Venezuela Is Struggling With A Historic Food Shortage

page: 1
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
www.businessinsider.com...


Miriam Villae never knows what she'll find on the shelves of her grocery store in the Venezuela capital these days. Chances are it's not much. As the oil-rich country grapples with the highest food shortage in four years, the 62-year-old grandmother and many others like her are being forced to make do without staples like flour and butter. Read more: pixel.newscred.com... T1lNGM5YzRiZS0zMzBiLTQ5MDktOTNhMy02OTY3MmU5ZDkyZTEmcHVibGlzaGVyPThjMDBmYmVlNjFkNWJjZjBjNjA5MmQ4YjkyZWJiY2Ex#ixzz2JHnhb08u


The government, which earlier this year launched a plan to prevent shortages and introduced price controls in 2003, blames the bare shelves on an increase in consumption -- along with hoarding by producers and speculators.

Yes, that's right, the food shortages are because people are buying food and hoarding. Poor people suddenly have the money to go out and buy food to hoard. Once again a diversion to keep the real culprits from being exposed.
Most believe the corps are slowing the food shipments to drive the government into releasing the price fix which allows the poor to eat.

the government alleges that the private sector is trying to force an increase in prices and a devaluation of the official exchange rate.
"They have proposed that prices be freed, that foreign exchange controls be ended and that state-owned enterprises be privatized," Vice President Nicolas Maduro




posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
The whole world is going to experience a food shortage shortly. We have to start treating our planet and it's other inhabitants with respect and quit wasting. This planet can supply what we need but not what we want. This form of capitalism is bad.



posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
When you Introduce price control on any goods, you will eventually run into the problem of shortages. Take a look at the 1970’s oil embargo. The united states instituted price control on fuel. Because prices were fixed and not allowed to rise due to shortages of supply, we ended up having a nationwide fuel shortage. If you allowed the price to rise, it would discourage people from buy more then they need.



posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
www.businessinsider.com...


Miriam Villae never knows what she'll find on the shelves of her grocery store in the Venezuela capital these days. Chances are it's not much. As the oil-rich country grapples with the highest food shortage in four years, the 62-year-old grandmother and many others like her are being forced to make do without staples like flour and butter. Read more: pixel.newscred.com... T1lNGM5YzRiZS0zMzBiLTQ5MDktOTNhMy02OTY3MmU5ZDkyZTEmcHVibGlzaGVyPThjMDBmYmVlNjFkNWJjZjBjNjA5MmQ4YjkyZWJiY2Ex#ixzz2JHnhb08u


The government, which earlier this year launched a plan to prevent shortages and introduced price controls in 2003, blames the bare shelves on an increase in consumption -- along with hoarding by producers and speculators.

Yes, that's right, the food shortages are because people are buying food and hoarding. Poor people suddenly have the money to go out and buy food to hoard. Once again a diversion to keep the real culprits from being exposed.
Most believe the corps are slowing the food shipments to drive the government into releasing the price fix which allows the poor to eat.

the government alleges that the private sector is trying to force an increase in prices and a devaluation of the official exchange rate.
"They have proposed that prices be freed, that foreign exchange controls be ended and that state-owned enterprises be privatized," Vice President Nicolas Maduro


When you sell your soul to socialism and communism life becomes much more simple and less complicated, because the government will take care of your basic needs. Kind of like taking care of farm animals, you don't waste good food and resources on the animals, especially if they are not producing much...and there is no incentive for people to produce anything so everyone has to do with less or without.



posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by winterkill
www.businessinsider.com...


Miriam Villae never knows what she'll find on the shelves of her grocery store in the Venezuela capital these days. Chances are it's not much. As the oil-rich country grapples with the highest food shortage in four years, the 62-year-old grandmother and many others like her are being forced to make do without staples like flour and butter. Read more: pixel.newscred.com... T1lNGM5YzRiZS0zMzBiLTQ5MDktOTNhMy02OTY3MmU5ZDkyZTEmcHVibGlzaGVyPThjMDBmYmVlNjFkNWJjZjBjNjA5MmQ4YjkyZWJiY2Ex#ixzz2JHnhb08u


The government, which earlier this year launched a plan to prevent shortages and introduced price controls in 2003, blames the bare shelves on an increase in consumption -- along with hoarding by producers and speculators.

