It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Australia women calls on ban on Boomerang in Controlled Weapons Act

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Boomerangs are dangerous. I know. I boomeranged myself.

My dad visited Australia during Vietnam, he brought back lots of cool things. One of his treasures was a beautiful boomerang he had apparently learned to throw and catch.

He also brought back a kangaroo skin. Don't ask me why. He still has it, and that thing is nasty.

Anyway, as a child I loved to watch him throw and catch the boomerang. So it was only natural that I'd sneak into his room, climb up his closet shelf, take the boomerang, and go play with it. All without his permission or knowledge, of course.

(I'm sure that if I'd asked for help, he would have gladly shown me. It in my mind I was on some secret mission. Damn, I miss childhood.)

So out I go into the field across from my house. I wound up, boomerang cocked like I'd seen my dad do, and inlet fly with all my strength.

Guess what. Boomerangs really do come back. This one hit me in the back of the head, HARD.

I dragged myself and the boomerang back home, bloodied and needing hugs. Luckily mom provided the hugs (and band aids) while dad laughed.

That afternoon he tried to teach me how to throw it correctly, but alas. The boomerang never came back...it usually went straight down into the ground. Maybe I was subconsciously throwing it wrong. Who knows.

So there's my dangerous boomerang story. And dad will be showing my son how to throw it this summer. I'll be waiting wi band aids, just in case.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Good Story
When we were kids I chased a overthrown frisbee straignt into a tree at a full run.Broke two fingers,ouch!!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
No surprise here, nanny states everywhere.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Havn't read all the posts but here is the link. oh and by the way, I'm embarrased. Sort of equals the women who want's to ban bottled water. Question is, where dose it end. Answer, never!!

Let's not forget kids are banned from using roller skates on footpaths in Australia. Obviously it's safer on the road. duh!

You can't ride a bicycle without a helmet on the road, you can't ride a push bike on the pavement period.

Now heres a beauty. You can be done for drink riding a push bike.

Next on the agender is.......wait for it......Drink walking (I just threw that one in) after they get that one through they go for.....drink talking. Fk it I'm never drinking again.

au.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
WOW!

People will do anything to be upset. HAHA!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I remember making a wood boomerang when I was a kid, I threw it into the wind and froze with amazement as it actually turned around and headed back my way......almost broke my nose, blood everywhere...hmm fun memory's

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I'm a responsible boomerang owner, and I think an outright ban on boomerang is an infringement on my rights and freedoms. If I want a 2, 3, 4 armed boomerang I should be allowed. Plastic, wood, metal, glass, c4 it shouldn't matter what it's made of either. It's my right as a citizen to whack anyone in the head I want, and if I miss have my "Curved Stick" return to my hand.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Good thing the chubby girl didn't throw a potato!

This actually reminds me of when I was a teen. We used to flick pennies and the little bastards HURT when they caught you right.

Maybe we should ban money too.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Im still laughing, this thread has got funnier then the original story. On a serious note I don't think anyone needs to own more then one Boomerang at a time !!!

P:S, I didn't know bon fires, water guns or real guns for that matter were banned in this country
Mmm my kids got fantastic water guns for christmas.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by feelingconnected

Oy, I'll have you know, if the gubberment wants to take anyone of my vast collection of boomerangs away they will have to pry them from my clammy drunk hands.

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Nuff said.

This guy proves/proved boomerang's are lethal weps

warning graphic content !!!!

edit on 18-1-2013 by Tikitiboo because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-1-2013 by Tikitiboo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Boomerangs are dangerous. I know. I boomeranged myself.

My dad visited Australia during Vietnam, he brought back lots of cool things. One of his treasures was a beautiful boomerang he had apparently learned to throw and catch.

He also brought back a kangaroo skin. Don't ask me why. He still has it, and that thing is nasty.

Anyway, as a child I loved to watch him throw and catch the boomerang. So it was only natural that I'd sneak into his room, climb up his closet shelf, take the boomerang, and go play with it. All without his permission or knowledge, of course.

(I'm sure that if I'd asked for help, he would have gladly shown me. It in my mind I was on some secret mission. Damn, I miss childhood.)

So out I go into the field across from my house. I wound up, boomerang cocked like I'd seen my dad do, and inlet fly with all my strength.

Guess what. Boomerangs really do come back. This one hit me in the back of the head, HARD.

I dragged myself and the boomerang back home, bloodied and needing hugs. Luckily mom provided the hugs (and band aids) while dad laughed.

That afternoon he tried to teach me how to throw it correctly, but alas. The boomerang never came back...it usually went straight down into the ground. Maybe I was subconsciously throwing it wrong. Who knows.

So there's my dangerous boomerang story. And dad will be showing my son how to throw it this summer. I'll be waiting wi band aids, just in case.

There are two rules for throwing boomerangs. Keep your eye on the boomerang while it is flying and be prepared to catch. If you are not a good catch learn how to duck!

