It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being American, Through My Eyes (yet another 2nd amendment thread)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hello all. First of all let me say that YES there are a lot of Anti-American/Gun threads going around right now. I know, and before you even ask, YES there will be at least one more, this one. If you don't like it or are tired of all the American/Gun BS all together, please do us all a favor and check out this site or this one. They will surely get your mind off of all of the horrible things in this thread that you "knew you shouldn't have clicked on in the first place". Contained in this thread will be the opinions and ramblings of a completely sane man, me. Please, TRY to be civil. If you fear that you can't be civil, that's ok too, I'm not going to run and tell on you. Alas, lets start the show....

First of all, we need to look at being American, as a state of mind. I would like to mention the very reason that we are living in a 'free' country. Because a few hundred years ago a future American citizen said, essentially "I'm done with your b******t!" (before you even go there, I know 'the real Americans are the Indians' and I have spent enough time feeling sorry for them. We could very well wind up being the American Indians Version 2.0) We gained our independence from tyranny. The only way that happened was through a well armed public. We basically gave the rest of the world the proverbial middle finger, while welcoming people like us. All this happened because the people truly believed in what was happening. They saw through all the death and battles, through their being out matched/ out gunned, to a brighter future. A prosperous future for generations to come.

Fast forward a couple of hundred years. We still have that mindset. That it is better to be responsible for our own lives, than wait for some entity to come and take care of us.

You might ask yourself, "why haven't Americans done anything about their current situation yet?" To be honest there are many factors that lead to our inaction. The Boiling Frog Syndrome, while not being based on fact, is a very good metaphor to use when thinking about whats wrong with Americans. Our liberties have been whittled away little by little, and we are slowly starting to take a step back and looking at the big picture. I know it may be hard to picture in your head, so think about the mighty oak (our freedoms and liberties). One day a man decides he will cut it down with his trusty axe. With ech swing of his axe he takes away a little more wood and makes the oak a little more weak. Now, to the guy standing on the opposite side of the oak as the man with the axe, it still looks like a strong, might oak, he only hears a light thump, every once in a while. Then as the day progresses, there is a final swing of the axe, one final motion that will send the mighty oak to the ground. Sure, there will be another oak to grow in its place, but it wot be the same oak that once was there. We, as Americans, are on the verge of the final swing of the axe.

The second amendment isn't there for hunting. It's not there to make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. It's there to give people the freedom to defend themselves, their constitution, and their country. When every other peaceful measure has failed, the second amendment is there to tell you that, 'you don't have to bend over and take it'. You can be as free as you want to be. Countless numbers of people, Americans, have died to preserve that right.

I've read plenty of very logical and rational arguments against guns. I feel that they are misguided. Some people say, "we've come too far as a species for guns". To that I say, why? Because you have the internet and an idiot box with plenty of nice pictures in it? Look how well the Arab Spring worked. My contention is that we haven't changed much throughout history. Yes, we have become smarter, but we share the same instincts as people who lived hundreds of years ago. To be able to provide for ourselves and live a happy life. You know the whole, "Persuit of Happiness" thing.

If we were all able to 'sit down and talk it out', that would be a wonderful thing. If the anti-gun crowd could somehow reach an agreement with the por-gun crowd without infringing on the second amendment, then all would be good within most of us. Until that time comes, I'm sorry to say, the anti-gun crowd's opinion is moot, when compared to the little scrap of paper with words on it that so many people live by and have died for.

I know we live in uneasy times, where someone can, at will, go and do henious things to children, of all people, (My daughter turns 8 tomorrow, so the Sandy Hook shooting really hit home for me. I literally cried like a baby when I heard what happened) but, pulling my heart strings wont budge me, I'm like an unmoveable rock when it comes to doing what I believe is right.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.” - Edmund Burke

What saddens me is the fact that so many people don't understand history and are blinded by their heart strings being pulled. A knee jerk reaction shouldn't be able to unright everything America stands for, should it? Anyone that calls themselves a true American should already know that answer.

In the end, what I'm trying to tell you , is that there is definately an imagenary line being drawn. A line that is as real as any boarder on the map. While I agree that something needs to be done about our violent culture, I do not agree that chopping down my mighty oak is the proper route to take, because that will lead directly to everyone seeing how very real our 'imaginary line' is.

BEFOR POSTING PLEASE NOTE: Most of the people I know and myself aren't in sync with the government. This thread wouldn't be here if we were. This thread has to deal with internal matters within the United States of America. Not where our tenticles have reached out to. That is another thread for a later date.

Thank you for your time,
MessOnTheFED!
edit on 10-1-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Guess I'll be standing in the rain by myself. Oh, well.

MOTF!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
2 problems with this thread

1st it had too many big words for most gun owners to understand so their not sure if your on their side or not

2nd the fail blog and list thing you linked are just way too funny and after anti gun people read them their too happy to argue with you.

So in the interest of maintaining my good mood Ill keep it simple and just say

Guns are bad

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Putting a gun ban in place will only fuel the black market. Does anyway seriously think the criminal element will willingly turn in their guns?

I was raised around guns. I was taught how to shoot, disassemble, clean, and reassemble them. I was also taught that they were not a toy, but a tool instead....a very deadly one. I grew up with a healthy respect for weapons and the damage they can do.

I was also taught to never pull my weapon unless I intended to use it, and then only in defense of myself, my family, or someone unable to defend themself. I hope I never have to use it; but I will not hesitate if the situation arises where I must.