Yes, that's right, the food shortages are because people are buying food and hoarding. Poor people suddenly have the money to go out and buy food to hoard. Once again a diversion to keep the real culprits from being exposed.
Most believe the corps are slowing the food shipments to drive the government into releasing the price fix which allows the poor to eat.

the government alleges that the private sector is trying to force an increase in prices and a devaluation of the official exchange rate.
"They have proposed that prices be freed, that foreign exchange controls be ended and that state-owned enterprises be privatized," Vice President Nicolas Maduro



[/quote

Hello there,
thats a big BS i am a foreigner and live in venezuela and i have a company here,
the all problem why food prices is rising is goverment control of money exchange.
nobody knows where the petrodollars go.....

thats it,

peace,
e



posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by winterkill
 


There is no investment beside the one that comes from China or the other neocomunist country's.
So Chavez has taken private assets from Enterprises and Individuals. So there is no interests in investing when the government can arbitrary take it from you. The Venezuelan people can't buy the same things they could 5 years ago with an inflation form 20% to 30%.







Shortages because ther is no production anymore. Venezuela imports to much and the ones that could produce have left the country.



posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I say screw the private corporations who refuse to produce because their profit is not enough. Let's just end their misery in these "hard times" and put them out of business. Put the means of production into the hands of the people that consume that production. I's the only thing that will work long term. We can no longer let the bloodsuckers control everything to the demise of the majority.



posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
It always becomes a left and right battle, just like the controllers want so people don't get rid of them. And I don't mean a revolution is needed. I don't know if its because we are programmed to distrust each other so much, or to want to blame others so refuse to work locally with them, or whether most people lack a kind of intelligence, not necessarily IQ itself, that makes them want to solve problems and recreate a better world, starting out locally, OR whether those who have jobs and some security feel so threatened they can't associate themselves with this activity or they would be fired.

Its not a left or right battle, there are principles in both camps that are correct and abuses in both camps that harm.
It seems here, whenever we get left or right in, we see more of the abuse side than the positive sides in play.

I really hope those in South America, like those in the rest of the world do something different for a change, because we can. Not everyone can. They do tend to herd those desperate for income and jobs, and services into the cities and often into small apartments.

But if enough people who have back yards, they don't even need farms, could do this, and share with those in apartments, if there was good will amongst people, this could be overcome. If people really started to think its Us or Them, and started to work as if they were a kind of government.

affnan-aquaponics.blogspot.ca...
Affnan's Aquaponics
Help Us Go Green, Together We Can Do It..



Introduction to Home Aquaponics


How We Built Our Aquaponic System - Mom'sDIY.com

I now have a folder several gigabytes on this.

Not to buy a system, but recycle things.

Tilipia is one of the easiest fish to use, they are sturdy and grow fast, tolerate many water temps and mix well with catfish (which aren't muddy tasting in aquaponics) and even shrimp at the bottom. Don't know if they mix well with crayfish, but they can be used. There are others of course, but this has real advantage.

I want to see people gaining in creating something better.

There are many who are in need of services. Collectivity is a good thing, but so is free enterprise, not monopolies. Ethical businesses. There are many kept from contributing or working at ethical businesses in this world.

Its not right or left, and people arent meant to be slaves to the system, but that doesnt mean we shouldn't be creating our own work.

Maybe we need to see how effective we are at coming up with solutions rather than being forced down channels and dancing to the bidding and goals of others?



posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Now aquaponics takes little water, it recycles and the cleans the water so it doesnt just stagnate and have to be refilled.

It requires no soil, and is good for all kinds of conditions.

Couple it with heritage seeds, non GMO, year round, and save them. Share with others and help everyone set it up.

I wish those who do have more, and could be helping their neighbors get set up, or their communities, would start to do so.

That is what its going to take.

I wish more people would look around at the problems affecting their communities and even countries and see them as opportunities, not to take, but to give.

California has already outlawed tilipia, if people succeed in spreading this, they'll soon start clamping down on this. So not only does it take doing things in your backyards and garages to help your neighborhoods, and getting local groups. But those local counsels have to stamp down on ordinances that will suddenly come up to suppress the empowerment of people. All of these are opportunities to flex your own hidden problem solving and diplomacy and administration skills yourself, its our children that benefit from having adults participating in their communities and overturning corrupt ordinances and recreating independence and inherent rights to land and resources, without slavery, and yet, also recreating free enterprise and positive businesses.

This is an opportunity for all people.

The problem with it is it was deemed an invasive fish. However with rules about introducing it into nature, and keeping it for farming, this can be managed. And there are other fishes, but some of them are much trickier and require a year of growing and cold water, so cooling the water then heating it.



edit on 28-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 





When you Introduce price control on any goods, you will eventually run into the problem of shortages. Take a look at the 1970’s oil embargo. The united states instituted price control on fuel. Because prices were fixed and not allowed to rise due to shortages of supply, we ended up having a nationwide fuel shortage. If you allowed the price to rise, it would discourage people from buy more then they need.


