It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Makeshift Weapons

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghostx

Road flares and gasoline for quick escape.
Pen flares/fire works for distraction for egress. Gas with beer pong fuse in bucket of sand for cover
On egress.

Always, ALWAYS, A SLINGSHOT for hunting...saves ammo.
Escrima sticks for me. Learn how to fight with a stick (the "masters weapon") they call it in martial arts,
And you can fight with anything. Id take me with a stick vs. most with a knife any day of the week.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Or a bow for hunting. Save the fire arms ammo for anything that is trying to kill you, and actually has a good chance of doing it (i.e. you do not need a gun if a squirrel goes berzerk. Just use common sense

To Ranger40: If you are trained, then yes, a simple stick is the perfect weapon. Personally, I prefer a pair of knives, because thats what I have been trained with. Pretty much, just take what you are most comfortable with for close combat. The reason is, if you take a sword, and aren't comfortable with it, you are more likely to hurt yourself.

I.E. If I tried using the stick like Ranger, I'd probably ending up hurting myself more so than my opponent would.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
1. Homemade crossbow, easy to do.

2. Sling shot that can soot boxes full of nails, bolts, and nuts, and rocks.

3. Various chemical weapons made from common household cleaning agents.

4. PVC spears, close combat weapon for piercing.

5. PVC death pits, booby traps.

6. Various IED weapons for vehicle destruction and sabotage.

I could go on and on and on. You don't actually need to use a gun. You only need to use your brain. Invent. But, having said that, let's hope we never get to the point of a war of attrition.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ranger40
reply to post by Ghostx

Road flares and gasoline for quick escape.
Pen flares/fire works for distraction for egress. Gas with beer pong fuse in bucket of sand for cover
On egress.

Always, ALWAYS, A SLINGSHOT for hunting...saves ammo.
Escrima sticks for me. Learn how to fight with a stick (the "masters weapon") they call it in martial arts,
And you can fight with anything. Id take me with a stick vs. most with a knife any day of the week.

I practice using 3/4 inch PVC pipe the length of my body. It balances well, it's easy to use, and you can make spear points on each end. Not a good thing to meet up with, and it's tough material.

Also, two three foot PVC pipes, one in each hand makes it very painful for the poor guy trying to get at you.

edit on 5-2-2013 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I practice using 3/4 inch PVC pipe the length of my body. It balances well, it's easy to use, and you can make spear points on each end. Not a good thing to meet up with, and it's tough material. Also, two three foot PVC pipes, one in each hand makes it very painful for the poor guy trying to get at you.
reply to post by Fromabove

Many years ago I got involved in what I suppose you could call gang fights, between different schools. My favourite weapon was a piece of metal tube similiar to 12mm gas pipe but steel, filled with sand and flattened at one end. The length was from my wrist to forearm so it was easily concealed up my sleeve, and could be used for striking or slicing with the flat end. An alternative is 3 core electrical cable with a weight clamped to one end. Maybe not the best weapon in the world but shows what you can make from next to nothing, if thats all you have.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Heck. If you have just a knife and some fishing line, you could make a pretty devastating long and medium range weapon. Just tiwe thw line to the knife, and you have a nice blade rope.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Threads like this are one of the reasons I gave up on ATS. It appears that the people that post here are getting younger and younger and dumb and dumber. The ignorance is amazing. First you should ALWAYS have a good defensive weapon and the knowledge to use it.

A firearm is obviously best. Even a lowly 22 rrevolver with a box of shells will go along way. What, you don't have one? Why not. They are inexpensive, lightweight, easy to conceal, easy to carry. Legality be damned. TSHF, have what you need, and ALWAYS keep it by your side, if at all possible.

If you do not have a firearm and ammunition it should become a priority to get one, right under shelter and water and possibly before food. It is necessary in a apocalyptic situation.

Always carry an edged tool. These can be used to create other tools [ie weapons].

A sling is very deadly, as well quiet. Quiet is good. A sling is easy to learn and accurate when used properly. [don't confuse it with a slingshot]

An atlatl should be next up the ladder. I won't go into details. They are easy to make, easy to learn, accurate, and once again quiet.

A bow and arrows is next. More skill and time needed, more training and skill to use needed. But once again more accurate, still deadly, and once again quiet.