J

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

Personally to me the arguments of the anti-gunners are irrelevent,the constitution is the final word on law in America even though its constantly under attack it is the contract between the people and the govt and its not negotiable

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyJae

Few people are asking for a gun ban. Problem is a lot of shootings appeared to be caused by people having a bad day.

I think you have a good personal attitude towards gun ownership, that a gun is a tool not a toy. I'm not sure all gun owners have such a responsible attitude.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by JBlitzen

I like your dig about gun owners like myself not understanding big words. I started to correct all the grammatical and spelling errors in your post but gave up when I realized that the forum software simply isn't powerful enough to keep up with your mistakes. So I'll just pick one, and thus remind you that "their" should never be used where it can be replaced with "they are". Instead, use "they're". And guns are good.

You knew exactly what I meant so no need for corrections

But Id like to thank you for highlighting my dyslexia, for years I avoided writing of any kind due to the fact I was often teased as a child. I lurked around this site for years till I finally got the courage to join. even now I feel self concious when posting and worry about people like you coming along and using my poor spelling and grammer as an excuse to dismiss what I say or automatically think Im stupid.
Auto correct helps me alot but it doesnt know context so there,their and theyre often get mixed up in my posts.
Where as my comment about big words was a generalisation and said tongue in cheek your comment about my spelling and grammer was personal and nasty.
People like myself with disabilities dont need trolls like you highlighting them and putting us down as opposed to commenting on the post itself.

If you have any decency an apology for the personal attack and highlighting my disability would be nice

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff

I like your dig about gun owners like myself not understanding big words. I started to correct all the grammatical and spelling errors in your post but gave up when I realized that the forum software simply isn't powerful enough to keep up with your mistakes. So I'll just pick one, and thus remind you that "their" should never be used where it can be replaced with "they are". Instead, use "they're". And guns are good.

You knew exactly what I meant so no need for corrections

But Id like to thank you for highlighting my dyslexia, for years I avoided writing of any kind due to the fact I was often teased as a child. I lurked around this site for years till I finally got the courage to join. even now I feel self concious when posting and worry about people like you coming along and using my poor spelling and grammer as an excuse to dismiss what I say or automatically think Im stupid.
Auto correct helps me alot but it doesnt know context so there,their and theyre often get mixed up in my posts.
Where as my comment about big words was a generalisation and said tongue in cheek your comment about my spelling and grammer was personal and nasty.
People like myself with disabilities dont need trolls like you highlighting them and putting us down as opposed to commenting on the post itself.

If you have any decency an apology for the personal attack and highlighting my disability would be nice

What goes around comes around. When you apologize for making the same attack, then I'll apologize for responding in kind.

And I think it's particularly offensive of you to use an insult based on a disability which YOU YOURSELF HAVE. That is indicative of a level of self-loathing which I truly pity, though one I have heard is common among liberals.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Did I insult you personally?

Anyone who isnt overly sensitive could see it was an attempt at humour, maybe a bad one but still it was pretty obvious.

You made fun of me personally, not liberals or gun grabbers but me personally!!!!!

When Ive insulted people personally Ive apologised, I apologised to the OP of this thread previously when I was out of line.

Maybe you werent aware of my disability but now you are aware can you not see how your comments could in fact be considered hurtful?
Or is upsetting me and making me feel self concious OK because I dont agree with what you say?

I dont mind if you call my ideas stupid but I feel you crossed a line.

If you have no issues with the fact you made me feel bad no need to respond but Id like an apology

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The fact that you have a disability doesn't excuse you from demonstrating basic courtesy. You are neither less of nor more of a person because of your disability. Therefore I don't grant you special exceptions when it comes to making fun of people.

So what goes around comes around. When you apologize, I'll apologize.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

When I attack you personally Ill apologise,

Forget about it, the fact you made a complete stranger feel like cr@p obviously isnt any big deal to you, your probably even patting yourself on the back due to the fact you made a "liberal" unhappy.

It doesnt help your side look good when you say things like Ill apologise when you do.
To me that implies you are aware an apology is in order but are being stubborn.

Be the bigger man, admit you can be wrong and are willing to acknwoledge it

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Just because we have the right to own guns, that does not mean we are responsible and mentally stable enough to own them.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Enough!

That will do thank you. Around here we focus on the topic. Not on each other. And much less so on grammar, disability or any side-tracking theme.

Focus on the topic. Full stop.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Sorry for the derailing, I got a bit worked up.

that exchange though is a great example of the average gun owners mantality.

They know they are in the wrong and instead of changing their ways or as in this case apologising, they fall back on ignoring the questions or issues and putting back on other people.

Ill give up my guns when the crims do, Ill apologise when you do.

Gun owners are never wrong even when its blatantly obvious they are

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
reply to post by Gemwolf

Sorry for the derailing, I got a bit worked up.

that exchange though is a great example of the average gun owners mantality.

They know they are in the wrong and instead of changing their ways or as in this case apologising, they fall back on ignoring the questions or issues and putting back on other people.

Ill give up my guns when the crims do, Ill apologise when you do.

Gun owners are never wrong even when its blatantly obvious they are

I don't have problem with people exercising their second amendment, but most gun advocates here remind me of Alex Jones from the Piers Morgan debate.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

LOL that makes me laugh everytime, the way he loses it and the look on PMs face is just priceless

I actually like AJ and had never heard of PM before all this and while I agree with him on the issue of guns I really cant stand the guy.

It gets even better just after that clip

PM: are you done
AJ: Yes Im done (continues ranting and raving for another 3 minutes)

Classic

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join