It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma senator proposes dog breed ban

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Last April a man in Mead Oklahoma was attacked by two pit bulls and died(as have many others), so now Patrick Anderson, is proposing to pass a bill that allows cities and communities to ban any breed of dog they believe is dangerous.

STATE OF OKLAHOMA
1st Session of the 54th Legislature (2013)
SENATE BILL 32 By: Anderson
AS INTRODUCED An Act relating to municipalities; authorizing governing boards of incorporated municipalities to restrict ownership of any breed of dog by citizens within municipal limits; providing for codification; and declaring an emergency. BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA: SECTION 1. NEW LAW A new section of law to be codified in the Oklahoma Statutes as Section 22-115.2 of Title 11, unless there is created a duplication in numbering, reads as follows: Any incorporated municipality of this state may upon approval by its governing board, restrict the ownership of any breed of dog by citizens residing within the limits of the municipality. SECTION 2. It being immediately necessary for the preservation of the public peace, health and safety, an emergency is hereby declared to exist, by reason whereof this act shall take effect and be in full force from and after its passage and approval.

As a person who was attacked by one of those dogs that aren't even considered aggressive, I find it incredibly hard to understand why it makes more sense to take away the right for good people to have any dog of their choice. It would seem more logical to me that they would implement more animal control in the area, since most attacks come from loose animals rather than loving pets. I realize that there are always exceptions to the rule, but I have several friends with very sweet Pit Bulls. What are your thoughts?

posted on Jan, 22 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
There is no need to outlaw any breed of dog. We can solve the problem by charging the owner of any dog (of any breed) which causes significant injury to anyone not on that owner's property with attempted homicide.

Keep your dog at home. If you can't, get rid of the dog or go to jail.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I had 2 pitbulls when I was younger....never had a damn issue, they licked my sisters kids who were toddlers at the time and they were the best dogs.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
im with monatana, no need to outlaw anything, just make the penalties stiffer, 5-10 years for death by animal. dont wanna risk it, dont get a pitbull or what ever animal is the danger of the times.

ive seen plenty of entertainers stick heads in mouth of dangerous animals and had no problems, ive also seen the same acts in videos and other countries where it didnt go so well ^9

never trust an animal, specially the kind that can talk.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
LINK

Are you saying that these numbers are made up? I don't want to ban them and I've never met an aggressive one, but if they were an exotic pet, they would have been banned a decade ago.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Violetshy

Violent dogs have neglectful or violent owners.

My 30lb border collie bullied a 60lb Rotweiller, I was like "Good job!" to the owner. And he's like "Why?" "Because most Rotweiller's would have ripped my dog apart by now."

lol.

People need to start raising their dogs properly, or they don't belong having dogs. Too many people pretend they are there just to be cute in the begining.. I see it that you have to make the dog a part of your family. Make sure to correct it's behavior like you would with any child.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
No need to regulate dangerous dogs.

Wait for someone else to be killed, then simply fine the owner.

Makes the family of the deceased feel a lot better too. Everyone wins.

Now forgive me, I must go take my pet bear for a walk in the local park.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I have heard of the stories where people have been killed by pitbulls. But, the few experiences I have had with them personally, they were the sweetest dogs ever.

I used to work at the SPCA here where I live. Two pitbulls were rescued from their owners who had placed chains around their necks and conveniently forgot to adjust the length as the dogs grew. The chains had embedded into the dogs' necks to the point where their skin was actually growing over them. Long story short, of all dogs, you would think two pitbulls who had been so badly mistreated would be the most vicious. To the contrary, they were the nicest dogs ever; to both humans, and to other dogs.

I have met a few people out in public who were walking their pitbulls and every one of them has been nice to me.

About a week ago I was down the street at a neighbor of mine who sells firewood. I bought some from him and we stood there talking for about half an hour. While we were talking, a pitbull that I had never seen around the neighborhood before came strolling up and started to play with my neighbors dachshund. Then he walked up to me, wagging his tail and panting. He appeared friendly and I reached out to pet his nose, saying out loud, "Please be nice, please be nice..."

He was nice, of course. Nice enough to give my hand a bath with his tongue before running off to play with the dachshund again.

People say it is bred into pitbulls to be killers. From what I have seen and experienced, that is not true. When they are angry or have been raised up the wrong way, then their natural advantages such as strong jaws can certainly cause more damage than the average dog. Either that, or all the pitbulls I have ever met just happened to be having a good day, and were in a good mood for some reason!

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
I know its nothing new , but I have had an overdose of completely ridiculous political theater lately. so instead of holding people responsible for their actions or inactions it is easier to ban everyone from everything. while i have never owned a pittbull , i have never been bitten by one or even scared by one. havent more people been killed by the police than by dogs?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I am all for banning pit bulls. They have a mind of their own. They do as they please. Get rid of them all unless the owner is willing to go to jail for the murder case.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

As a man who has dealt with animals for a living, with a wife who is a dog groomer, i can tell you from experience that chihuahuas are more aggressive than Pits, Rotts, or Shepherds.

How the hell do you ban a living thing? I have known so many sweet and loving breeds that this d-bags politician would call dangerous, that to consider banning them is simply unthinkable to me.

It's not the Animal. It's the owner. If you raise a dog to be aggressive it will be aggressive.