Gunpowder is easy to make and the recipe is easy. If you can't find it you don't need to know.

Defensive mantraps are easy but take time to set up. There are a number of good references on the subject. Check out Ragnar Bensons books.

The best defense is a good offense. Any place that you retreat to can be over-run with numbers and firepower. Learn to be effective and deploy tactical retreats and run and gun reversals.

Learn to be still and quiet. It is the best defense possible in many situations. An enemy that does not know you are there and is not looking for you will not see you.

PVC, really? As a last ditch effort maybe almost.

Be prepared bofore and after wont be so bad. Get what you need, have it with you, and know how to use it. I have recoverd many a dead hiker that had all the equipment and didn't know how to use it.

KISS, keep it simple stupid. Don't spend time trying to come up with elaborate weapons or techniques. Use what you know. Use it quickly. Use it properly. Use it in the most vicious deplorable way you can. Your enemy will not give you a second chance. Put them down and make sure they stay down.

rant over

reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
OK. I just want to tell you one thing. I despise the fact that you just called me stupid. I take offense to that. And another thing: I was bullied for twelve years. TWELVE YEARS!!! Do you know what that does to an IGNORANT kid?

It teaches them. It teaches them to be tough and have no remorse.

I probably couldn't beat you in a fight, but give me a single knife, and I could beat about 3 or 4 people with the same weapon - average people, that is. Just a simple guy wanting to get ab easy target. With my bare hands, I could beat two. Give me that ranged combat knife, I could wi against almost 7.

Now, call me dumb again. Just because peoleare young does not mean that they are stupid, RP.

Return Rant Over.

AbandonedKid

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Sorry to interrupt a great rant about how stupid young people are (incidentally, I'm 50 this year), but maybe you should read the thread title. I'm pretty handy but i know i couldnt fabricate a 'makeshift' .22 revolver, and i bet you couldnt either.

Incidentally, some of us come from countries where you arent allowed to carry a gun or knife everywhere, and even in the USA you cant take them on a plane, so what happens if shtf whilst you're on a flight?

It's great being prepared, but thats not what this thread is about.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
TextNo disrespect but I'd like to make a couple points.

Napalm is not explosive. It is a jelled flame fuel similar to in effect to a can of sterno at high temperatures.

PVC pipe? I install piping in my job. Almost any person could take a length of 3/4" PVC as tall as they are and bend it in a arc and break it. Also PVC becomes brittle in cold temps.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
No, napalm is not explosive, but if you put any nonexplosive yet FLAMMABLE chemical that releases some kind of gas in a sealed can that has a fuse, the gasses will build up and build up, until the pressure becomes too much abd the can explodes from the air pressure inside, sending everything inside blowing outward.

I've actually expirimented a bit with this, and I can assure you it works. If nothing else, they get flaming napalm thrown on them.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AbandonedKid

I didn't call you stupid. I said the posters here were getting younger and dumber. I stand by that post. Your fly off the handle post proves my point. You were bullied for twelve years. Why did it take so long for you to stop it? I have travelled to many third world hellholes and taught all over the world, thanks to my favorite uncle. While you have sat back for twelve years and allowed yourself to be bullied. Have you seen peoples that have had their children raped in front of them an then had their heads caved in? Have youe seen the raveages of mass starvation and genocide? Have you ever watched a tribal elder try to stand up to a well armed malitia group? Life just sucks all around and your little hissy fit about calling you stupid is laughable.

I am trying to get it through your thick young heads that you need to take the incentive and educate yourselves and learn proper combative and survival techniques, not have some little combative wet dreams because you have never experienced a real survival situation.

Get rid of your anger or at least learn to channel it in a more positive arena. I didn't bully you for those twelve years someone else did, and you allowed it. Yes there are always recourses, evidently you would not make the decision necessary to do what ws needed.

there are many good online sources for the info you need. Learn to learn, and take the incentive. A good self defense course is a good place to start. Many places offer them for free. Start a bug out bag. Learn what you need for EDC. Find other like minded people . GET OFF THE COMPUTER AND DO SOMETHING.

respectfully
reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lawman27

I nhever said anything about making one, I said get one. However while you are on the subject, a 22 zip gun is relatively easy to make with common hardware store items. T&C prohibit me from explaining further.

respectfully reluctantpawn

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
OK, dude, heres the thing. I may not know as much as you do about that stuff, but I know what its like. I am not saying Ive been through all of it, but I have seen it happen. Not to people that I know personally, but I have still seen it. Did you have a m,an come through your house and shoot your family? I lost my cousin and his grandmother thanks to that. Did you ever come so close to drowniong that you went unconscious? I have, and the only thing that saved me was my cousin, the one that got shot not two years later. You will never understand what it feels like, until it happens to you. The panic that ciomes when you first believe you are dying, then the indescribable calm that comes after you start slipping away...

