It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.8 gigapixel ARGUS-IS. World's higest resolution video surviellience platform by DARPA. (video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Well the title says it all , however to get a better understanding of what this thing can really do watch the short video

also i did do a quick search , so if this has been covered please feel free to trash this thread ,

anyway , some thoughts

million terabytes a day saved forever. The ARGUS array is made up of several cameras and other types of imaging systems. The output of the imaging system is used to create extremely large, 1.8GP high-resolution mosaic images and video. The U.S. Army, along with Boeing, has developed and is preparing to deploy a new unmanned aircraft called the “Hummingbird.” It’s is a VTOL-UAS (vertical take-off and landing unmanned aerial system). Three of them are being deployed to Afghanistan for a full year to survey and spy on Afghanistan from an altitude of 20,000 feet with the ability to scan 25 square miles of ground surface.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Why do they need to generate our lives on a screen??? -.-
Amazing technology the mind can create, though. Simple but tedious. Welcome to the world today, not the next generation.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   
ya , it is very scary indeed, i just don't get it ... i love the tech , but everytime something like this comes out it makes me wonder about my freedoms

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

We should never leave our houses, so we never exist on screen! O.O government control complete. Hahaha jkkk but the greatest trick of all, is convincing us we don't exist.

link   

We should never leave our houses, so we never exist on screen! O.O government control complete. Hahaha jkkk but the greatest trick of all, is convincing us we don't exist.

link   
I dunno that got posted twice. Im sorry.
friggen ipad.

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mythfury

i heard a similar quote before , except the Devil's name was mentioned in it

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Aha! So you get what I implied?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Mythfury

indeed

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
kind of makes me want to just give up ! and not even try and fight TPTB ....

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I can see the use of this in "fighting" crime, because if people know that everything that happens on the street of their city is on tape, then muggings, robbery, theft, and home invasions will go down (or people's disguise clothes and elaborate escape routes will get better, but that's for the smart ones), hit and runs may become extinct, and even "simple" fights on the street will be given second thoughts by their participants. But all of this should be balanced out with agressive prosecution for any official who misuses the technology. I can't believe I'm a little in favor of this, but only to deter violent or potentially violent crimes (and not victimless crimes). I know women who are afraid to walk the streets, this may be the ultimate "Take back the night" tool (or it could become the ultimate Big Brother, which, as long as apparantly this is happening anyway, is why it should be well publicized)

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
i dono my good man this might be taking it a bit far , but technology should not be used to take lives or disrupt lives , i just wonder what its going to be like 20 years from now

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Hmmm, crime could still occur on rainy and cloudy days, or at night. Does this tech have night vision, or see-through-clouds vision?

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

So I guess these Justice Caps will come in handy.

justice caps flash blind surveillance cameras

posted on Jan, 27 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightningStrikesHere
ya , it is very scary indeed, i just don't get it ... i love the tech , but everytime something like this comes out it makes me wonder about my freedoms

I think our freedom is just an illusion, or at least it has been for a long time now. We keep being told we are free while every day we are lose what little freedoms we have left. Jut think, once the rugged individualist was considered an icon of this country. Now he is more likely to be labeled a domestic threat and put on a government watch list. I am truly saddened by the erosion of our privacy and freedom.

One day we will all be behind virtual bars with no pretense of privacy but we will be so conditioned that we will still think we are free.
edit on 1/27/2013 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63

Originally posted by LightningStrikesHere

I think our freedom is just an illusion, or at least it has been for a long time now. We keep being told we are free while every day we are lose what little freedoms we have left. Jut think, once the rugged individualist was considered an icon of this country. Now he is more likely to be labeled a domestic threat and put on a government watch list. I am truly saddened by the erosion of our privacy and freedom.

One day we will all be behind virtual bars with no pretense of privacy but we will be so conditioned that we will still think we are free.
edit on 1/27/2013 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

I don't like cameras looking at me either, in case I have to scratch or something. But the concept of public space goes into the mix too. If it's outdoors in public then anyone has a right to look at you, even extrapolating that out to the eye in the sky. The only hope is that governments will fire or crack down hard on any operator who abuses the technology to follow their girlfriend's movements or something (if you know what I mean). This should be used for criminal activity alone and nothing else, and that should be written into law imnho.

posted on Jan, 28 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I mean, I'm not in favor of it, but I can see the good sides most indefinably. In comparison though, that's 100 predator drones looking at one place instead of that one camera, which we could probably use more of those to watch the entire earth at once. And like he said, One picture saved forever.

Just a thought, Why are they being deployed over Afghanistan, when we found Osama in Pakistan, and back in 2001 we were going to Iraq, and we are trying to find out if Iran have nuclear arms programs. In Libya, After Mohmar Ghadafi Died, there was an al-Qaeda flag flying above the Presidents house, and we have reports of those prisoners being released by some of U.S. officials. I smell massive conspiracy in the middle east, bigger than I had thought. Research Time!

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Woohoo! You had to wonder just how long it would be before this sort of thing would be further exploited.

The USAF and DARPA, in separate contracts, are trying to find how to patch the input from a few hundred ARGUS-IS cameras, and then track the movements of every person in the city, 24/7!

Currently, ARGUS output is sort of a personal experience, with some poor sap following you around pretty much manually, with some assistance from MHT, a multiple hypothesis tracker that learns what the target looks like and makes somewhat successful guesses on which blob YOU might be, to assist the operator.

But that's so 2013. The new thing is to marry High Performance Computing (the sort you do with video cards, rofl), and brand new software.

They sort of like the approach of Tao Xiang - link, so that's a recommended starting point. Nothing like Bayesian target sorting in a cluttered environment I suppose.

top topics

join