It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being American, Through My Eyes (yet another 2nd amendment thread)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

OP great thread unfortunately some here are only interested in making childish jabs at groups while completely ignoring your entire OP. They don’t have anything of substance to say so I foresee them on a mission to derail what you have written. It is too bad really you made some good points and others could learn from it however this debate has become a game for some. It will not matter if you show them facts or figures because they will dismiss them like they have time and time again. The anti-gun crowd is appealing to emotion it is the only tool they have. They do seem to be the oversensitive type of late.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The next off-topic post will result in a posting ban of at least 72 hours.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

OP like you I think something does need to be done about the violence in our culture but the question is what is that something. Gun legislation will not affect violence in our society that has been proven by other countries that have tried such actions. They treated the symptom while leaving the disease. Many people in those countries regret the knee jerk reaction their governments took. We should learn from those mistakes and not repeat them.

I think we have a serious mental health issue in our country and we need to take steps to fix it. I do know there is no magic bullet when dealing with violence instead it will take efforts in many areas to make our society safer.

I know Reagan is renowned as a great president but he screwed up many things that have helped bring us to the world we live in. When he shut down the mental health system cutting funding that forced the mentally ill out into the streets. There is a stigmata with people who are considered mentally ill which dissuades them from seeking help and the current system that is in place is so substandard and understaffed that even after people jump through those hoops they may not receive adequate care.

During that same administration the government was bringing in massive amounts of coc aine to fund the Iran Contras which sparked off the crack epidemic in our country all the while our president stood in front of the TV and spoke about the war on drugs and would parrot to children to Just say No. I personally lost much faith in our government after learning about that cover-up. It could be we are simply paying the price for past mistakes that have affected our society.

We now face an invisible drug war that is ongoing on our boarders and influx of new designer drugs that each one is worse than the last. Meth makes you look like a Zombie and that new drug makes people act like Zombies actually attacking and eating people. Our prisons are full of people from drug charges like Marijuana while violent offender gets early parole due to overcrowding.

There is a huge mess in our government especially dealing with archaic idiotic laws and I can say with certainty that we do not need to be debating guns but debating the very real problems our nation faces. This gun debate is a slight of hand a distraction from the real problems and we can blame the MSM, our government, or the UN but the real blame falls on us for ignoring these things for so long. This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as the problems we face hell if climatchange holds an ounce of truth which the international community says it does then we are facing our own extinction but it goes widely ignored. That issue pisses me off to no ends because it is usually the same group that is complaining about leaving a debt for our grandchildren from spending but if you read some of the climate reports our grandchildren are going to be fighting for survival and no amount of money will help them at that point.

Sorry about the rant but there is so much going on in the world right now that demands our attention yet the headlines are only there for ratings. The human race seems to have an attention span of a goldfish when it comes to world issues.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   

I like the "Mighty Oak" analogy.

But your "Mighty Oak" has a disease.

Its time to take the Sick Oak down, so a New Oak can grow Strong again.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
2 problems with this thread

1st it had too many big words for most gun owners to understand so their not sure if your on their side or not

2nd the fail blog and list thing you linked are just way too funny and after anti gun people read them their too happy to argue with you.

So in the interest of maintaining my good mood Ill keep it simple and just say

Guns are bad

Sorry to confuse everyone with big words. I'm on the side of the line that every American should be on. Hope that clears it up!

As for number 2... Sometimes people are suffering fro major burnout when it comes to ATS. I thought those sites would be good additions. That sarcastic opening paragraph was actually more sincere than one might think.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyJae
Putting a gun ban in place will only fuel the black market. Does anyway seriously think the criminal element will willingly turn in their guns?

I was raised around guns. I was taught how to shoot, disassemble, clean, and reassemble them. I was also taught that they were not a toy, but a tool instead....a very deadly one. I grew up with a healthy respect for weapons and the damage they can do.

I was also taught to never pull my weapon unless I intended to use it, and then only in defense of myself, my family, or someone unable to defend themself. I hope I never have to use it; but I will not hesitate if the situation arises where I must.

J

We must have been neighbors! LOL I basically had the same upbringing with reguards to guns. As for your opening sentence. Do you think any constitution loving American will turn them in?

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

That was one of the major things I wanted to get across with this thread.

I've heard some very good and well thought out posts from the anti-gun crowd. I truely respect their opinion, but it is simply moot when it comes to the constitution. If the constitution can be changed legally I would get on board, but as it stands now, the imaginary line is there and cross it I will not.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ispyed

What gets me is that you can have to guns that are exactly the same functionally, but put a black stock and grip on it and all of a sudden it bacomes worse than marijuana in the 1930s.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Dyslexic huh? Remember the bullets go in pointy end, forward.

MOTF!
edit on 11-1-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

I know how you feel. However, I believe the 'crazy' people are far fewer than everyone thinks. Sure that all you see on the news, because, lets face it, crazy and horrible is about all that makes the news these days.

Think about it like people who are terrified to fly on an airplane. Per capita it is the safest way to travel, but that doesn't stop every plane crash from being plastered in our faces when they happen. Through the medias portrayal of all these 'horrible' crashes, they have essentially conditioned people to fear planes.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Please don't lump me in with that man. He did an incredible disservice to all gun owners. I'm not crazy at all. I would consider myself rather level headed. I know what the 2nd stands for and what it means to us all.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

To tell you the truth I dont believe it is the 'homeless crazy on the street' that we should be worrying with. Its the 20 something year old kid that has a mental problem, which his parents are too proud to admit that he needs help.

Isn't pride one of the 7 deadly sins?

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

I like the "Mighty Oak" analogy.

But your "Mighty Oak" has a disease.

Its time to take the Sick Oak down, so a New Oak can grow Strong again.

The only desease the mighty oak has is the guy trying to cut it down. Stop him and, in time, the tree will heal.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
1st it had too many big words for most gun owners to understand so their not sure if your on their side or not

Yet almost all of America which owns firearms will fully understand the big words sanctimonious, condescending, disingenuous, and unenlightened when I use them to describe the above quoted attempt at an insult.
Sometimes OPs don't get tremendous replies because everything which needed to be said was said by the OP.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

It was a bit of humour shared between me and the OP,

I only posted on the thread as he requested I do so via U2U.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Yes I agree with you and I thought I covered that when I talked about the stigmata that goes along with mental illness however my post was rather long and I covered a variety of subjects so I do not blame you for overlooking it.

There is no doubt in my mind that many of the recent shootings were preventable however the medicine needed for those to be prevented does not come in the form of gun legislation which I think we can agree on. Just to play devil’s advocate though I will say this if there were to be some kind of gun legislation I think it should be in the form of a mental health checkup when applying for a firearm however it is a slippery slope I am parroting and I am not sure how it should be implemented. That could prevent things down the road in time but at the moment it would do nothing about current gun owners like myself.

BTW I just bought a used .22 magnum at a gun show today from a private owner. That makes 18 firearms I own and there isn’t a one with a paper trail leading back to me. Not that it matters because I have had a CCW permit for years so I am fairly sure the government knows I have at least one pistol.
I just thought it would be interesting enough to mention.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join