P

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I'm an Aussie, and I agree that we're becoming a Nanny State, but none of these restrictions really affect me. I don't want a gun. If I do want a gun, I'll just go through the legal hoops and get one.

I don't want a paint ball gun. I figure the only time I'd want one is if I was playing a paintball game. And you can hire them at the venue.

I don't need to buy a sling shot. I've made 4 of them and they work really well.

Water pistols? I bought a couple for my son for Christmas and they are plenty powerful enough.

A BB gun? The only reason I can see for a BB gun is to shoot birds and rats in my backyard. The rats I deal with by putting baits down, and I don't really mind having birdies on my backyard.

A cross bow? Too long to load. I'd rather a good compound bow any day.

Boomerangs will never get banned. I read the story. She's just trying to milk the system for cash. As someone said, she comes from South Lake. I'm not saying she is, but the majority of people from South Lake are low income earners, looking for any way to make some easy money. I always get suss when someone has to have their photo taken with their kid in it. Reminds me of Reverend Lovejoy's wife... "won't someone think of the children!!" If she was on the open space at Yanchep National Park and saw a guy throwing a boomerang...(facepalm)...... Here's what I'd do.... "Kids, lets move out of the way of the guy throwing the boomerang. We could get hurt. Lets go visit the lake, caves, koalas, bush, another picnic area" Some people take no responsibility for their own safety.

So yeah, we have some pretty draconian laws, but none of them really affect my day to day life. I'm waiting for laws that make people who drive slow in the fast lane for too long become open targets for ramming!

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
what a joke.. are they going to ban all objects over a certain weight/density?

posted on Jan, 18 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazylounger

Haven’t you heard they also banned laser pointers and Yo-Yos. It must be a very dangerous type of Yo-Yo I can’t figure that one out. Maybe you don’t see a reason why someone would want a BB gun or paintball gun but other people enjoy just having fun with them same with sling shots even though you made one doesn’t change the fact they are outlawed hell I know how to make explosives but it is still illegal.

There is a long list of knives that are banned I guess they look scarier than your kitchen knife but they all cut about the same. It seems like your government has very little faith in the populace to where they treat you all like children but instead of sending you to your room they will lock you up in prison for misbehaving. I feel for you guys you have my sympathies. They’re some in my country that want to go in that direction but I can say with some confidence we will not let it get that far at least not in my lifetime.

I am just curious about this comment you made.

Water pistols? I bought a couple for my son for Christmas and they are plenty powerful enough.

So are you saying water pistols should be regulated for the pressure? Are there regulations on the pressure coming out of the water hose? They must have strict regulations on slipy slides as well maybe they put speed limits to how fast you can go. For goodness sake someone could get a rash. Think of the children those poor children.

I can’t keep a straight face typing this.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
They are going to Bann Rock throwing!
you can kill some one with a rock!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Mate, we have speed limited prams and breathalyzer activated mobility scooters.
Even our pointy scissors are rounded off.

Ever tried putting a muzzle on a pug dog? Or a cat??

edit on 19-1-2013 by Timely because: more ridiculousness

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC
reply to post by xxdaniel21

I say 'IT' because I'm busy banana bending over here and have no idea if your premier is male, female or ish.

Male, i think queensland is the only one with a female premier at the moment? Not so sure, but look his name up - it's Colin Barnett.

Originally posted by AussieAmandaC

You live it, we watch it and the cumulative energy keeps it all going, so thanks for being an adreneline junkie, you rock!
=free

haha thanks! It's something that seems to have worked in keeping my mind of certain things. My parents didn't approve at first, but ultimately i think deep down they have this sense of wishing they had done something similar when they were younger.

But back to the point, we all should understand what we are doing, and take some level of responsibility for our actions. Those that choose not to shouldn't be outdoors.

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Tikitiboo

SEE! even a little kid knows to duck! reminds me of one of mine.....
sweet little thang...

feral

posted on Jan, 19 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

"i think deep down they have this sense of wishing they had done something similar when they were younger. "

uh huh!...spot on!... and you will find their video fails, funny AND sad, since they didn't work up some sort of training before hand, usually accompanied by copious amounts of alcohol at some family function.

"I can do it!" sometimes just doesn't cover it

Actually they were very busy doing as they were told, busy getting on with paying bills buying into an empty dream with pretend stuff, and growing up and being responsible and having fears reinforced that they could hurt themselves or DIE!!!! Okay so we know you will die, here's your insurance for that, okay so we know you will have an accident, here's your insurance for that, okay we know your house will burn down, here's your insurance for that too, now go to work and pay for it all, sorry you still do have to die- this is fine print.
So let's not be too tough on them eh?

Perhaps they just need someone to train them and not treat them like they're already broken, old and dead, go throw your parents out of a plane, please. Do them a favour.
thrill them, shock them, revive them and the child that already died in them, is only in actaul fact sleeping......
shhhh

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join