It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fuel price calculator: How much do you pay?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
£89.46 for me. That is why I've never actually seen the needle on my petrol gauge go past the halfway mark

My fuel economy is terrible too because I do a heck of a lot of city driving, I think the average speed reading on my computer is usually around 12 mph
and the fuel economy is around 22mpg.

That's even taking into account my attempts at hypermiling when I do actually get onto a motorway. I tend to tuck myself in behind a truck and can get around 60mpg depending on how brave I am feeling

edit on 30/1/13 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

It's a prime example of the blatant money grabbing by the government and it's lackeys.
The London Congestion Charge may have deterred some people from driving in, but was always just a revenue generator, nothing more. Once again though, as more people started using hybrids and other low emission vehicles that granted them an exemption, so the goalposts will then be moved to make them all pay again.

In the meantime, lets increase air traffic at Heathrow airport! I have often wondered how much nasty stuff gets deposited over central London by all those low level flights as they come and go into Heathrow, or would they tell us that the jet engines all run clean with little or no emissions?

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I get on average 50mpg to a full tank regardless how I drive the car.

A full tank costs me around £60 and lasts around 440 to 460 miles but then it is a puny tank at 42 litres.

Tyre pressures and outside temperature seem to effect the fuel economy more than how I drive the car.

The worst economy I have had (averaged over a tank full) is 46mpg and the best I have had is 56mpg so it's not bad.

The car is a 1.5L diesel engine with 107bhp and 176ft/lb of torque so it pulls like a train.
edit on 30/1/2013 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

I think the average speed reading on my computer is usually around 12 mph

That's about the average for London..

Originally posted by Britguy

In the meantime, lets increase air traffic at Heathrow airport! I have often wondered how much nasty stuff gets deposited over central London by all those low level flights as they come and go into Heathrow, or would they tell us that the jet engines all run clean with little or no emissions?

don't forget the fuel dumps before landing..

Aircraft have two major types of weight limits: the maximum takeoff weight and the maximum structural landing weight, with the maximum structural landing weight almost always being the lower of the two. This allows an aircraft on a normal, routine flight to take off at the higher weight, consume fuel en route, and arrive at a lower weight. There are other variables involving takeoff and landing weights, but they are omitted from this article for the sake of simplicity.

en.wikipedia.org...

Originally posted by diddy1234
Tyre pressures and outside temperature seem to effect the fuel economy more than how I drive the car.

The car is a 1.5L diesel engine with 107bhp and 176ft/lb of torque so it pulls like a train.

I bet you commute on a train and you're trying to make everyone jealous on your fuel consumption

but seriously...tyre pressures are important.. not so much on a train though..
And yes, air temperature does have an affect on performance..

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Interesting they have some backwater countries there but not Canada?

Anyway, the amount of tax varies from Province to Province, but in BC it's about 0.37 a liter (which included a 0.07 cent carbon tax)

Right now gas is sitting at $1.10/liter so approx. 34% of the price is tax

The tax rates are absurd. We have all kinds of stupid taxes in Canada. If you want to sell your USED vehicle to someone in BC for example, the buyer has to pay SST ("social service tax") of 7% on the purchase price.

There are ways around that obviously... unlike getting forced to bend over at the pump.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
It tells me I pay .64 more than average. But, this is Illinois and state taxes are farkin' crazy.

To fill your tank you pay: $60.30 You pay $0.64 more than average in your country Without tax, you would only pay $53.64 Most expensive In Netherlands you would pay $99.30 more Cheapest In Venezuela you would pay $58.47 less Share your results Share Facebook Twitter

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

They didn't have Canada listed. How could they forget Canada?!

Oh well. Every province has a different rate. And every province is different from south to north.
97 cents a litre Is what I pay right now, and it's probably mostly taxes.

c'mon canada?...you have great people, great healthcare, great hockey, all kinds of space, oil up the ying yang, great skiing, none of the our US political BS, no enemies, no raging viral infections, no tornados, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, well, except in vancover, but most of you don't like them anyway...the only thing that isn't great up in canada is you have no tropical sunny beaches

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Just done this for my girlfriends 1.3 Ford KA

It costs £58.96

Without tax it would cost £23.32

And in Venezuela i would pay £58.22 less apparently

The Government has been ripping everyone off for too long. Something has to change it ain't fair on people who have to commute to work. They tax us on our wages, then over tax us to get there. Outrageous.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Snoopie

yup... sure does look like the issue has to be laid squarely at the feet of the governments tax levels.

