It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone getting ready for the winter storm tomorrow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Looks like our state is in a panic mode of Ice, Rain and sleet. They were already out there today preparing for the roads. Looks like they put salt down. Now, with the way the weather has been; Hot, Cold, Thunder-snow, I'm not sure what to expect. I'm totally not ready.

Hopefully school will be cancelled and I can get ahead on my reading and reports.

Also, will most likely experience the Mario Andretti's, if there are Icey roads. I think that's the only thing we need to watch out for. The morons who think it's a game to speed on ice. I remember one year we had over 3,000 accidents in one day. They didn't even have enough dispatchers to go the scenes. I hope it won't be like that year.

Stay safe all. From the looks of it, it looks like 6 (round about) states will be hit tomorrow.

All those in the path be careful and be cautious.

And please, do not don't drive like your on a NASCAR track trying to beat Mario Andretti.

Thanks..
edit on 24-1-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Well i cant comment on your state being thousands of miles away! But the uk could have snow storms again friday, According to most weather reports (and believe me uk weather reporters are the worst in the world). Its said that for every day it snows in the uk it costs the economy around £500 million. Enjoy your storms anyhow
People drive like snails here when it snows and block every road
edit on 24-1-2013 by TheDoctor46 because: Cause im stupid

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

what region are you talking about here? I believe you mention that 6 states will be affected, anywhere near south central PA?

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Salt before the storm/snow?
Weird.
I've never seen that before.
That'll make it slippery, unless you get enough snow for the snow to not melt.

Dry snow never needs salt until the warm up. It just melts the ice.
Dry snow isn't slippery.
Wet snow is just going to be slippery no matter what.
I hope you get the dry powdery stuff, much nicer. Lighter on the roofs too.

If your dog (or any other pets), is out walking or play near the road salt or sand, wash it off their feet before they lick at it.
That stuff is often poisonous.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Salt before the storm/snow?
Weird.
I've never seen that before.
That'll make it slippery, unless you get enough snow for the snow to not melt.

Dry snow never needs salt until the warm up. It just melts the ice.
Dry snow isn't slippery.
Wet snow is just going to be slippery no matter what.
I hope you get the dry powdery stuff, much nicer. Lighter on the roofs too.

If your dog (or any other pets), is out walking or play near the road salt or sand, wash it off their feet before they lick at it.
That stuff is often poisonous.

I was wondering the same thing. I said that in the car on the way home. Aren't you suppose to put the salt on ice and not before ice?

We rarely ever receive snow anyways, so that might be why about the inexperience of salt on the roads.

My dog won't leave the house after he got attacked by a pit bull. I've tried, but to no avail he won't go past the driveway. He's happy to get the mail and come back.
So, I don't have to worry about that.

What's weird, he still gets excited to go for the walk, but as soon as we go and head out the door to the driveway, he turns into a stubborn statue.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by wtbengineer

what region are you talking about here? I believe you mention that 6 states will be affected, anywhere near south central PA?

Here is the Weather Channel page for this system.

As for East TN, there are bouncing the forecast and weather mongering around like a ball. This morning when I checked local news they had a big headline up about a winter storm warning, when really all it is is a watch.

Yesterday they were predicting ice/snow from 4am - 7pm with an accumulation up to .6". Now it's not gonna start until 8am and end at 1pm with up to .3" accumulation.

And yes, they are already treating our roads too. Have been since early am today.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Curious. What state are you talking about and what is the weather you're expecting?

Don't worry. This Canuck will laugh at you no matter what.
Sorry, just used to this weather. You can laugh at me in August when I'm sweating to death and can't breath.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The roads here are usually pre-treated to prevent icing then after the snow starts sand & salt are spread. We got about an inch last night/early this morning & they're calling for ice & snow of about 2" tomorrow. No need for me to go nuts & stock up on supplies but thanks to the fiance I do have firewood. Last week they were calling for us to receive 3"-6" so the streets were treated but there wasn't a snow flake to be seen so when last nights forecast called for snow the state didn't do a thing. This morning there were accidents up and down I95 (people believing "it" can't & won't happen to them so driving like morons), the major routes through town were snow covered & local schools closed....for an inch of snow. Never in my life have I seen communities close schools for so little precipitation but given there were, obviously, so many idiots behind the wheel better safe than sorry. If worst comes to worst the grocery store is about a mile away, I can walk it.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
We have just got and ice storm that put down a layer of 1/4-1/2 inches of ice on top of packed snow in some parts with temps in the mid 20's.

The streets are ice-rinks with 2 ton beginner skaters...

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I've had great fun in GB teaching my wife 180's and handbrake turns in the snow.
Tommorrow's lesson is the J turn.
We're both loving it (it is in a safe place)
Bring on the snow and I might teach her drifting

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You think it's bad in Canada, look at what poor LA had to go through last week.

I don't know how they survived!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599

Where the hell could you do that in England? I didn't think it got cold enough there for the lakes to freeze enough to allow a vehicle.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

To be fair though, I was in LA in '78. IN JUNE!!!!! DAMN that was hot. I actually sounded like the Wicked Witch. "Help me. I'm melting."

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
So Il here. Wintry mix, ice, snow, freeezing rain,... doesnt matter, these people here cant drive when its dry and the sun is out.

Prepared?? Hell Im always prepared. Electricity going out for a week due to an idiot hitting a pole, ice snapping greened trees and keeping power out for almost a month, snowmageddon, zombie apocalypse... you name it.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by cody599

Where the hell could you do that in England? I didn't think it got cold enough there for the lakes to freeze enough to allow a vehicle.

The local uni carpark.
It's massive and empty great fun for all. I used to go there as a youngster with my friends and hone my skills, trust me on this one it's better than 50 shades of grey

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

To be fair though, I was in LA in '78. IN JUNE!!!!! DAMN that was hot. I actually sounded like the Wicked Witch. "Help me. I'm melting."

LA in June!!!
What were you thinking

It's too hot in LA even in the winter months

Even up here with all our snow smarts, our road crews still do stupid things.
My husband drives a semi up around Slave Lake, and a few days ago he watched the salt truck go by over the icy road, and then the plow went by and plowed off all the salt/sand.

posted on Jan, 24 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I just heard today that they were going to let the schools out 2 hours early.. Gee, how nice of them. How about closing school so we don't turn into Popsicles or get killed on the roads? What's up the backwards world?

posted on Jan, 25 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Woohoo!! No class after 1PM...
Yeah... I don't have to drive back there.
NANANANA

top topics

join