It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doing the unthinkable, yes the US has banned it...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

YOU didn't build that.

The GOVERNMENT built it FOR YOU

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Cigarettes should be banned. 2nd hand smoke hurts everyone.

First hand BS hurts everyone more especially those who think it is the job of the US Federal Government to go around banning things.

It is not their job it has never been their job.
edit on 25-1-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by txinfidel

My point is that a government out of control can (and has) banned anything for the slightest of justifications. Sliced bread, one of the many things that we take for granted today has been around for less time than Ford cars, the Colt 1911 or even Popeye.

Key here is looking at the timeframe of the ban. 1944 was a time for accomplishing many things and justifying it because of the war. You had loyal citizens doing their duty to do without for the war effort. Which was easy as they had just came through some of the toughest times in our history with the Great Depression and had willingly accepted FDR's New Deal on the promise that everything implemented was temporary. Of which only the CCC was discontinued. Ironic as it was the only thing that put people to work other than the war or in a factory for war production.

Today's modern society has proven itself to be wholly dependent on either being an employee or a beneficiary of tax handouts in the guise of social progressivism programs. Often times we read or hear the call of "Civil War" or "Revolution" as a counter to gun control/bans, but always when it is in conjunction to coming for "my guns". In your reply, you even implicate the idea by (paraphrasing here) not sticking your neck out for people in states that seem to want to have their guns banned. Yet, we look at people in the UK or Oz and realize they don't or can't share our views about an armed society because they, for the most part, have not grown up in one.

Secessionism is an old rallying cry that predates the Civil War by more than 30 years. Most of the New England states and Virginia regularly called for withdrawing from the Union in the 1820's and 1930's. There was even a separate desire for primarily states formed out of the Louisiana Purchase to form their own union, notably leaving the New England states behind. In fact, even Fredrick Douglas supported the idea of the Confederacy until the firing on Fort Sumter.

I would go on to say that most 2nd Amendment advocates will either state that the 2nd defends the 1st or the other amendments without considering what is a most very important one that is rarely ever mentioned...the 3rd. And people think that the 3rd has never been broached, they need to read a bit more about the Civil War, War of 1812 and various other bits of US history that are always lightly covered in every history class.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

I would just like to add, as a citizen of the dictatorship of NY. The state, not the city.

The extreme left in the government are the ones doing this, it was not put to a vote for the citizens. We were steamrolled.

And we mostly have progressive NYC to thank for that. They are nuts down there. And unfortunately they outnumber the rest of the state.

We are fighting hard here to get this thing overturned.

So anyone saying we want it or asked for it, do some research.

We have a dem. governor, dem controlled legislature and crappy NYC keeps voting them back in.

Have you seen their Mayor lately? The Nanny Bloomberg.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I guess what I am trying to say is that we have all seen this coming down the pipe for some time. I dont really know how to articulate this in words really and I am not a huge gun advocate however, I positioned myself in a defensible position for a reason and i did it several years ago. I did not do it because I am a starch second amendment supporter but I am a second amendment supporter.

I did it because I felt the loss of liberty years ago in another state and for other reasons also.

My point is not to demean anyone from anywhere or to say that the entire state of NY is pushovers. I guess what I am saying is that it is coming and that has become evidently clear now.

Now while Im on that point, it can't happen everywhere at once, they will launch small campaigns and those small campaigns will seem successful as they already have the land territory and map chartered for them. Those are for the most part the states that have largely been disarmed already.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

The reason it still works in Texas is because the government still fears the people. The reason it doesnt work in NY is because the people fear the government.

It is an uphill battle and perhaps suicidal should you plan to stand your ground there.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

He made visits to Ohio to try to regulate our gun shows. Because somehow the mayor of NYC has some sort of perceived jurisdiction over the regulation of commerce in the State of Ohio. He was also concerned about the national guardsmen that showed up after Sandy to help had guns. I sent him a note and personally assured him that none of the national guard were using weapons purchased at Bill Goodman's Gun and Knife show and if he wanted, I would check to make sure they didn't come from the Patriot Gun and Knife show either.

But responsible citizens should support overthrowing that legislation whether they live in New York or not. 59 years ago the people had to worry about the crumb grabbers and could have said "You'll get my bread when I rye."

But seriously, gun control is not a states rights issue nor federal one. It is specifically spelled out in the Constitution that the right belongs to the people. Elected officials would do well to contemplate the 9th as well, as there are plenty of unenumerated rights held by the people as well.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Yes, he does seem to think he is the Mayor of the United States, probably to due with his worth in billions.

The narcissist ego of his is uncontrollable.

And he seems to have Cuomo by the short hairs. Combine that with Cuomo maybe eyeing a run in 2016, they are all working together with Obama.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

We have the dyke mayor here and Sheila Jackson Lee, and how they get voted in is beyond me that Texas couldnt be painted any redder. They both are against the 2nd amendment. It is absurd..

