It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Sheriff to VP: I won't enforce any new gun laws.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
LINK
I found this letter to be a well written response to the reactionary rush to push through new gun legislation. This Sheriff has served this country in the military, and continued to serve the public for 28 years in the Sheriff's office. He took an oath to defend the constitution, and he is dead serious about keeping it. I hope more law enforcement and military personnel step up to the plate and let their voices be heard!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I just found this and was just about to post it, but you beat me to it.

S&F

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Blundo

Local news advantage!

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Nice. This is second sheriff I've heard of in just a few days saying this. Bravo! Good to know we still have good guys wearing blue.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Beat me to it as well! Good catch. These local Sheriffs need all the support we can give them!
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."
edit on 15-1-2013 by LetsGoViking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It's just a thought, but this is ATS and all..... What if we've all been wrong about thinking the Federal weapons, armor, drones and strength in new numbers is about normal citizens at all? What if the increases at the federal level have been about anticipating conflict with state and local authority as independent cases come up? Hmmm...

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Yeah, I hope that is not the case. I think that tptb know there will be LEO's and Vetrans who simply will not stand for the disarmament of the American public. They are going to have to bring in foreign troops if they want to go full on Katrina style confiscation in this country.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This is starting to get REAL interesting. Even IF all the legally registered gun owners, turned in their firearms...how are they going to deal with those that got their weapons via the black-market? What about those unregistered assault weapons?

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VikingWarlord

Blackwater had another division in the start. It was called Greystone. I have no idea if that's the same one as exists today since i haven't kept that close track of Blackwater/Xe/whatever they call themselves now....and it's off-shoots. I do recall reading about Blackwater though and their division by that name having been the Non-U.S. Contingent of private security contractors from other nations.

It always made me think it may not be as hard as we'd like to imagine it would be for foreign armed forces to appear here and not necessarily the formal 'military' of any other Nation-State.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

As scary as the thought of foreign troops or mercenaries running occupying our soil is, I really don't think they have the balls to do it. I think they will ram all the legislation through that they can while Sandy Hook is fresh in the minds of the public. They might try to bite off more than they can chew, however.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BlowinSmoke

The shear logistics of going house to house to house, searching for contraband, should hopefully deter any thought of doing so. There will ALWAYS be "assault" rifles around, no matter how badly the government wants them gone. Like you say, the black market has always been around for criminals to purchase firearms. The drug wars aren't working out so well, neither will this.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by VikingWarlord

As scary as the thought of foreign troops or mercenaries running occupying our soil is, I really don't think they have the balls to do it. I think they will ram all the legislation through that they can while Sandy Hook is fresh in the minds of the public. They might try to bite off more than they can chew, however.

They are testing for resistance ATM, and to my partial surprise, it is coming in pretty heavily from all sides against them, from citizens who actually own guns, and LEOs, and Im hoping the military as well.

Look at the explosive increase in gun sales... people aint buyin guns so they can return them for 1/10th the price! There are hundreds of millions of guns in America in the hands of the people, and it would be absolute hell for TPTB to try and take them with all the resistance Ive been seeing people show... not even with foreign troops, or psychopathic foreign/domestics mercs could they do it.

Hypothetically if they tried doing it that way, and LEOs and perhaps some military was with the public (of which they are a part), the casualty rates on the invaders side would be incredibly demoralizing, even for the mercenary psychopaths who revel in murdering people, after all, they dont want to actually get shot themselves, and if a high powered rifle is potentially behind every silent door and every shaded window, you can bet your bottom dollar TPTB will have NO ONE volunteering to fight their war against the citizens for them, no matter how much pay they offered.
edit on 1/15/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LetsGoViking

Great post, these idiots forget who has the real power in this country; WE THE PEOPLE! We are the bosses, it is time they are reminded of that fact.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

No kidding. People aren't shelling out all that dough just to hand their weapons over to uncle sammy. It is darn near impossible for the local gun stores to keep any product on the shelves. I never thought I would see the shelves bare nearly everywhere.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The only realistic way they can do it is something even the good Sheriff can't do much about or stop. They can institute graduated federally based buy-back programs on weapons. What isn't turned in out of greed of owners will be stolen to be turned in by criminals or tipped by others looking for a cheap reward. That would take the numbers down by orders of magnitude before anyone has to talk a bit of force.

Even 15 years ago, such an idea would have been doomed to even mention. No possibility, in my opinion and citizens would more likely turn on those few who would turn each other in just for money.

That was then.... Now we have chronic unemployment well into double figures in entirely too many places. Actual hunger exists and a polarization that can be played like a tuned piano which didn't exist back then is the norm today.

It would probably work.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Oh my... That would probably work. People are desperate, and everyone has their price. I haven't thought of that angle, and it has the highest probability of being successful.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I really think only the city folk would be turning in their guns for a Benjamin or two, and those who own them for novelty but have no sincerity about the 2nd.

Those who would be turning them in wouldnt ever use them anyway, IMO.

Honestly you can acquire tons more food, literally, with a gun and 10 dollars worth of bullets than you can with the money youd get from some rip off buy back program.
edit on 1/15/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Blackwater had another division in the start. It was called Greystone. I have no idea if that's the same one as exists today since i haven't kept that close track of Blackwater/Xe/whatever they call themselves now....and it's off-shoots. I do recall reading about Blackwater though and their division by that name having been the Non-U.S. Contingent of private security contractors from other nations.

It always made me think it may not be as hard as we'd like to imagine it would be for foreign armed forces to appear here and not necessarily the formal 'military' of any other Nation-State.

John Q. and Billy Bob Public would flip over seeing foreign armed troops on American streets. They'd go from prairie dog hunters into snipers in a matter of days. Bringing in *any* foreigners would be an extremely foolish thing to do.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   

When I got home from work an hour ago, I saw this posted by tons of people on my facebook. I believe the first sheriff to do this was from Kentucky. I emailed my sheriff, asking if they will follow suit. Im hoping the reply will be the same as these sheriffs.

posted on Jan, 15 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It's just a thought, but this is ATS and all..... What if we've all been wrong about thinking the Federal weapons, armor, drones and strength in new numbers is about normal citizens at all? What if the increases at the federal level have been about anticipating conflict with state and local authority as independent cases come up? Hmmm...

It's all explained quite nicely, in this little analogy...

If you chain a dog in the middle of the yard, with a 10 foot chain, you will...NEVER...EVER...see a 5 foot ring around the stake!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join