It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School bus driver shot, 6-year-old taken hostage in Dale County (Update)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   

School bus driver shot, 6-year-old taken hostage in Dale County (Update)

www.abc3340.com

A driver of a school bus in Dale County was shot several times, and a 6-year-old student passenger has been taken as a hostage by the suspected shooter near Midland City
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Wow shot and killed the school bus driver and took a 6 year old hostage

Update:

ABC 33/40 has learned that the bus driver has died from gunshot wounds sustained during the incident.

According to a report from DothanEagle.com, the shooter has been identified as Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, who was arrested on December 22 for pulling a gun on a man and charged with menacing

www.abc3340.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Why is the breaking alternative news?

It's standard normal news.

Stop posting every single shooting and perhaps there might be less?

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
BREAKING NEWS!

Also on ABC news at 10....

In the gun control capital of the USA where law abiding citizens cannot carry defensive arms and handguns are ILLEGAL, we have our 40th Murder of the month. Thank god for gun control in Chicago.

Chicago reaches 40 homicides in January
Tuesday, January 29, 2013

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=8971617

Chicago has for years tried to cut off the flow of guns. It has what city officials have called the strictest handgun ordinance in the U.S. But police officials say more needs to be done and that penalties for violating gun laws should be stiffer.

edit on 29-1-2013 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

yeah you are right If we dont post them here on ats there probably just gonna stop happening..

cmon man

I mean a school bus driver on a school bus full of kids is shot and killed, and one of the 6 year olds is taken hostage, and held up in a bunker with this crazy mofo

and this isnt news worthy?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Please excuse my ignorance, but if this is 'standard normal news' to you folk over the pond, then God help you all!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I can already see the NRA's response:

ARM THE SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS!!!!!!!

ARM THE STUDENTS!!!!!

ARM THE LIFEGUARDS AT THE YMCA!!!!!!!!

ARM THE ZOOKEEPERS!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Breaking news, while hard to define.... ultimately comes down to the readers preference. Some may say, "oh hey, did ya hear that some celebrity just did... blah whatdiddydo blahblah?" Yeah?

For some reason, news sells and that which makes the brain melting news rounds nearly every day in various locations here in the USA while the "whodathunkit" crimes, get vaulted to the top... only because of sensationalism. Is it propaganda? Is it hype, or possibly just trying to keep ratings and shape views?

Honestly, I think it's a matter of all three.

This whole deal is exactly one of those "whodathunkit" kinda crazy things. Is it worth paying attention to? Nothing wrong with situational awareness, methinks.

Here is a
Link
for the scanner audio feed, just in case some are interested.

edit on 13/1/29 by telemetry because: added link

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
As of 11:50 p.m. Tuesday, the suspect has yet to surrender to police or release the child as the standoff continues in Midland City.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
www.wsfa.com...

As of 11:00pm, authorities were communicating with the suspect via a PVC pipe connected to the bunker. The child is said to be "okay", but authorities remain cautious, calling it a "delicate" situation.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
this is still goin on that poor kid must be terrified

more at this link
www.wsfa.com...

Michael Senn, a local minister, says his church owns the building occupied by Destiny Church, though it's currently being rented by another congregation. He said while he was not on the scene when the incident happened, he spoke with several of the children a short time later.

Senn said one girl told him that the man who got on-board told most of the students to get off the bus. He then grabbed a young boy and shot the bus driver four times.

edit on 30-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Does any American member know if this kid is ok,if the shooter has been arrested? Im sitting watching my own 6yr old play with his Legos. And i absolutely agree that incidents like this should be reported-hiding it helps no one.I am not American,but i absolutely support the right of any law-abiding citizen to have at least one gun.Everyone should have the right to defend themselves and their loved ones.Here is where a right comes with responsibility,maybe even a duty,though.And face facts-there will always be those among us who choose to not obey the law,or a normally sane,law-abiding citizen "snaps"due to stress,depression,whatever.Like you,i support the right to defend myself from these people-but either way,there Will be victims-and having to live with the mention of the innocent victims of living in a heavily armed society,is only decent.You can not have your cake and eat it.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
As of now the killer/kidnapper is still in homemade bunker with the 6 yr old boy
Boy needs daily meds and have been sent into the bunker.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Adding this link to other thread about this so the posts aren't wasted, for it puts a whole other concept behind the event.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 30-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotsdavy1

Please excuse my ignorance, but if this is 'standard normal news' to you folk over the pond, then God help you all!

It's not standard and normal. I am just as disgusted with that comment as you are. This poor baby is STILL being held by that man in that underground bunker. I have been praying for him all last night. The man is nuts. He's one of those 'survivalists' types according to his own neighbors. It's just horrific what we have become as a society.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
anyone else think this part is a little strange and a little too familiar?

Mike Creel, who said the suspect was his neighbor, told the local Dothan Eagle newspaper he spoke to some of the shaken children. “I talked to a girl that was riding the bus, and she told me that he came on the bus and said, ‘I need two kids between the ages of 6 and 8,’” Creel said.

www.nydailynews.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

wow poor kid
www.wsfa.com...

Authorities close to the investigation have identified the alleged gunman in yesterday's Midland City school bus shooting and abduction as Jimmy Lee Dykes.

Authorities are on the scene of a possible bus driver shot and child hostage situation at this hour in Midland City. That's located in South Alabama.More >>

Authorities also told WSFA 12 News that the abducted child has a medical condition, and that they were able to get medicine to the child this morning in the bunker where he is still being held.

Rhonda Wilbur, a neighbor of Dykes, told WSFA 12 News, "The neighbor has been for a long time a source of concern. He killed one of my dogs and I had animal cruelty people out then, and he has been a source of interest for a long time, because he has been like a time bomb waiting to go off."

Earlier today the Dale County Sheriffs Department confirmed the identity of the slain school bus driver as 66-year-old Charles Albert Poland, Jr, who has been with the Dale County Board of Education as a bus driver since 2009. Mr. Poland was acting in his official duties when he was fatally shot.

The child remains the victim of a hostage situation, having spent hours in an underground bunker with Dykes, who took him from a school bus Tuesday afternoon after fatally wounding
t

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
How the hell did he get in the bus?
I pray for the poor child...and this old crack pot can rot in hell.

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

the shooter has been identified as Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, who was arrested on December 22 for pulling a gun on a man and charged with menacing.

Another power tripping idiot...
They should have taken his gun rights away on Dec. 22.

(HIS, not everyone's!)

posted on Jan, 30 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

I disagree. I pray that God help all you Brits. If I was a disarmed citizen of a grossly overpopulated, tiny, frigid little post-industrial polluted and decimated island, and supplicant to a monarchy which has spent centuries making enemies of every culture on the entire planet, I would be terrified. Please God, protect the poor Brits.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join