Malaysia has price control on many basic items (fuel included) and doesnt seem to have any issues with supply shortages.
All prices are reviewed yearly and if necessary the gov puts up the price, I dont think a basic loaf of bread has gone up in 4 years



posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I, as some of you know, work in a grocery store. And even though this is different, when something goes on sale for too low of a price, it's pointless, because The warehouse, and distributor completely runs out of it. The shelf will sit empty until a few days after the sale ends.

At the same time, there is only so much shelf spaces, and back room space, The cheaper you make something, the more one person will buy. Make something cheap enough, one customer buys the entire shelf.

Combine a good sale, with an even better manufacturers coupon and you get the Ragu incident that happened a while ago, sold out for weeks, as people got Free jars left and right.

There are definitly people out there that learned from that Extreme Coupon show, They nail us all the time. Also If you notice all the pop is always gone when your store puts it on a really low sale, then most likely an Arab convienence store owner bought them ALL. They will buy 4 U-Boats worth, take it to their store and overcharge for it, making serious profit.
edit on 29-1-2013 by Mikeyy because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
I say screw the private corporations who refuse to produce because their profit is not enough. Let's just end their misery in these "hard times" and put them out of business. Put the means of production into the hands of the people that consume that production. I's the only thing that will work long term. We can no longer let the bloodsuckers control everything to the demise of the majority.


your so misguided, The government introduced price control, this is what happens when you have price control, shortages pop up. It’s the socialist governments fault
edit on 29-1-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikeyy
I, as some of you know, work in a grocery store. And even though this is different, when something goes on sale for too low of a price, it's pointless, because The warehouse, and distributor completely runs out of it. The shelf will sit empty until a few days after the sale ends.

At the same time, there is only so much shelf spaces, and back room space, The cheaper you make something, the more one person will buy. Make something cheap enough, one customer buys the entire shelf.

Combine a good sale, with an even better manufacturers coupon and you get the Ragu incident that happened a while ago, sold out for weeks, as people got Free jars left and right.

There are definitly people out there that learned from that Extreme Coupon show, They nail us all the time. Also If you notice all the pop is always gone when your store puts it on a really low sale, then most likely an Arab convienence store owner bought them ALL. They will buy 4 U-Boats worth, take it to their store and overcharge for it, making serious profit.
edit on 29-1-2013 by Mikeyy because: (no reason given)


Finally, people are wising up and shopping well. Or is it that they have to because our jobs are all heading overseas.



posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Somehow the US will be blamed for this and not their dear leader Hugo.



posted on Jan, 29 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
That will be here in our countries, if TPTB can help it, and so far with the strange weather this looks like a strong possibility. Now, the real solution is aquaponics for everyone, and for people to not just endure, but do something about things, and do it together. Those with tools, garages and abilities to build, start getting together and getting stuff going.

For everyone.

Always. Be proactive.

Everything has a solution, for the people by the people. Even water shortags, aquaponics uses very little water, the plants clean the water for the fish and the fish provide wonderful nutrients for the plants. And can be done on rocky terrain even.

All I see is this worsening with the frogs slowly cooking in the kettle turned on high without ever simply getting together with their neighbors and getting something done.

When we all die, imagine the shame we're going to have when the simplest ideas were right in front of us, but those who could, who had some tools and garages did nothing, period.
edit on 29-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Add to the agroponics this site I got from another thread. I was blown away with what these people grew with almost no land
urbanhomestead.org...

I watched some of the vids on this place. Boggling!



posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The whole world is going to experience a food shortage shortly. We have to start treating our planet and it's other inhabitants with respect and quit wasting. This planet can supply what we need but not what we want. This form of capitalism is bad.


Excuse me, but you don't know what in the world you are talking about... The food shortage in Venezuela is because of SOCIALISM...not because of capitalism... People like you need to learn the difference...

I find it ironic that EVERY TIME some socialist regime like Chavez's Venezeula, just like Lenin's and Stalin's Russia, just like the castro brother's Cuba, just like Mao's China, North Korea, and EVERY SOCIALIST REGIME has ALWAYS brought the same problems of not only the erosion of individual rights, but also food shortages and in general has made EVERY SINGLE COUNTRY that has allowed itself to embrace socialism or even communism a worse place to live in...

But like ALWAYS, the supporters of socialism who have NEVER IN THEIR ENTIRE LIVES experienced what socialism or even communism really is want to blame "capitalism"...


Ironic that this happens EVERY TIME, yet those who live in capitalist countries, and live better than anyone in any socialist country want to claim "socialism is great and capitalism is bad"...


Do you really want to read what FARMERS in Venezuela really have to say about what the problem is with food shortages?...


