Penalties for smokers (Obamacare)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
www.pjstar.com...

As a smoker, this is very upsetting. I understand smoking is bad, but come on, so are lots of things. This is going a bit too far in my opinion. What about obese people you ask? Check this.

Insurers won't be allowed to charge more under the overhaul for people who are overweight, or have a health condition like a bad back or a heart that skips beats — but they can charge more if a person smokes.

Really? Obese, bad back, heart problems, meh, you're good! You're a smoker? Ooohh, you're dangerous and need to pay more. Even though the tax you pay on cancer sticks is enormous, you need to pony up some more dough.

How much will this cost?

For a 55-year-old smoker, the penalty could reach nearly $4,250 a year. A 60-year-old could wind up paying nearly $5,100 on top of premiums.

This is wrong on so many levels.

Sorry if this has been discussed or is in the wrong forum. It was in my paper this morning and I thought I'd share.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
weight and back problems may have other causes other than "this person wants to die soon"

So, (and as a smoker) I agree with it. we smokers are a blight on resources. ban smoking, that's the best way to deal with it.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

And it includes us Vapors, too. Anything that contains nicotine is under fire, and yes they will
do a blood check.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I fail to see why obesity is no longer considered a disease, and is somehow a more chaste health situation than smoking.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by KawRider9

Really? Obese, bad back, heart problems, meh, you're good! You're a smoker? Ooohh, you're dangerous and need to pay more. Even though the tax you pay on cancer sticks is enormous, you need to pony up some more dough.

While one could argue that obesity, heart problems and a bad back could be related to poor decisions and bad habits you may also come to these issues through not real fault of your own, or at least not complete fault of your own.

Smoking on the other hand is not a health issue that just happens to you. You arent born smoking and an accident wont cause you to begin smoking.

It's 100% you're own fault.

I'd personally like to see the obese pay more too.

Makes no sense to be punished for living a healthy life to pay for the poor health of others when they caused it to themselves.
edit on 25-1-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ManjushriPrajna

It's screwed up. Not only do smokers pay a ton of taxes now you have to shell out more
dough for coverage.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I'm glad I got VA medical, I dont gotta worry about this lol

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What needs to happen (and it'll never happen, becasue it makes sense) Is that smokers need to be treated as addicts. Prevention is better than a cure, as they say. Over eaters also need addiction treatment, food is a complete headFK for some people, just like drugs are for others. Addiction is addiction, Only, with smoking, it's a goverment sponsered addiction. (like drinking)

More awareness and more programs for addicts is the crux of it. In the mean time, tax people untill they can't afford it, then the problem will eat itself.
edit on 25/1/2013 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Thegovernment has figured out that they can't outright ban cigarettes, so they are going for the next best thing. Making it super expensive to partake in it. I'm a non-smoker myself but this is just getting silly. If someone wants to smoke despite the risks to their health then that is their personal choice. Who are we to infringe on it? Isn't the fact that cigarettes are danderous to your health and super addictive enough? Why do we also have to charge them into poverty and misery as well?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
So what if you have a bad back and smoke?

No wonder the doctor charged me a $66 dollar co-pay last week. He gave me some other excuse though. Stupid school should be paying for it, considering I pay them over $700 dollars and they don't even pay for the medications. Now, what the heck do I pay them for?

Talk about the biggest scam in history.
edit on 25-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by KawRider9

I 100% agree with the penalties.

Smoking is a voluntary action that is causing a major healthcare issue and costing a lot of money for the rest of us.

There is a very simple solution if you don't like the penalties....stop smoking.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

Smoking has nothing to do with it.

You breathe in smoke just from walking outside. Fumes of the exhaust, with cars. Give me a break.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I see new inventions incoming. Want to pass that nicotine test? Try our new formula! It is 100% guaranteed to work or your money back!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
I see new inventions incoming. Want to pass that nicotine test? Try our new formula! It is 100% guaranteed to work or your money back!

Yeah, no kidding.

They'll be sold at drugs stores for $40 or less.

edit on 25-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
Thegovernment has figured out that they can't outright ban cigarettes, so they are going for the next best thing. Making it super expensive to partake in it. I'm a non-smoker myself but this is just getting silly. If someone wants to smoke despite the risks to their health then that is their personal choice. Who are we to infringe on it? Isn't the fact that cigarettes are danderous to your health and super addictive enough? Why do we also have to charge them into poverty and misery as well?

I think the two worst addictions are doctors and insurance companies. They're as likely to kill you as cigarettes.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
You choose to smoke. Deal with it.

Since you are murderers you should be treated as such. Be happy this is as far as it is going now...

link   
reply to post by frazzle

I think it's the other way around.

Insurance first, then the doctors.

link   
Im 6"2' 190lbs, workout, run, I have a bad back, degenerative disk disease (DDD), and heart problems,atrial fibrillation, by genetics.

Now smoking, being fat and eatting to many donuts, I would say charge them more. If im forced into obamacare, at the very least punish those that don’t take care of themselfs so i dont have to pay more
edit on 25-1-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by xedocodex

So you don't care about freedom?

They have made extra large cups illegal
They have made certain cooking oils illegal
Soon they will make Cigarettes illegal

Next

They will make sugar illegal
They will make OTC Meds Illegal
Internal Combustion Engines ILLEGAL
Knives longer than 5in ILLEGAL
Rope longer than 3ft ILLEGAL
Double Barreled Shotguns ILLEGAL
Razors ILLEGAL

Some will laugh BUT

I have personally been a witness to all of the above used to kill oneself.. (My Job)

Give away 1 freedom, the next is a lot easier..

"Those that would sacrifice liberty for safety and security, deserve neither"

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
You choose to smoke. Deal with it.

Since you are murderers you should be treated as such. Be happy this is as far as it is going now...

Well you better stop driving then and a ride bicycle. Look at all the kids who have to inhale your exhaust pipe. You people are just as guilty.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join