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Can you post the links to studies that shows the effects of cigarette smoke on those that inhale:
"1st hand smoke only",
"1st and 2nd hand smoke",
"2nd hand smoke only",
?
And make sure the studies exclude other environmental pathogens.

Just wondering.

edit on 1/25/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Then alcohol should be banned also-it has causes numerous innocent people to be killed in road accidents,drivers and pedestrians alike.It has broken up families,ruined careers and wrecked untold thousands upon thousands of lives.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tuttle
To be perfectly honest cigarettes should be banned shouldnt they?, I mean its not like even a matter of personal freedoms, cigarettes have been purposefuly pushed onto an unwitting society for decades, despite the fact they are a lethal health hazard.

Im a smoker by the way.

But lets be honest, Big Tobacco, good guys are they?, personal freedoms and liberty of the people at heart have they?, lol, they are as bad as arms dealers.

Mom, is that you? Dad? What? Oh, I don't know you? If I didn't emanate from your loins in some fashion, if I have never been dependent upon you for my well being, if YOU are not married to me, related to me, my offspring, or my ancestor... I DO NOT WANT OR NEED YOU LOOKING OUT FOR ME. I'm a big boy (Yeah, even in the fat sense and if a politician tries to touch my burritos and cheeseburgers I'll bite his freaking face off, literally.) I find it highly humorous that we live in a nation where an old person can choose to "die with dignity" (i.e. assisted suicide) and a woman can choose to abort a living baby because it is "her body, her choice", but somehow I gotta deal with a bunch of meddlesome jackwads in DC who see fit to save me from myself and act like Mary freaking Poppins the nanny.

Hell no!

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by wondermost

Originally posted by Tuttle
To be perfectly honest cigarettes should be banned shouldnt they?, I mean its not like even a matter of personal freedoms, cigarettes have been purposefuly pushed onto an unwitting society for decades, despite the fact they are a lethal health hazard.

Im a smoker by the way.

But lets be honest, Big Tobacco, good guys are they?, personal freedoms and liberty of the people at heart have they?, lol, they are as bad as arms dealers.

Just remember, you don't HAVE to buy the cigarettes you smoke from the evil tobacco industry. Its your right, or freedom to choose to do so.

I have the right to go out and buy a gun, or sliced bread, or hell even massive amounts of rat poison if i so choose to, thats what makes America great. Love it or hate it. Once i lose my rights endowed upon me by my creator, it stops being America, and becomes a real problem.....

As long as you are not harming other people, I have no problem with what you buy. Where the line gets blurred, however, is how you put your new possessions to use. Are you going to hunt with that gun? Use it for self defense? Perfectly fine by me. Are you going to rob a store or kill someone in cold blood? Are you going to smoke around other smokers or in privacy? Fine. Are you going to smoke around non-smokers who are sensitive to the rat poison and nail polish remover they put in your cigarettes?

You do not have the right to endanger or harm other people.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
ban this, ban that, ban the man that banned his brand

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

1. Don't hurt or kill another person, unless in defence.
2. Don't destroy others property, unless the property is being used to break the first rule.
3. Don't steal or con others.

Everyone I know agrees that above rules are the ones to follow. Sure you can debate them and go in to more detail over how they're broken. But if you look at most crimes they fall under at least one of the three above if not more.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
reply to post by iRateGenius2397

A town in Maine already gave in to some nut and banned bottled water.

Wow now that state has mental issues.

Banned Bottled Water???

edit on 25-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raxoxane
reply to post by muse7

Then alcohol should be banned also-it has causes numerous innocent people to be killed in road accidents,drivers and pedestrians alike.It has broken up families,ruined careers and wrecked untold thousands upon thousands of lives.

Ahahaha already tried that.... didn't work out so well... lol..

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SalientSkivvy

reply to post by muse7

At least when alcohol was banned, the government went through the process to amend the constitution (18th) which required a huge collective of support throughout every state in the nation, due to the Temperance movement, which also spawned the 19th amendment granting women the right to vote. When the 21st amendment repealed prohibition, again the proper process was followed and the people of the various states had a part in the ratification process.

The process of banning something today completely ignores our constitutional protections as the congress makes laws without even understanding what they are voting on, much less engaging proper legal process to subvert (change) the rights retained by the people (or the various States).

ganjoa

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
The extreme left in the government are the ones doing this, it was not put to a vote for the citizens. We were steamrolled.

Sure.... we've lived with a republican-dominated...well... almost everything, for quite a number of years, but it's the "extreme left." Doing this.

Open your eyes and stop buying their propaganda. Even better (/worse) stop trying to sell it to everyone else.

It is an extreme government which has done this to us. Republican and Democrat is a cute little false friendly war they sell to the sheep to keep you squabbling amongst yourselves instead of addressing the true root of the problem-- corrupt, lying, power-grabbing control-freak politicians.

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SalientSkivvy

reply to post by muse7

A fair point-- however, the modern version of this is still going on, with many of the same negative consequences for society. They're just perpetuating it because they figured out how to profit massively from it. Both financially and otherwise.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join