...
If there is one product that Venezuela should be able to produce in abundance it is coffee, a major crop here for centuries. Until 2009, Venezuela was a coffee exporter, but it began importing large amounts of it three years ago to make up for a decline in production.

Farmers and coffee roasters say the problem is simple: retail price controls keep profits close to or below what it costs farmers to grow and harvest the coffee. As a result, many do not invest in new plantings or fertilizer, or they cut back on the amount of land used to grow coffee. Making matters worse, the recent harvest was poor in many areas.

A group representing small- to medium-size roasters said last month that there was no domestic coffee left on the wholesale market — the earliest time of year that industry leaders could remember such supplies running out. The group announced a deal with the government to buy imported beans to keep coffee on store shelves.

Similar problems have played out with other agricultural products under price controls, like lags in production and rising imports for beef, milk and corn.
...

www.nytimes.com...

Farmers in Venezuela do nto make a "killing selling", like some of you would love to claim, but the truth of the matter is that when the government controls prices, in general they are the ones controlling the products.

A farmer can't buy more fertilizer, or seeds if the government puts controls on prices. Yet like ALWAYS, socialists and communists use these sort of tactics to make people even more dependent on government, and then take even more away from the people...

Socialism and communism are ideologies in which a few, who claim to represent the people, have control over everything.

But don't worry, the way things are the same is going to happen in every country in the world... After all, the world elites, and their brainwashed masses are demanding for a One World socialist/fascist or even communist government...

Oh and btw, look for fights for food in your nearest supermarket soon thanks to socialism...



The same thing happened in the country where I was born and where I experienced socialism/communism, yet LIKE ALWAYS, the blame has been put on capitalism and the U.S., when in fact Cuba has been doing business with countries liek Canada, and European countries, yet this NEVER helped my people...

Oh, and watch how things get worse and the socalists/communists will begin to claim that what is happening in Venezuela is not socialism...


They always do the same thing, when things ALWAYS turn for the worse under their "supreme leftwing systems", the supporters of socialism/communism claim "oh, but such and such country was never, and never had socialism/communism"...


When things don't go the way they CLAIM it should go, despite these same people proclaiming these regimes are "the best in the world at first", they change their tunes and claim "this is not socialism/communism"...


edit on 1-2-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse
 


I watched the video.

Your bias is slipping again



The video clearly states that inflation didn't start with price control. Price control was a response to an already high inflation.

What was the cause of the inflation? From the video, it states that Hugo Chavez became ill, and inflation took a hold.

That means it was speculation.

The price control mechanisms were an attempt to curb the rate of inflation, but it didn't work.


Oh and btw, look for fights for food in your nearest supermarket soon thanks to socialism...


I'm calling shennanigans. Global food insecurity is related more to climate change than anything else.

You can clearly see the rise in economic damage correlated with climate change with objective statistics, but ... you think it's all just a con
edit on 1-2-2013 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

I watched the video.

Your bias is slipping again



The video clearly states that inflation didn't start with price control. Price control was a response to an already high inflation.

What was the cause of the inflation? From the video, it states that Hugo Chavez became ill, and inflation took a hold.

That means it was speculation.

The price control mechanisms were an attempt to curb the rate of inflation, but it didn't work.




I knew somebody would fall for it...

First of all, you do have to remember that is CNN... CNN is LEFTWING, Ted Turner the owner of CNN himself has stated that his idea for CNN international came from none other than CASTRO himself, hence why they will spout their bias, and of course you CHOSE to ignore what THE FARMERS THEMSELVES have to say, such as the excerpt I gave from small to medium size roasters and farmers...

Like always, the brainwashed will listen to what they want to listen...

Listen to what the lady in that CNN video says AFTER the main CNN blond mouthpiece talks starting at 1:40... She says why there has been a price inflation, and it was started because of the GOVERNMENT PRICE CONTROLS...

BTW, since I know almost for certian you will CHOOSE to ignore, or won't even listen to what that lady has to say, she makes an example of how much money milk producers are losing every time they sell milk DUE TO THE GOVERNMENT PRICE CONTROLS... On average milk producers lose 12-13 cents every time they sell something... How do you like them apples?...

edit on 1-2-2013 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 1 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse
 


No. I didn't ignore what the farmers said. Their statement is truth.

You are lying. I watched the video. It clearly states the reasons. You are choosing to emphasize one, while denying the other.

That's known as bias.

EU fail



  exclusive video


new topics
top topics
 
6
<<   2 >>

log in

join


ATS Live After Midnight IS ON-AIR! (there are 71 minutes remaining).
AFTER MIDNIGHT: 151: You Don't Know...

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def