day diesels were woefully underpowered. Now we've got decent powered turbodiesels, the price has rocketed and the efficiency bonus over petrol has been eaten up in tax. In fact cost per mile its probably cheaper to drive a petrol car than a diesel now.

That and the high cost of insuring these diesel cars.. apparently, the high price is/was due to them always being stolen.. now there's so many it's almost pointless stealing them.. so why has the insurance cost not come down?

Never had a diesel... never will.. unless it's a tractor..
Don't see many diesel motorbikes either..

Perhaps Harley can come up with a good combo?

And let's not forget the carconegen issue with diesel either.. and the soot left behind by them.. filthy things.

It's incredible really..we moan and complaign about the price of fuel.. but the overall cost (to health and planet) are not really discussed as much.. but that's for another thread somewhere..

There was a time when I could fill my old MKIII Ford Capri up for about £10... which was 58 litres.. just a bit smaller than the saab..and could do a 200 mile trip on that.. but now..£30 a week is just my daily commute..

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

They didn't have Canada listed. How could they forget Canada?!

Oh well. Every province has a different rate. And every province is different from south to north.
97 cents a litre Is what I pay right now, and it's probably mostly taxes.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Ever notice that countries with a very high tax on gasoline also have Universal Health Care system?

No such thing as a free lunch.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
That and the high cost of insuring these diesel cars.. apparently, the high price is/was due to them always being stolen.. now there's so many it's almost pointless stealing them.. so why has the insurance cost not come down?

No joke. Our last premium doubled for a 2.0l hdi, and that was with 6 years ncd.

Never had a diesel... never will.. unless it's a tractor..

A few years ago I would have agreed. But a week ago it was our old girl jump starting the sad old petrols and pulling them out of whatever pile of snow they'd steered into. Diesels often have heavier duty batteries, breaks and suspension too meaning they will often still be going long after their petrol brethren have been resigned to the scrappy.

And let's not forget the carconegen issue with diesel either.. and the soot left behind by them.. filthy things.

This isn't really the case any more. At least not for newer more efficient and cleaner burning diesel engines. Still, there's plenty of dirty old busses and transits on the road so I'll half concede the point.

There was a time when I could fill my old MKIII Ford Capri up for about £10... which was 58 litres.. just a bit smaller than the saab..and could do a 200 mile trip on that.. but now..£30 a week is just my daily commute..

I had an 83 civic (on a y plate). Cost me 300 quid fully comp and a tenner petrol would last a week. Then this was 1994. Oddly enough I swapped it for a Saab 9000 but the 2.0 16v Turbo. Best car I ever owned.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It's price fixing all around.
The oil companies buying and stockpiling on tankers, that sit at anchor waiting for the price to go up before heading off to their destinations and offloading. The speculators pushing Middle Eastern war stories to try to bump up the trading price, and of course the treasury moving the goalposts all the time on taxation.

I remember seeing a report some time ago, stating that fuel consumption in the UK, over the 2011/2012 winter (I think) had dropped considerably. So much so that it cost the treasury an estimated £690Million in lost revenue.

See, that's the problem, the government, in it's endless pushing of "green" initiatives, keeps moving the goalposts when it comes to taxation. They set emissions targets, which the manufacturers reach or exceed. The upshot being that more and more vehicles are now more fuel efficient with lower emissions, thus the treasury lose even more money, both from fuel duty AND excise duty (car tax). Surely, you'd have thought (or at least hoped) that someone in the government would have seen the inevitable consequences when they set the targets? There again, when did any government ever look past the next election cycle?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Nice find S&F.

For my Focus TDI it would cost £89.40 to fill, £37.20 without tax.
i pay £5.43 more on average than the rest of the country.
i used to run it on vegtable oil at about £1.00 per litre but the price of veg oil per litre is now the same as diesel per litre, so theres no point.
edit on 30-1-2013 by christafinias because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

You might find this of some interest.

Petrol and Diesel Prices, House of Commons Report 2012

3.1 Pre-Budget Report 2008 VAT cut and duty increase VAT was cut from 17.5% to 15% in the 2008 Pre-Budget Report and petrol and diesel duty were increased by 2 pence per litre. It was announced that:1

…the cost of petrol and diesel will fall for private motorists who should see no increase in the price they pay at the pump this year from this measure.

The net effect of these changes depends on the underlying pre-tax price of petrol and diesel as these determine VAT yield per litre. Higher pre-tax prices increase the VAT yield and vice versa. The net effect of the cut in VAT and 2 pence increase in duty was to slightly increase the tax on a litre of petrol in early 2008, but as prices increased the net effect was to cut it for the rest of the year by an average of 0.25 pence per litre. The net effect on diesel was a small cut for the whole year. The VAT cut was temporary; it returned to 17.5% at the end of the year. The duty increase was not reversed there were further increases in April and September 2009.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
and don't forget the proposal to change the emission limits for the London congestion charge.

they are planning to change the limit (currently 100g/km) to cars that emit less than 75g/km.
I don't think there are currently any cars that emit less than that (unless electric only).

more details here

this story (if true) will make a lot of Prius owners sick.
The government thinks it can reap in yet more cash but they are not looking at the bigger picture.

The government doing things like this really shows that the 'going green' initiative is just a load of bollericks

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join