What is it with politicians and their effing ban hammers?

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by XXX777

I am all for banning pit bulls. They have a mind of their own. They do as they please. Get rid of them all unless the owner is willing to go to jail for the murder case.

I am not going to write a long reply because I'm on my iPod, in bed, and tired. However, this is so ridiculously absurd. We should ban them because "they have a mind of their own"? Really!? If that's the case, let's ban all dogs. Might as well do cats too; they have a mind of their own. ••• it, let's ban ALL domesticated animals... /sarcasm

Pitbulls are one of the most loving and giving breeds of dog. Like any dog, they need to be loved, treated well, properly socialized, etc. They must also have tons of exercise as they are a working class breed.

F••• BSL (Breed specific legislation)

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I do not agree with banning dog breeds. It is simple really, just do not let idiots own them. It is all down to how the owners treat and raise them. Most people who get what it considered as a dangerous job raise them just fine and never have a problem with them, but there is always the few who mistreat them and only get them as more of a "tough guy fashion statement" and raise them to be aggressive or neglect them. All any dog needs is care and affection. I have a Staffy ( Staffordshire Bull Terrier ) called Koosh and these dogs are scene as aggressive but i have raised him right and he would never going for anyone in an aggressive manner apart from me when we are playing and even then its not real aggression just playfulness.

Just don't let idiots own dogs... Simple

My doggy looks like this but has brown markings not black.

edit on 23-1-2013 by Snoopie because: Adding pic

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
i'm beginning to think it is hightime we ban any politician who suggests banning anything except other politicians and UnConstitutional laws

the mere suggestion of bannning breeds is something only a tyrant would do.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
There is no need to outlaw any breed of dog. We can solve the problem by charging the owner of any dog (of any breed) which causes significant injury to anyone not on that owner's property with attempted homicide.

Keep your dog at home. If you can't, get rid of the dog or go to jail.

we can agree on something.

i know they can be pricy sometimes, but obedience schools are great for this kind of thing. maybe instead of banning a dog breed, offer a "cheaper" obedience training, not attack dog training, but actual leash training. and maybe enforce leash laws, off property of course.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   

it would be more reasonable to propose a bad owner ban. banning dogs is just stupid.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

best damn dog i ever owned.

Not the least bit dangerous, she loves kids and puppies.

Its the owner not the breed.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I'm going to just jump on the band wagon here for a moment.....not because it hasn't been said before, but because i'm a dog lover....I love dogs, my two Jack Russells got me through a very nasty divorce...if it wasn't for them, i think i might have lost the little sanity i have left.

My male Russell is picky, territorial, temperamental, cranky, loving, and loyal....With all of his personality quirks, he loves me without question and wants nothing more than for me to come home from work and spend time with him.

My female is twitchy, spazstic, non-attentive, nosey, greedy, sweet, kind, tender, and loyal....She could careless that i go, as long as i come home....When she is done yelling at everything that is in eye sight of my lot, she comes in an nuzzles into my armpit and grumps when i move.

My point, dogs are the product of the environment they are in, mine are just like me.....almost to the point of creepy
....however, they are an extension of me and what i extend to them...Just like a child, if you have a drunken, abusive, a-hole for a father.....I'm betting that kid will be the exact same. A gun in the hands of one who cares nothing for other people, will cause bad things with that gun, but a gun in the hands of someone who respects it and the laws of our society will probably use it for good and may actually save a life or two.

It isn't a breed that is 'evil'.....it is nothing more than an extension of the owner. The American Bulldog or Pitbull, is actually a very solid stable breed that has been abused through the years. You want an example of this, Boxers are now on the aggressive list, when they were a few years ago the number one dog for young children. Ask my father, the boxer would adopt any young child in the house as their own. The child could pretty much do anything to the Boxer, and it would just take it. Ask my first boxer
The day my father spanked me in front of Rocky, well, let us just say that from that day on, i was spanked in my room with the dog in the back yard. Dad got a good bite, but it wasn't Rocky's fault, he was defending me, and my father understood that.....yes, i deserved the spanking

I have said this many times, we need to seriously start looking at the problem, Not try to band-aid the situation....We have become just too damnably lazy, and try to just quickly solve a problem by banning or restricting things instead of addressing the real issue.

CX

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I used to have a Bull Mastiff, softest thing on the planet.....

One day a little girl in the local pub asked if she could pet him, i said yeah he's fine and she ended up rolling around with him on the floor being engulfed in licks and dribble lol. Her dad came over and said "Is your dog ok to do that with?" I said, "Bit late now but yeah he's soft as muck".

He went on to say that his daughter was usualy scared stiff of dogs as she'd been grabbed round the face by an Old English sheep dog when she was younger, you could still see the scars round her face.

Point being, the most unlikely dogs can be dangerous. A little Jack Russel bit and killed a baby here a while back, just one bite apparently, doesn't mean it was a savage attack, just an accident that went very wrong.

Does that mean all Jack Russell's should be banned? Course not. They are gorgeous dogs.

Yes you have some people getting dogs known for their aggression as some kind of status symbol, but it's the people who need sorting out, not the dogs.

CX.

posted on Jan, 23 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Well it sounds like a dog is similar to a gun.
It is not the dog so much as it is the owner and the way the dog was trained.
You people make a great argument for unrestricted gun ownership.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join