It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Penalties for smokers (Obamacare)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Don't let people kid you smoking will probably kill you. Probably??? My mother has smoked for nearly 70 years and sooner or later it might kill her if my sister that she lives with doesn't first.

killed a local16 year old because he was lighting his smoke and ran a stop sign

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

I don't trust the source at all. Too many "coulds" and "mights"... Besides...Obesity can cost you 22% more in monthly health insurance premiums

Overall, consumers in the ‘obese’ BMI category pay an average monthly premium 22% higher than those in the ‘normal’ BMI category ($169 compared to $207)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
What about people who drink too much?
I smoke and I drink... not American though, so this doesn't apply to me..

Sometimes people just want to ease the stress of the daily bulls**t that goes on in life. Let them do it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This country f'n sucks. About ready to move out of this chit hole. The double standard is just amazing in this country. I hope they tax hospitals a chit ton. My wife's aunt just got mrsa when she was in the hospital and died. Do we hear any people asking why someone like my illegal neighbor who had a baby, who is now a citizen since she was born here and has heart troubles, can get numerous surgeries at the cost of taxpayers, yet I pay an extra 1270 dollars a year already by smoking a pack a day in taxes.

I don't drink, I eat right, have been smoking for 25 years, and barely ever have to go to the doctor. I pay my dang insurance every year, while barely using the stupid thing. Shouldn't all of that add up throughout the years, and then when I need to use it IF I were to get complications from smoking? I'm telling you, we are just getting screwed on all levels.

All of the lazy, able bodied, poor people, get to collect our hard earned tax money on welfare, and receive top of the line insurance with only $1 copays. Yeah, nothing like rewarding people for being lazy, fat, and dumb. Oh the U.S.S.A! Got to love it. I just want to thank all of you who voted for this anti-liberty, collectivist, globalist, so called president to ruin this country. I appreciate it so much.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Told everyone that 0bamacare was a bad deal for the American People.

Now that all the details are coming out, more and more people seem to becoming enraged over it.

I do love saying this in this situation "Told you so".
Not directed to you, the OP, but in general for all those that supported this crap legislation.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Yea, it's just cherry picking.

Look how dangerous driving a car is. Pretty sure much more deaths then gun shooting!?
They want pictures now from bad deceases printed on sigarette boxes in my country.

They should make pictures on brand new cars from casualities as well then or they should tax people who have unsafe sex!

Taxing and baby sitting the population, it's like the cops busy all day writing speed&parking tickets, while there are much more important things they should be busy with.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I would also like to suggest that we tax the crap out of the media, since they cause tons of problems by scaring the crap out of people, which in turn makes people stressed out. Stress causes lots of problems, and the sheople follow the media to the letter. It's quite sickening that they are allowed to keep spewing lie, after lie, after hyperbole, after propaganda, after lie! You anti-liberty people better listen to what you are calling for when you say ban this and that, before they ban human existence to combat so called global warming. Wake up before they put you to sleep.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
weight and back problems may have other causes other than "this person wants to die soon"

So, (and as a smoker) I agree with it. we smokers are a blight on resources. ban smoking, that's the best way to deal with it.

no, how about we ban liberal tyrant pukes.
AKA democrats.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
You choose to smoke. Deal with it.

Since you are murderers you should be treated as such. Be happy this is as far as it is going now...

Nice strawman attack.

Back on topic...No wait, I need to address this last bit at the end:

Be happy this is as far as it is going now...

That right there is what is wrong. We give an inch, they take a foot, we give in to the restrictions as if it is Okay to legislate morality.
Prohibition didn't work, the phrase "WAR ON" what ever we are "fighting" at the time needs to go. If I want to smoke, then let me smoke in peace, I do my best to accommodate the non-smokers. I stay away from you, I make sure that I am down wind. I move away so that your precious lungs don't inhale my pick of poison. More often then not, I bend over backwards. Now you non-smokers need to bend over backwards for me and quit legislating morality. It doesn't work, never has, never will. When you criminalize something, only the criminals will be free.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The question that I have for smokers is why should the rest of society have to pay the health care costs associated with smoking.

The last time that I researched this, the cost to society for smoking related illnesses was around $10 per pack.

Why should others pay for your habit?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Obese people are probaly even more costly and they as well die younger.
And when they do that saves allot of health care, since old people often need lots of it.
So should people who get old and needs lots of care and so are expensive also need to pay for it?
It's much cheaper when people get killed by some government program at lets say age 60, no pension as well then to be payed out. As you know older peopler are becoming a real drag on the economy these days.

The system, just doesn't really work, our government followed more the american way of healthcare the last lets say 15 years. Hospitals are becoming more like a business, where the goals is of course; earning more money but in the end it's becoming way more costly for everyone!
edit on 25-1-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Yngvarr

Blood tests or you're going to have to scan your ID at the check out. Smokes and alcohol are now going to be monitored. You heard it here first.

What's next, intervention when you purchase too much in an allotted time?

I'm fine with the heavy taxes I pay on my beer and cigs. Penalties on my healthcare is going over the top if it's not distributed fairly.

Yes, I enjoy beer and cigs, but guess what. I eat right, exercise regularly, not overweight, work every day and stay the hell out of other peoples business. Stay the hell out of mine!

Nanny State/Country here we come.

PS. I voted for the other guy.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

I would have to say that you nailed that one. People only investigate what they want to see. They don't seem to take all of the considerations on the subject matter. Critical thinking seems to be dying in this country very fast.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappyLIBERTARIAN
Wake up before they put you to sleep.

That is a beautiful quote.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappyLIBERTARIAN
reply to post by Plugin

I would have to say that you nailed that one. People only investigate what they want to see. They don't seem to take all of the considerations on the subject matter. Critical thinking seems to be dying in this country very fast.

Why think about something when the talking heads on tv and politicians can tell you what to think for you? That way you can devote quality thought time on which contestant on American Idol should win.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Every other first world country has real medicare and universal care, but you guys are getting something sickening.

If they want to play games on top of their taxes on smokes, then they are going to start doing the same for everyone who isn't on their diets, living in their environments, obeying their rules, at the right weights, and eating their GMO, etc etc. Absolute control. Eat a cookie and pay penalites. Take vitamins not approved by the Nazi health board, and pay penalties.

Soon if you go fishing and fall in the creek, they'll charge you for reckless behavior. And anyone who goes fishing will also pay penalties.

It will never end.

It has to be universal PERIOD. No exceptions.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by xedocodex

Smoking has nothing to do with it.

You breathe in smoke just from walking outside. Fumes of the exhaust, with cars. Give me a break.

Are you really trying to claim that smoking doesn't increase your risk for lung cancer?

If you are, then there really isn't a point in trying to have a discussion.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Lol nanny state is right. Welcome to California. Progressives should pay more too considering their mental disease.

Dear Leader knows what's best for us.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by frazzle

I think it's the other way around.

Insurance first, then the doctors.

I'd have included social engineers but they don't actually KILL anyone, they just make a lot of people wish they were dead.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManjushriPrajna
I fail to see why obesity is no longer considered a disease, and is somehow a more chaste health situation than smoking.

Two words: Chris Christie.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join