This you can't know until it happens to you. As for tyhe bullying, I tried to stop it, once. I sent a football player to the hospityal when I lost my temper, and that wasd when I was just a little nerd who only cared aabout hios grades and didn't have an ounce of muscle in his body except his brain. After that, I decided to not get angry, and so far that has worked.

But now that is slipping away thanks to all that is going on in my life, and to be frank you are just making it worse. Did you know that I haven't even tried to defend myself from those bullies that try to beat me to a bloody puklp, and would if it weren't for the schools rules? I didn't try. I didn't want to risk getting angry at them.

And something else. I already know how to defend myself, thank you. Ever since then, I have trained in self defense until I could get to the point that I am at now. And as far as i am concerned, I am tired of people just assuming that others are beneath them.

The last time anybody did that, one of my best friends shot himself. I now hate that. In fact, I despise those who presume they are better than everybody else. The kid that made my friend kill himself had to move out of town, because me and my other friend were after him. I won't even tell you what we would have done. You can guess.

And so, to conclude my little speech here, you don't know me enough to say what you said. So don't talk about me in that superior tone of yours, whether you want to admit that you were or not.
edit on 7-2-2013 by AbandonedKid because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Regardless of your knowledge, the point i'm making is you're on the wrong thread. The thread title is 'makeshift weapons'.

Definition of Makeshift:
Adjective
Serving as a temporary substitute; sufficient for the time being.
Noun
A temporary substitute or device.
Synonyms
adjective. temporary - improvised - provisional - interim
noun. stopgap - substitute

A 22 revolver isnt makeshift.
A knife you buy and carry with you isnt makeshift
Your ready prepared BOB isnt makeshift (or a weapon)

Given your experience i've no doubt you've encountered makeshift weapons, so why not share that knowledge with us?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
stump remover (that is, or has been powdered) that contains potassium nitrate, mix with an equal part of sugar (enough to fill up a coke can, or similar container) and melt it together on the stove. add in some form of household poison once it becomes like peanut butter.

fill the coke can with the mixture (avoid the fumes, obviously) and add a fuse. you have yourself a poisonous smoke dispersing (and it really makes a lot of smoke) device.

so, some form of canister, stump remover, sugar, and arsenic, wasp spray, roach spray/anything toxic (though powdered things would probably work the best)

the above is for informational purposes only. i've never tried it. (well, only for smokebombs) and i'm not liable if you heat it too fast and fill your whole house with smoke.

edit on 7-2-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
what is this 'stump remover"? I have no idea what it is. ive never heard of it before.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AbandonedKid
what is this 'stump remover"? I have no idea what it is. ive never heard of it before.

Don't worry about it. The one with good ingredients along with common sulfur used to treat plant leafs has been pulled from the shelves of America.

One of the gun boards had a challenge to build a firearm using nothing but Home Depot. You should have seen the weapons those guys were making!!!

DHS pulled the web thread offline. Can't have too much knowledge out there.

posted on Feb, 8 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

Don't worry about it. The one with good ingredients along with common sulfur used to treat plant leafs has been pulled from the shelves of America.

you're incorrect. brands with the good stuff can still be found. not at home depot maybe, but other smaller stores still have it.

stump remover is a mix of chemical compounds that speeds up the decomposition of stumps. it also has other uses, as i've said.

posted on Feb, 9 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lawman27

I did post some simple expedient weapons that are effective in a realcworld situation. Having been in a hostile environment and forcibly disarmed I became acutely award of the necessity for hideout weapons. One must always be prepared and I learned to make arrangements for such. My response is to never be caugf off guard as a firsf line of defense.

My second note was that even if youhave thetools and do not have the skils or will to use them you are just as bad off. There is no supstitute for adequate training.

Respectfully
Reluctantpawn

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join