They know they're onto a winner..

Really makes you wonder why they put so much tax on petrol seeing as we, in the UK, have to pay road tax too..
and that keeps rising as well ..

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by snowspirit

They didn't have Canada listed. How could they forget Canada?!

Oh well. Every province has a different rate. And every province is different from south to north.
97 cents a litre Is what I pay right now, and it's probably mostly taxes.

c'mon canada?...you have great people, great healthcare, great hockey, all kinds of space, oil up the ying yang, great skiing, none of the our US political BS, no enemies, no raging viral infections, no tornados, no hurricanes, no earthquakes, well, except in vancover, but most of you don't like them anyway...the only thing that isn't great up in canada is you have no tropical sunny beaches

Actually where I am it's hotter in the summer than it is in California, and we have plenty of killer beaches

As far as whom you were responding to: at 0.97 cents a liter he must be in Ontario. That's on average 25 cents a liter less than what many people in BC are paying which equates to almost $13 more to fill a 50 L tank.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

97 cents is Alberta. Gas and oil province. I saw it as low as 88 cents a couple of weeks ago. At the same time, the north is over $1. More the further north you go.

BC means Bring Cash.
I used to live in Vancouver. Expensive place.

And you're right about some of our beaches. Oosoyos (sp?) even has the small desert, complete with little scorpions, and hot hot hot beaches. Some very beautiful places around the Okanagan area.
edit on 30-1-2013 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
My 1997 Peugeot Diesel estate costs £78 to fill up but with no tax it would be £33.
I've kept this old workhorse on the road because she doesn't have much in the likes of electronics/turbo/cat converter etc and will run on cooking oil without any modifications.

I used to do a 50/50 mix when cooking oil was cheap but now cooking oil prices are pretty much the same in supermarkets as diesel is at garages I haven't bothered - Is this a conspiracy in itself I've wondered? Did the government realise a potential loss and have a sly chat with food oil producers?!

There are a few bulk suppliers of cooking oil serving the food retailer industries (fast food joints etc) in my area and their prices are a lot cheaper though, so if diesel continues to rise I may start buying a few barrels.
edit on 30-1-2013 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I drive a mitsubishi GTO
To fill the babe up would be £116.58 without tax it would be £46.11
(But she's worth it
You can't put a price on fun
And the wife can't drive her so the focus (boooooooooooooring) stays nice and clean for tesco's

S&F for you Autotrader for me

edit on 30-1-2013 by cody599 because: Addition

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I love my car and I love owning a car but I will be driving it to the scrap yard in 2 months because I have decided enough is enough,not just the fuel cost but insurance,tax etc it is bleeding me of money and I won't be participating in the scam any longer I will have to take the bus from now on or the occasional taxi.

The government is pushing the boundaries of our tolerance,in the end their going to be losing more money because more people like me with throw in the towel.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by amurphy245
I love my car and I love owning a car but I will be driving it to the scrap yard in 2 months because I have decided enough is enough,not just the fuel cost but insurance,tax etc it is bleeding me of money
Have you got any friends who don't have a car and would be interested in a part share idea? The added driver on the insurance is usually a tiny amount and if you come to a decent arrangement with each other, the tax and MOT dates become a lot easier to handle. I've been doing this with a good mate of mine for a year or two now

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Ever notice that countries with a very high tax on gasoline also have Universal Health Care system?

No such thing as a free lunch.

Almost every country in the world has universal health care, even Iraq (funded by the Americans) In-fact, America is the only country I know of without universal health care.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Seriously? Latvia is on there, the US, Venezuela, but not Canada? C'mon! This is the BBC?!?
Anyways, $1.17 per litre here. Which is .86 Euro per litre

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I have no idea why they did not show Canada... mind you, that tends to happen for almost everything over here..
you never really get to see/know what's going on inCanada.. Perhaps it's so the British do not discover it and decide to move..

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

been on the trains, sorry i mean rich boys toy when i was working in london and that was a joke.

never had a seat and always berried in someones armpit.
at the height of summer it could get a bit stinky!

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Yup so we have the North Sea and the UK is basicaly the second most expensive country to buy fuel in.

Venezuela would cost me 50p for a full tank.

No wonder we kept trying to kill Chavez lol, think of all the potential profits he is wasting

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join