It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion keeping others in a box?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
It is very evident on here and elsewhere that when something is different than what you are taught, or is not specifically stated in the Bible, or other religious texts, others will assume it is the work of Satan.

Where does this stem from?

Is this the goal of religion, to keep others inside of their own perceived bubble?

For instance, if you mention other texts that are not included in the bible, it is either Satan or said writer was not of God.

Another example, is when others speak that they have spoken to an angel, another will come in and say no, do not speak to them, it could be a demon.

Did God only want man to gain knowledge from the bible and not other areas of life?

*I speak of organized religion, not personal religion.
edit on 10-1-2013 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
i personally feel that we are supposed to develop a personal relationship with god. i can understand people spreading his word. But i don't see why we need others to interpret the bible.

I feel it was meant to be interrupted differently for different people.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I personally believe that religion keeps GOD in a box.......Religion as little to do about God and more to do about man.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logos23
I personally believe that religion keeps GOD in a box.......Religion as little to do about God and more to do about man.

This is true. It speaks of more of how to be and less of how Father is.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by misse2miss
i personally feel that we are supposed to develop a personal relationship with god. i can understand people spreading his word. But i don't see why we need others to interpret the bible.

I feel it was meant to be interrupted differently for different people.

I agree, when you start taking others words for Father, then you set yourself up to getting their version and not the truth.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
Another example, is when others speak that they have spoken to an angel, another will come in and say no, do not speak to them, it could be a demon.

Did God only want man to gain knowledge from the bible and not other areas of life?

“Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings - that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide.”

— Buddha

I think this is why it's important to question, think, and meditate on important matters.

One person's demon is another person's guru. Blanket dismissal or acceptance are both as bad as each other. I personally believe that any higher being will understand the conclusions you come to so long as they are backed with good reasoning and thought.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Is this the goal of religion, to keep others inside of their own perceived bubble?

So, which "perceived bubble" do you live in?

You say you don't subscribe to Christianity, yet you're the one who has stated more than once that Christianity is the religion that's closest to the truth. Then, on the flip side, you claim that there are many ways to God.

What is the truth, jhill?

Is this quote from you on another thread your truth?

Jesus came in the flesh from above to save man, and is lord over all, here and above.

Why do you pick on religion? I really must know.

What is your goal or agenda? Don't tell me that you're only asking questions to get the thoughts of others because you've already asked this question before. Your agenda appears to be to turn people away from religion.

edit on 11-1-2013 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I agree.

Religions keeps their followers isolated from True Meaning of Love.

One common example: John's friends believe that John must convert into their religion to be saved from Hell.

John's friends' intention is good, but if we see carefully, the way they love John as their friend is Blind.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by dodol

If we wanted to get technical, we could say that the definition of "love" itself is so broad that no two definitions are the same anyway, depending on who you're dealing with. Religion or no religion.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Must be talking about Christian burials.? I got noth'in ..

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Organized religion = someone else thinking for you.

Personal religion/Agnostic/Atheist = you thinking for yourself

I know many of my old high school friends used to go to church but they always tell me, they do it to not piss of there parents, and they don;t really believe the stories.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

It is very evident on here and elsewhere that when something is different than what you are taught, or is not specifically stated in the Bible, or other religious texts, others will assume it is the work of Satan.

Where does this stem from?

Sometimes people feel a pressure to end their debate and settle some questions in their mind so that they can get on with their lives. So they harden into an orthodoxy. They then project onto the figure of "satan" so that they can keep the inner debate from starting again. Gotta work in the morning, after all! Gotta get the kids to school!

Sometimes people feel pressure to keep questioning and seeking and learning. So they resist orthodoxy. Other people will then project "satan" onto them.

/shrug

To each their own.

edit on 11-1-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by dodol

If we wanted to get technical, we could say that the definition of "love" itself is so broad that no two definitions are the same anyway, depending on who you're dealing with. Religion or no religion.

Thanks. You're right.

I realized that my post is ambiguous.

What I mean is Love as in religion context.
All religions promote Love and advice everyone to love each other.
Sadly, most religious people don't love others as the way it should.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
Organized religion = someone else thinking for you.

Personal religion/Agnostic/Atheist = you thinking for yourself

Accepted science = someone else thinking for you.

Pseudoscience/Baseless speculation/Just making stuff up = you thinking for yourself

Sometimes, people who existed before you did were pretty smart and have done a lot of the "heavy lifting" of sorting out reality for you. Not to say that they're all right, or that you shouldn't question their conclusions, but it's a bit of a stretch to say that if you don't reject religion, you're on the road to nowhere, spiritually.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

There are those in Christianity who have a dualist view of reality, and see the Earth as a battleground between the forces of light and darkness. Looking around, it's somewhat hard to disagree, but you have to put things like "if it's not from God, it's from Satan" in that context, if you actually want to understand why people act that way.

If you're just complaining, well, point taken, and I'm one of those who doesn't think that it's a matter of duality. Sometimes reality sucks, and it's neither God or Satan's doing.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Yeah sadly, religion does not have something called a peer review, or a repeatable test.

Thais how you test it yourself, even change methods if you like, for example to prove, e.coli is a gram negative bacterium.

Now that is not someone else thinking for you, that is you trying to prove them wrong.

That is what i love about science, people are each others throat, not for their belief but to prove one wrong, but in the end they get a collaborative result which is a fact.

say yes to anything your preachers says and no question is = believing in what someone tells you.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I agree that if you are willing to learn about the texts off your own accord, you will certainly get more out of religion than letting someone else teach you what its all about. I learnt my way without getting to deep into it but what it allowed me to do was move on to other texts from different cultures. What I learnt was that they all lead to the same thing whether it is for real or just a ridiculous control program.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

That wasn't really my point.

The problem that I have with anti-religious types is that, if religion is right (and I'm not saying that it is, just "if" it is,) then they're going to be wrong, not because of their truth seeking, but because they're just being contrarian.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Yeah lets get rid of religion. Especially the holy bible. Since it has alot of history in it. Almost a history book in some ways. An origins tale of mankind. And prophecies of the future. Aswell as a guideline for good living behavior.

A teacher in what to do and what not to do. Even god makes mistakes in it to show mankind he is not perfect.

But enough about that. Lets look at the world beyond religion.

Now that people no longer believe in punishments in the after life. Now that there is no karma or anything that says consequence.

What would keep people from killing each other and committing suicide on mass scales. Worse then now. As a lot of fickle minded people use it as a crutch to stay away from horrendous acts.

A lot of people fall back on this bible to keep themselves from destroying lives around them.

Think about how many bad people there are in your daily life. A lot of them may act like they are good people but deep down that smile and small talk is just a facade to hide whats really going on.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Manunnaki

Now that people no longer believe in punishments in the after life. Now that there is no karma or anything that says consequence.

Your sarcasm in the post in general is duly noted....
however,
the above quote references "punishments in the after life", and "no karma" or "anything that says consequence".

Where did you pick up that idea? Just curious.
Even atheists say there's just NOTHING - no afterlife, no nothing, no awareness.....

I don't believe anyone said anything about there being an afterlife FREE OF CONSEQUENCES - or karma not being an issue.

Can you please explain what stance you're coming from? (Obviously you see a point in religion; I'm just not clear on where you came up with no consequences for anything, ever.)
~wild

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join