It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bronx School Goes Into Lockdown Over Nerf Gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
BREAKING News out of Bronx, New York.

A Bronx school went into lockdown this morning after a campus aide overheard a student talking about his gun -- a toy gun it turned out, officials said. The lockdown was called off after an hour and no weapon was found at PS 54, on Fulton Avenue and East 174th Street, officials said.

FULL STORY

Hello Kitty was first. Now Nerf guns. Guaranteed finger shooting is going the way of the Assault Rifle...

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MrKnoxx

That "aide" should be fired and jailed for inciting this panic....

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MrKnoxx

Well, in the schools defense they had total irrefutable lock-tite reason to do so:

A campus aide reported hearing a student say “something about a gun,” a law enforcement source said.

"Think of the children" can only excuse so much insanity.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The knee-jerk zero-tolerance reactions to EVERYTHING that could possibly be ANY form of gun are getting old. The other one recently where a girl had brought in a piece of paper that was ripped to vaguely resemble a pistol takes the cake IMHO.

/the bubble gun girl and the kid suspended for pointing his finger are asinine as well.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I agree, its an overreaction. But what would you expect a school to do? They have to take any threats, no matter how asinine, seriously. Otherwise we'd be reading about a school official who didn't call for a lockdown.

Better safe than sorry. And in a lockdown situation, classes continue. We go right on teaching, the kids generally don't know. At least thats how it is at my school.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

I agree, its an overreaction. But what would you expect a school to do? They have to take any threats, no matter how asinine, seriously.

There was no threat.

I understand the need to take a threat seriously.

Overhearing some kid talking about a thing is not a threat.

Imagine if every time some kids started in about Call of Duty or some other war game a paranoid staff member calls for a lockdown.

OMG, Little Stevie over there was going on about blowing up cars and Uzi's and all these other kids, who must be part of his Jihadi terror cell, were laughing and telling similar stories!! OMG!!

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

edit on 29-1-2013 by trollz because: nevermind

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I remember cops roughing up kids that were simply taking their Nintendo Entertainment System guns to friends houses....they're bright orange! Can't help but think this teacher is a moron.

How hard would it have been to simply pull those student aside and figure out what is going on? But, that seems to be the problem with cases like this that involve the youth. People don't want to be proactive, they want to be reactive...it's ridiculous.

Fear is a powerful enemy indeed.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MmmPie

People don't want to be proactive, they want to be reactive...it's ridiculous.

Either they dont want to or they are explicitly prohibited from taking any sort of action due to policy and procedure.

It's not a stretch to say an administrator would rather lock the school down and deal with SWAT teams roaming the halls and terrifying hundreds of parents rather than risk being sued or fired for calling out one single kid for questioning.

The gross over reaction is seen as reasonable and most parents will be glad it occurred while the more level headed reaction will be seen as overbearing, intrusive and even assaulting toward the child and the child parents at which point every other parent will identify the child as their own and be equally offended.

Everyone is stupid.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I have long thought the world was stupid, and its only getting more stupid by the day today its finger guns, and nerf guns.

Imagine the stupidity we will hear about tomorrow.

posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GMan420
The knee-jerk zero-tolerance reactions to EVERYTHING that could possibly be ANY form of gun are getting old. The other one recently where a girl had brought in a piece of paper that was ripped to vaguely resemble a pistol takes the cake IMHO.

/the bubble gun girl and the kid suspended for pointing his finger are asinine as well.

I dunno... Usually it's better to err on the side of caution. A test for a disease like AIDS or even pregnancy has a much higher chance of causing a false positive because the alternative is to let things go untreated.

A false positive for a gun scare just leaves people feeling stupid instead of dead. I'd rather people just feel stupid. Trust me, I think that this is even necessary is pretty stupid, but like smyleegrl said, what do expect people to do? I've said it before, but government is definitely a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. You can't please all of the people all of time.

new topics

top topics

join