It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The wonders of the human cell - The metabolic pathways chart

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you thought there was anything at all simple about how the human body works, this chart will blow you away.

SOURCE

The 22nd (2003) edition of the IUBMB-Sigma-Nicholson Metabolic Pathways Chart contains updated pathways involved in ATP metabolism in the mitochondria and chloroplast. The "backbone" of the map is the Glycolytic Pathway followed by the TCA (Krebs) Cycle and the Respiratory Chain which together lead to the synthesis of ATP by ATP Synthase. ATP is the source of most of the energy required for all life. Many biosynthetic and breakdown pathways of metabolism such as carbohydrates, amino acids, lipids are associated with this backbone and are differentiated by the use of color. Human metabolism is distiguished where possible by the use of black arrows. Some 550 reactions are identified by their IUBMB Enzyme Commission (EC) numbers which are then indexed.

Use Adobe Reader's Zoom-In Tool when viewing chart.

And here is the link to the PDF version of the chart...

This CHART is far too large to post in the thread. In fact, you have to expand it to 200% in the PDF file to even read it.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Very cool chart, thanks OP! S&F

I knew the processes in our bodies were complex, but this is amazing. A lot of conversions in sugars that I didn't know took place, specifically sorbitol.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Now this is the stuff I love ever since I first realized the myth of the "simple cell" that's repeated to this day. The cell is not only far from simple, it's a city-wide collection of living entities which work in tandem, and then, wonder of wonders, splits in two without losing any cohesivness. "Simple one-celled animals" indeed.

Can someone bring over the whole chart or bits of it for viewing here? Thanks.
edit on 11-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It took a little work because the full chart is only available as a PDF file. But I managed to do some stuff that let me end up with some JPG files of it.

First - A small section blown up. Resolution is not too good

And a reduced size for uploading picture of the full chart.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
That's just WEIRD!!

You must be CHEMICALLY IMBALLANCED

Take one of these generic screw you up pills and allow your body to adjust to all the side effects. That should unweird you out.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Now what can I do with a lot of those cells.
Yeah thats me.
I can look and see and type on ATS.
Plus more important life support functions.

Amazing diagrams.
I find that in most any undertakings or jobs you might find someone working on
diagramming the operation. Mostly to show to the boss.
Ed: Man who make the best diagram wins.
That has to be the all time winner diagram cause its one of us, a cell.

edit on 1/11/2013 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
During a certain experience we shall not discuss I had the pleasure of realizing just how complex the human body really is. When you get to make this realization of what exactly it takes to keep you alive, your mind will be absolutely blown. It is staggering. In fact I don't know if there are words in any human language to describe how incredible it is. A simple motion of your finger or something as simple as a smile takes thousands of processes that you will never ever know about while you're actually performing that function, and it is a very GOOD thing that you don't go through life being aware of each of these steps. You wouldn't be able to step out of your house if you had to be aware of every single function that makes it possible for you to get your feet to hold you up and walk you over to that door. I got to experience some of that, which made me appreciate life on a whole new level. The complexity of the human cell and this chart does not surprise me, but I like to see it all drawn out like this. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Wow I can clearly see how that complex chemical engine arose by pure accident and random chance.

I can also clearly see that Darwinian theory is actually a religion.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   
OK Happy Kat, I've spent the last 39 seconds memorizing all the processes, I think it's time to test you!

Who figures this stuff out anyways and hey why is everybody still so fat?
Cool post thank you....ATP.....hmmmmm
brice
edit on 12-1-2013 by brice because: (no reason given)

top topics

join